    of a better way to handle resolution problems in asp.net? Thanks in
    advance

    -Rob
    Robert Bull, Sep 29, 2004

  2. Robert Bull

    Hermit Dave Guest

    depending upon how long one has been coding on the web, you do face the
    problem. There are a couple of ways.

    a. Fix the minimum size at one point a good few years back 800x600 was
    optimum for general viewing.
    what you would do is fix the size of the table and that would control
    whether you get scrollbars or you dont. and how and where everything is
    placed.
    b. You could also use percentages the only problem being that it will look
    different on different resolutions.
    c. you could set the parameters witdh programmatically by detecting the user
    screen settings.

    --

    Regards,

    Hermit Dave
    (http://hdave.blogspot.com)

    Hermit Dave, Sep 29, 2004

  3. Hi Rob,

    Maybe this free control will help you?

    http://www.metabuilders.com/Tools/ResizeMonitor.aspx

    Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP], Sep 29, 2004
  4. Robert Bull

    darrel Guest

    > One solution I
    > have is to use some javascript to determine the resolution of their
    > screen and redirect them to a duplicate form

    Screen resolution has nothing to do with the size of a web page. The size of
    the web page is based on the size of the web browser's viewport. This
    doesn't have a direct correlation to screen resolution unless you can
    guarantee that all users will be browser with their browser maximized on a
    desktop computer without their bookmarks/history pane open.

    Which is hard to do.

    > Anybody know
    > of a better way to handle resolution problems in asp.net?

    It's not really an ASP.net issue...it's a general web design issue. Whenever
    you can, don't design for any specific size. Use a fluid/liquit layout and
    let the end-user make the decision.

    -Darrel
    darrel, Sep 29, 2004
  5. Robert Bull

    darrel Guest

    > a. Fix the minimum size at one point a good few years back 800x600 was
    > optimum for general viewing.

    A fixed size is ok, but there's really no such thing as 'opimum' size.
    Browser viewports can vary wildely from the PDA user to the high-res
    maximized browser user to the multi-screened, multi-browser poweruser.

    > c. you could set the parameters witdh programmatically by detecting the

    user
    > screen settings.

    Detect the browser viewport size...screen size won't tell you how big their
    browser viewport actually is.

    -Darrel
    darrel, Sep 29, 2004
  6. Robert Bull

    bruce barker Guest

    you also have to handle the system font size. to see this, on your machine
    go into display properties, under advanced, select large fonts.

    you should use flow layout, and design to a resonable size, say 800x600

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    bruce barker, Sep 30, 2004
  7. Robert Bull

    Hermit Dave Guest

    "darrel" <> wrote in message
    > > a. Fix the minimum size at one point a good few years back 800x600 was
    > > optimum for general viewing.

    > A fixed size is ok, but there's really no such thing as 'opimum' size.
    > Browser viewports can vary wildely from the PDA user to the high-res
    > maximized browser user to the multi-screened, multi-browser poweruser.

    If you read my post carefully... i said a few years back. There were hardly
    any PDAs. So all you programmed for was normal pcs.
    Yes you could have people with 1600x1200 res and 21inch monitors but how
    many of them will you find ? By Optimum i mean something that used to go
    with majority of web users at that point.

    > > c. you could set the parameters witdh programmatically by detecting the

    > user
    > > screen settings.

    > Detect the browser viewport size...screen size won't tell you how big

    their
    > browser viewport actually is.

    Yes there are a lot of other things to consider but it gives you a rough
    estimate.

    --

    Regards,

    Hermit Dave
    (http://hdave.blogspot.com)

    Hermit Dave, Sep 30, 2004
  8. Robert Bull

    darrel Guest

    > By Optimum i mean something that used to go
    > with majority of web users at that point.

    I understand. My point is that screen resolution doesn't correlate directly
    with browser viewport size.

    > Yes there are a lot of other things to consider but it gives you a rough
    > estimate.

    I find it a red herring type of statistic that slowly become sort of a
    believable urban legend...that everyone browses the internet on a desktop PC
    with a monitor set to 600x800 using Internet Explorer on Windows with a
    maximized window and no extra panes or toolbars showing and these three
    fonts installed and have 20/20 vistion and...

    The above sounds logical. You'd think, yea, I suppose most people would do
    that. But once you begin thinking that, you're not thinking in the context
    of the web anymore. You're thinking about a fixed, consistent canvas. And
    the web simply isn't a fixed, consistant canvas.

    So I usually try to knock that line of thinking out of a web developers head
    as soon as I can. ;o)

    Once a developer understands that, then it becomes much easier to know when
    it is OK to make a fixed size interface...typically when developing a web
    application targetted at a specific audience...and they become much more
    cogniscant of the fact that web design is much more about suggestiong things
    than dictating things to the end user. ;o)

    -Darrel
    darrel, Sep 30, 2004