screen resolutions

Sebastian Sowa

Hello.

Does anyone have good links to current (or older) statistics for surfer´s
screen resolutions? Would be very helpful in a present discussion about
mostly used configurations.
Thanks in advance.

Sebastian

Andrew Davidson

Evidently, some people think
resolution
does matter, or there wouldn't be a market for stats including
resolution.

They are mistaken. There's a lot of mistaken people out there. Try not to follow
them.
Why
shouldn't resolution matter, and why should knowing resolutions be thought
useless?

See my previous reply. Resolution doesn't matter, window size does, but you
can't gather statistics about that. The best solution is to make web-pages that
cope well whatever happens.

Hywel Jenkins

Thanks for that pointer, I wanted to find out too. In May, more or less
evenly split
between 800 by 600 and 1024 by 768, with almost trivial usage of some other
resolutions. I test my own stuff at those two resolutions for
appearance, and it's
good to know that that's adequate today. Evidently, some people think
resolution
does matter, or there wouldn't be a market for stats including
resolution. Why
shouldn't resolution matter, and why should knowing resolutions be thought
useless? If a page layout includes images of specified dimensions,
then resolution
is going to matter with respect to how the images will be placed, how
much room
they will take up relative to text, column width and page width, whether
images
will be in the same column as text about them, and whether or not the
page will be
displayed all at once on a single screen.
That's the misleading assumption that new developers make. For example,
my resolution is 1600z1200. Currently, my browser has about 500w x
1000h of me screen area. I also have toolbars that eat in to the
available desktop space. Knowing my resolution won't help you place
images so that your design looks nice - that's why we have fluid designs
which are, fortunately, becoming more popular.

Sebastian Sowa

Sebastian Sowa said:
Hello.

Does anyone have good links to current (or older) statistics for surfer´s
screen resolutions? Would be very helpful in a present discussion about
mostly used configurations.
Thanks in advance.

Sebastian

Thanks a lot. I currently try to fit webpages to nearly all resolutions (as
long as this is my measurement on proper screen-size fixing).

For that, 800x600 sets my basic requirement, what I wanted to get undergrid
on statistics.

Sebastian

Richard

Sebastian Sowa said:
Hello.

Does anyone have good links to current (or older) statistics for surfer´s
screen resolutions? Would be very helpful in a present discussion about
mostly used configurations.
Thanks in advance.

Sebastian

I try to design my pages at 1024x768 but leaving room in case some one uses
800x600.
I'd say since the advent of windows98, SR has been fairly standard at
1024x768.
The stats on my sites show this being true for the vast majority of
visitors.
What I don't like are the guys who insist upon cramming fine print on the
page as much as possible, then on either side, and in the middle, diluge us
with ads. That sucks.

nice.guy.nige

Hywel Jenkins wrote:
[screen resolution - bad idea but...]
Evidently, some people think resolution does matter, or there
wouldn't be a market for stats including resolution.

That is a free site. There is, therefore, no commercial market for those
stats.

As has been said by many others, screen resolution is completely irrelevant.
You could be presented on a super-dooper monitor running at 1280x1024
(though the browser window is probably far below that) or you could be
running on a very expensive, top-of-the-range mobile phone running at
whatever low resolution such things use... You should still be able to
deliver your product to a respectable degree or your client is going to get
a little cheesed off!

Cheers,
Nige

--
Nigel Moss.

Email address is not valid. (e-mail address removed). Take the dog out!
"They got the mustard out!"

P@tty Ayers

Well, there's definitely a statistical correspondence between resolution and window-size, so knowing resolution stats can help a lot.

Just to back this up a little - close to 100% of the non-geek users I've observed or asked maximize the browser window, right up to 1024 x 768 and beyond. They are almost all very surprised when I point out that there's any other option. My estimate is that the large majority of users have the browser window maximized, though usually with all browser toolbars visible and often with a browser sidebar open all the time.

Just in case anybody misses the point, I agree wholeheartedly that web pages should be designed to look decent at just about any window size. I just refute this insistence that resolutions statistics are completely irrelevant - they're actually pretty helpful in getting a clue as to what users are probably seeing.

kchayka

Hmm, I use a higher than average resolution and usually window sizes
smaller than 800x600, so knowing resolution helps in what way?
Just in case anybody misses the point, I agree wholeheartedly that
web pages should be designed to look decent at just about any window
size. I just refute this insistence that resolutions statistics are
completely irrelevant - they're actually pretty helpful in getting a
clue as to what users are probably seeing.

And if the page adjusts gracefully with virtually any window size, then
knowing resolution or window size helps in what way?

Anonymous Joe

kchayka said:
Hmm, I use a higher than average resolution and usually window sizes
smaller than 800x600, so knowing resolution helps in what way?

And if the page adjusts gracefully with virtually any window size, then
knowing resolution or window size helps in what way?

Yes, because everyone at alt.html designs pages for you.

Fact of a matter is 800x600 is a decent size to make pages to fit for.

Generally, everyone that I've seen browse the Internet uses the full-sized
window at either 800x600 or 1024x768. Unless they are doing stuff all
together at once then they might make the window less than full-size.

Typically, however, if somebody is going to go "browsing" the Internet, then
they have probably only that immediate task in mind, and are not
multi-tasking to a great extent (ie they are not also typing a document,
designing a graphic, writing an email, creating spreadsheet graphs, etc at
the same time).

So, there.

Andrew Davidson

P@tty Ayers said:
Well, there's definitely a statistical correspondence between resolution
and window-size

Unproven. Your quoted experience may support the statement. My expeience refutes
it. The statistics have nothing to say either way.
so knowing resolution stats can help a lot.

No. It just helps you fixate on the irrelevant.
Just in case anybody misses the point, I agree wholeheartedly that web
pages should be designed to look decent at just about any window size.

Glad to hear it. I agree wholeheartedly that black is black and white is white.
I just refute this insistence that resolutions statistics are completely irrelevant
they're actually pretty helpful in getting a clue as to what users are
probably seeing.

No. They just help to mislead newbies into believing it matters.

Here's the facts.

1. There is no intrinsic relationship between screen resolution and window
size.
2. There is no direct proprtion of viewable area to be deduced from a known
window size.
3. Thus, we cannot know what the user viewable area is.
4. Thus, we must make web pages work regardless of viewable area (perhaps
accepting that a minimum area could be mandated).
5. Hence it is pointless to waste our time using unreliable techniques to
gather irrelevant data in support of a foolish aim.

P@tty Ayers

kchayka said:
Hmm, I use a higher than average resolution and usually window sizes
smaller than 800x600, so knowing resolution helps in what way?

So do I. But I'm not designing web sites for you or me, but for millions of ordinary users, who usually maximize the window, or at the very least take advantage of the screen real estate they have.
And if the page adjusts gracefully with virtually any window size, then
knowing resolution or window size helps in what way?

I'd like to see a web site where all of the pages literally adjust gracefully to *any* window size. Pages almost always look somewhat better at one size than another, and so I spend more effort making my pages look good at more common sizes.

kchayka

Anonymous said:
Yes, because everyone at alt.html designs pages for you.
?

Fact of a matter is 800x600 is a decent size to make pages to fit for.

[snip other irrelevant stuff]

You haven't answered the question. Let me put it another way:

If a page adjusts well to both 400x300 and 1600x1200 window sizes, then
it will also adjust well to other window sizes between these two,
including 800x600, no? So, how does knowing screen resolution help in
any way?

P@tty Ayers

Andrew Davidson said:
[...]

Andrew, I respect your opinions but don't like the tone this is taking. I really don't like a heated debate on a subject that doesn't matter that much. I feel that resolution statistics are helpful; you feel they're useless. It's okay with me if we don't agree - hope it is with you.

Happy 4th of July, if you're in American. Well, heck, happy 4th anyway.

Best,

Patty

P@tty Ayers

If a page adjusts well to both 400x300 and 1600x1200 window sizes, then
it will also adjust well to other window sizes between these two,
including 800x600...

I would really appreciate seeing a page that fits this description. :)

Patty

Geoff Ball

I try to design my pages at 1024x768 but leaving room in case some one
uses 800x600.

What about those using higher screen resolutions? I use 1280x960, and
sometimes even 1400x1050.
I'd say since the advent of windows98, SR has been fairly standard at
1024x768.

What about those using a non-Windows OS?

Regards,
Geoff

Leif K-Brooks

P@tty Ayers said:
So do I. But I'm not designing web sites for you or me, but for millions of ordinary users, who usually maximize the window, or at the very least take advantage of the screen real estate they have.
Then design pages for EVERYONE!
I'd like to see a web site where all of the pages literally adjust gracefully to *any* window size.
http://w3.org/

Jacqui or (maybe) Pete

I try to design my pages at 1024x768 but leaving room in case some one uses ....
1024x768.
The stats on my sites show this being true for the vast majority of
I think there are a lot of people out there who design exclusively for
1024x767 [1], gather stats with javascript, and then feel happily
vindicated when their stats show that most of their visitors run at
1024x768 with javascript enabled.

Funny, that.

[1] I know I snipped that says that you're a bit more flexible.

Blindsya

I have only ever found that resolution matters when building a site with
frames. Even more reason not to make a frames site!