Screen captures

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Joshua Beall, Jan 19, 2004.

  1. Joshua Beall

    Joshua Beall Guest

    Hi All,

    Most of you have probably seen the spam emails that tell you to go check out
    their search engine optimizer, so you can get a better ranking in the search
    engines. Something interesting I have noticed is that some of these spams
    actually have a screenshot of your website. My question is, how is this
    done? How would you write a script that would render an HTML page, and
    store that data to an image file?

    In my particular case, we have a flash movie for a children's site that
    allows them to "paint" a picture. What I would like to do is take a screen
    capture when they are done, and mail it to the email address they give,
    maybe put it up in a gallery of past artwork, etc. We have tried to figure
    out a way to do this in flash, and basically the response we have gotten
    back is "you cannot do what you are trying to do" (the flash move is
    complex, and when we try to save it as an image, important parts are dropped
    out). If we could simply do a screen capture, it would solve our problem.

    But our specific implementation is not terribly important, I really just
    want to know how to do these screen captures!

    Any thoughts?

    Sincerely,
    -Josh

    Joshua Beall, Jan 19, 2004

  2. Joshua Beall wrote:

    > But our specific implementation is not terribly important, I really just
    > want to know how to do these screen captures!

    By starting a browser and taking a screen capture.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby A Inkster, Jan 19, 2004

  3. Toby A Inkster wrote:
    > By starting a browser and taking a screen capture.

    I think he meant automatically and from a large number of pages.

    Jochen

    Jochen Buennagel, Jan 19, 2004
  4. Davmagic .Com, Jan 19, 2004
  5. Jochen Buennagel wrote:

    > Toby A Inkster wrote:
    >> By starting a browser and taking a screen capture.

    > I think he meant automatically and from a large number of pages.

    I know he did, but the answer's the same: you write a script that starts
    a browser and takes a screen capture and then run that script on a huge
    batch of sites.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby A Inkster, Jan 19, 2004