Screen Scrape

crjunk

I have a screen scrape page that allows the user to submit a url. When
they hit submit, the page is returned back to them on my screen scrape
page. Which computer actuall connects to the url to pull in the
information -the user's computer or the webserver?

Thanks,
CR Junk

Patrice

Note sure to understand the question. Do you mean your page fetch some other
page ? Then you should now how it works ?

Hard to say without seeing some code but IMO this is generally done server
side...

crjunk

Here is the code I'm using. I assume that the web server is connecting
to www.cnn.com or whatever the user types into the text box, but I'm
not positive.

Dim objWebClient As New WebClient

Dim strURL As String = txtScrape.Text.Trim
Dim objUTF8 As New System.Text.UTF8Encoding
lblHTMLOutput.Text =
objUTF8.GetString(objWebClient.DownloadData(strURL))

Thanks,
CR Junk

Mike Labosh

Dim objWebClient As New WebClient
Dim strURL As String = txtScrape.Text.Trim
Dim objUTF8 As New System.Text.UTF8Encoding
lblHTMLOutput.Text =
objUTF8.GetString(objWebClient.DownloadData(strURL))

Obviously, the computer running this code is the one that requests and
consumes the remote page. Since this looks like server-side code, I would
imagine that it's your IIS box fetching the page, not the client browser.
--
Peace & happy computing,

Mike Labosh, MCSD

"When you kill a man, you're a murderer.
Kill many, and you're a conqueror.
Kill them all and you're a god." -- Dave Mustane

Patrice

Server side in the context of a web application (note that this same code
would work in a Windows .NET application).

Basically :
- all the code that is triggered through Page events is server side code
- the "Page" runs server side and renders the HTML output that is sent to
the browser. When the page runs, it can include in the rendered output
client side code (most often JavaScript code) that will be executed client
side.