Screen captures

Joshua Beall

Hi All,

Most of you have probably seen the spam emails that tell you to go check out
their search engine optimizer, so you can get a better ranking in the search
engines. Something interesting I have noticed is that some of these spams
actually have a screenshot of your website. My question is, how is this
done? How would you write a script that would render an HTML page, and
store that data to an image file?

In my particular case, we have a flash movie for a children's site that
allows them to "paint" a picture. What I would like to do is take a screen
capture when they are done, and mail it to the email address they give,
maybe put it up in a gallery of past artwork, etc. We have tried to figure
out a way to do this in flash, and basically the response we have gotten
back is "you cannot do what you are trying to do" (the flash move is
complex, and when we try to save it as an image, important parts are dropped
out). If we could simply do a screen capture, it would solve our problem.

But our specific implementation is not terribly important, I really just
want to know how to do these screen captures!

Any thoughts?

Sincerely,
-Josh

Toby A Inkster

Joshua said:
But our specific implementation is not terribly important, I really just
want to know how to do these screen captures!

By starting a browser and taking a screen capture.

Toby A Inkster

Jochen said:
I think he meant automatically and from a large number of pages.

I know he did, but the answer's the same: you write a script that starts
a browser and takes a screen capture and then run that script on a huge
batch of sites.