screen and contentPlaceHolder absolute sizes

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Andy B, Aug 24, 2008.

  1. Andy B

    Andy B Guest

    I have a div on the master page that is 600px high. It has a left pannel,
    main content (contentPlaceHolder) inside another div and a footer. What I am
    looking for is a few things:

    1. How do you use .net (VB) or javascript to make sure the browser sticks to
    800x600?
    2. Is it possible to set the "leftPannel" (a div element) to a certain size
    and put it on the screen in a certain place regardless of how much content
    is in the contentPlaceHolder?
    3. The last question brings up this one. If you can do #2 above, how do you
    add a scrollbar to the contentPlaceHolder to make it scroll if there is too
    much content to physically fit on the screen without moving all of the other
    elements on the master page?
    4. Practically, is 800x600 browser screen size even a good size anymore? Or
    should the minimum size of the window be larger? I ask because on reading
    articles about css, they all mentioned that using relative numbers like 20%
    wide was a huge issue with IE6/7 and other browsers. If this is the case,
    what should I do?

    Andy B, Aug 24, 2008