Screen size and resolution?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by PeterMcC, Dec 2, 2003.

  1. PeterMcC

    PeterMcC Guest

    Jean-Marc Rousset wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > We are in the process of developing a web site and are not sure about
    > what screen size & resolution to use. Any suggestions?
    > Is it safe to assume that *most* people have 15" screens in 800 x 600
    > ? Or 1024 x 768 ?
    > Also, how do you handle the browser's toolbars at the top, knowing it
    > may take some screen space ?
    > Can you detect the user's resolution?

    Have a look at:
    http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?AnySizeDesign

    --
    PeterMcC
    inappropriate or offensive in any way,

    PeterMcC, Dec 2, 2003

  2. Hi all,

    We are in the process of developing a web site and are not sure about what
    screen size & resolution to use. Any suggestions?
    Is it safe to assume that *most* people have 15" screens in 800 x 600 ? Or
    1024 x 768 ?
    Also, how do you handle the browser's toolbars at the top, knowing it may
    take some screen space ?
    Can you detect the user's resolution?

    Thanks for all suggestions,

    Jean-Marc

    Jean-Marc Rousset, Dec 2, 2003

  3. PeterMcC

    Steve Pugh Guest

    "Jean-Marc Rousset" <> wrote:

    >We are in the process of developing a web site and are not sure about what
    >screen size & resolution to use. Any suggestions?

    Forget all about them.

    >Is it safe to assume that *most* people have 15" screens in 800 x 600 ? Or
    >1024 x 768 ?

    No.

    >Also, how do you handle the browser's toolbars at the top, knowing it may
    >take some screen space ?

    Don't worry about it.

    >Can you detect the user's resolution?

    Not reliably. Anyway the resolution is irrelevant - not everyone surfs
    with their browser window maximised.

    See http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?AnySizeDesign

    Steve

    Steve Pugh <> <http://steve.pugh.net/>

    Steve Pugh, Dec 2, 2003
  4. Jean-Marc Rousset wrote:
    > Hi all,

    Greetings

    > We are in the process of developing a web site and are not sure about
    > what screen size & resolution to use. Any suggestions?

    Yes, use mine.

    > Is it safe to assume that *most* people have 15" screens in 800 x 600
    > ? Or 1024 x 768 ?

    /looks in garden shed

    yep: I've got one of each. Which one do I need to dust off to use your
    site?

    > Also, how do you handle the browser's toolbars at the top, knowing it
    > may take some screen space ?

    it will - you have no idea how much

    > Can you detect the user's resolution?

    in some circumstances, but that knowledge is of little, if any, value:

    http://www.xs4all.nl/~sbpoley/webmatters/flexdesign.html

    --
    William Tasso - http://WilliamTasso.com

    William Tasso, Dec 2, 2003
  5. PeterMcC

    Sid Ismail Guest

    On Tue, 2 Dec 2003 17:21:01 +0100, "Jean-Marc Rousset"
    <> wrote:

    : We are in the process of developing a web site and are not sure about what
    : screen size & resolution to use. Any suggestions?
    : Is it safe to assume that *most* people have 15" screens in 800 x 600 ? Or
    : 1024 x 768 ?
    : Also, how do you handle the browser's toolbars at the top, knowing it may
    : take some screen space ?
    : Can you detect the user's resolution?

    You don't. Cater for all.

    Sid

    Sid Ismail, Dec 2, 2003
  6. Jean-Marc Rousset wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > We are in the process of developing a web site and are not sure about
    > what screen size & resolution to use. Any suggestions?
    > Is it safe to assume that *most* people have 15" screens in 800 x 600
    > ? Or 1024 x 768 ?
    > Also, how do you handle the browser's toolbars at the top, knowing it
    > may take some screen space ?
    > Can you detect the user's resolution?

    A vital question - do you have any pixel-oriented content? For example,
    photographs, important graphics?

    If you don't, then listen to the people who suggest that you design without
    too much concern for the user's viewport size. Adapt to the latter.

    If you do, you have my sympathy. Not only do you have a problem for which
    current standards & tool support are inadequate. But you will also get little
    help from people who don't have that problem, and choose to ignore it.

    If you have to develop pixel-oriented material, such as photographs and
    important graphics, I suggest you do so on the assumption that people who want
    to see that content can handle an image of about 700 x 500. They can at least
    scroll, and people with much larger screens will at least get a plausible
    image.

    --
    Barry Pearson
    http://www.BirdsAndAnimals.info/

    Barry Pearson, Dec 2, 2003
  7. PeterMcC

    Richard Guest

    Jean-Marc! wrote:

    > Hi all,

    > We are in the process of developing a web site and are not sure about
    > what screen size & resolution to use. Any suggestions?
    > Is it safe to assume that *most* people have 15" screens in 800 x 600 ?
    > Or 1024 x 768 ?
    > Also, how do you handle the browser's toolbars at the top, knowing it may
    > take some screen space ?
    > Can you detect the user's resolution?

    > Thanks for all suggestions,

    > Jean-Marc

    If you can, design the site to float with the window size of the browser
    rather than resolution.
    Chances are the visitor will have 1024x768 and very few with anything lower.
    Of course you can detect the resolution, but who cares?
    If you're that worried, use something 900x700 as a size.
    At least those that refuse to upgrade won't have to do much scrolling.

    Richard, Dec 3, 2003
  8. PeterMcC

    Steve R. Guest

    Richard wrote in message ...
    > Chances are the visitor will have 1024x768 and very few with anything lower.

    Hang on there - Stats show that around 45 percent of ALL users are using 800 x 600,
    so you can't afford to ignore those people.

    Steve R., Dec 3, 2003
  9. PeterMcC

    Eric Bohlman Guest

    "Richard" <anonymous@127.000> wrote in

    > Chances are the visitor will have 1024x768 and very few with anything
    > lower. Of course you can detect the resolution, but who cares?

    Little fact of life: the larger the dimensions of a user's screen, the
    smaller the proportion of the user's screen that's likely to be occupied by
    his browser window.

    Eric Bohlman, Dec 3, 2003
  10. PeterMcC

    rf Guest

    "Richard" <anonymous@127.000> wrote in message
    > Jean-Marc! wrote:
    >
    > > Hi all,

    > > We are in the process of developing a web site and are not sure about
    > > what screen size & resolution to use. Any suggestions?
    > > Is it safe to assume that *most* people have 15" screens in 800 x 600 ?
    > > Or 1024 x 768 ?
    > > Also, how do you handle the browser's toolbars at the top, knowing it

    may
    > > take some screen space ?
    > > Can you detect the user's resolution?

    > > Thanks for all suggestions,

    > > Jean-Marc

    > If you can, design the site to float with the window size of the browser
    > rather than resolution.

    For once, some good advice.

    > Chances are the visitor will have 1024x768 and very few with anything

    lower.

    Last time I looked at the stats about 50% used 800x600.

    > Of course you can detect the resolution, but who cares?

    True.

    > If you're that worried, use something 900x700 as a size.

    What a stupid size. You will get a 100 pixel blank space on those who you
    assume use 1024xwhatever and you will gaurantee a scroll bar for 800x600. If
    the customer *insists* on a fixed size it should be 780 or whatever.

    > At least those that refuse to upgrade won't have to do much scrolling.

    Do you have the money and or the inclination to upgrade to my 3200x1200
    desktop? No? Well, dont assume such things for others. It is the height of
    arrogance to suggest that a viewers system is inadequate to display a web
    page.

    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Dec 3, 2003
  11. Lots of different opinions I see :)
    But still no conclusive answer about whether it's 800x600 or 1024x768 :(
    Does anybody know of a reliable source / stats site with this information?
    Thanks,

    Jean-Marc

    2zhzb.37457$...

    ?

    Jean-Marc Rousset, Dec 3, 2003
  12. PeterMcC

    Chris Morris Guest

    "Jean-Marc Rousset" <> writes:
    > Lots of different opinions I see :)
    > But still no conclusive answer about whether it's 800x600 or 1024x768 :(
    > Does anybody know of a reliable source / stats site with this information?

    No. There is no *reliable* source for this information. If you want
    an unreliable source, 20% of each, 20% of something else, and the
    other 40% flexible to justify your decision.

    Plus, as has already been stated, the resolution and the browser
    window size are independent. If you want to code for me, you should
    code to...919x696 today.

    --
    Chris

    Chris Morris, Dec 3, 2003
  13. PeterMcC

    kchayka Guest

    Chris Morris wrote:

    > Plus, as has already been stated, the resolution and the browser
    > window size are independent. If you want to code for me, you should
    > code to...919x696 today.

    No, he should code for me. That would be 700x700, Wednesday ~9:05 GMT
    -6, though the viewport size is somewhat smaller than that. Better
    check back in another hour, too, because it's likely to be different.

    :)

    --
    To email a reply, remove (dash)un(dash). Mail sent to the un
    address is considered spam and automatically deleted.

    kchayka, Dec 3, 2003
  14. PeterMcC

    Steve R. Guest

    Jean-Marc Rousset wrote in message ...
    > But still no conclusive answer about whether it's 800x600 or 1024x768

    It's neither. Didn't you bother to read the previous replies which pointed you to the
    website URL at the bottom of this message?

    The idea is that you design so that it floats to all reasonable sizes, ie no
    horizontal scroll bar in 800x600 window size, so that means no images wider than say
    750 pixels or series of images adding up to that figure, for example button gifs in
    line at the top of a page.

    If you use tables don't use fixed widths measured in pixels, use percentages intead
    so the page expands and shrinks to fit the browser window.

    Steve R., Dec 3, 2003
  15. PeterMcC

    Steve R. Guest

    Steve R., Dec 3, 2003
  16. PeterMcC

    Richard Guest

    Eric! wrote:

    > "Richard" <anonymous@127.000> wrote in

    >> Chances are the visitor will have 1024x768 and very few with anything
    >> lower. Of course you can detect the resolution, but who cares?

    > Little fact of life: the larger the dimensions of a user's screen, the
    > smaller the proportion of the user's screen that's likely to be occupied
    > by his browser window.

    huh?

    So if you have 200" screen, the browser will only be shown in 100" of it
    perhaps?
    I don't think so. The browser window can be maxed to fit the entire screen,
    and beyond.
    Screen size is irrelevant.

    Richard, Dec 3, 2003
  17. PeterMcC

    Richard Guest

    rf! wrote:

    > "Richard" <anonymous@127.000> wrote in message
    >> Jean-Marc! wrote:
    >>
    > >> Hi all,

    > >> We are in the process of developing a web site and are not sure about
    > >> what screen size & resolution to use. Any suggestions?
    > >> Is it safe to assume that *most* people have 15" screens in 800 x 600
    > >> ? Or 1024 x 768 ? Also, how do you handle the browser's toolbars at
    > >>the top, knowing it

    > may
    > >> take some screen space ?
    > >> Can you detect the user's resolution?

    > >> Thanks for all suggestions,

    > >> Jean-Marc

    >> If you can, design the site to float with the window size of the browser
    >> rather than resolution.

    > For once, some good advice.

    >> Chances are the visitor will have 1024x768 and very few with anything

    > lower.

    > Last time I looked at the stats about 50% used 800x600.

    >> Of course you can detect the resolution, but who cares?

    > True.

    >> If you're that worried, use something 900x700 as a size.

    > What a stupid size. You will get a 100 pixel blank space on those who you
    > assume use 1024xwhatever and you will gaurantee a scroll bar for 800x600.
    > If the customer *insists* on a fixed size it should be 780 or whatever.

    >> At least those that refuse to upgrade won't have to do much scrolling.

    > Do you have the money and or the inclination to upgrade to my 3200x1200
    > desktop? No? Well, dont assume such things for others. It is the height
    > of arrogance to suggest that a viewers system is inadequate to display a
    > web page.

    Who would want a resolution that size anyway? Going from 800x600 to
    1024x768, decreases what was the size of say a dialog box, to the point
    where you have to increase the font size to read it.
    So with 3200x1200, you'd have to 30 point fonts to do the work of 10 points.
    As 10 points would need a magnifying glass.
    Besides, that would be technically 3200x2400 not 3200x1200.

    Richard, Dec 3, 2003
  18. PeterMcC

    kchayka Guest

    Steve R. wrote:

    > Put some marks on the edge of
    > you monitor to show 800x600 etc, then you can regulary check that it *will* work in
    > 800x600 even though you are designing on a bigger monitor.
    >
    > http://www.anybrowser.com/ScreenSizeTest.html

    Though I agree with the general anybrowser philosophy, I have a personal
    problem with a site that claims to advocate size independence, but is
    fixed-width itself.

    A better idea is using bookmarklets that change your window size.
    There's lots of info on bookmarklets out there if you don't know what
    they are. Here's one such page:
    <URL:http://www.4umi.com/web/bookmarklet/>

    BTW, changing window size alone does not guarantee a page *will* work at
    that size or not, only that it *may* display acceptably at the given
    screen resolution and text size in that window size. There are many
    factors that may cause it to display differently at that window size,
    but if it's designed well, it will still be acceptable.

    kchayka, Dec 3, 2003
  19. PeterMcC

    Isofarro Guest

    Richard wrote:

    > rf! wrote:
    > > Do you have the money and or the inclination to upgrade to my 3200x1200
    > > desktop? No? Well, dont assume such things for others. It is the height
    > > of arrogance to suggest that a viewers system is inadequate to display
    > > a web page.

    > Who would want a resolution that size anyway?

    More screenspace for applications. The whole point of a multi-tasking
    operating system is to allow a user to run more than one application. More
    screenspace means more applications are viewable on screen at the same
    time.

    > Going from 800x600 to
    > 1024x768, decreases what was the size of say a dialog box, to the point
    > where you have to increase the font size to read it.

    Now you are making false assumptions on the monitor size and number of
    screens. Sheesh.

    --
    Iso.
    Web Design Tutorial: http://www.sitepoint.com/article/1010

    Isofarro, Dec 3, 2003
  20. PeterMcC

    Barefoot Kid Guest

    | Lots of different opinions I see :)
    | But still no conclusive answer about whether it's 800x600 or 1024x768 :(
    | Does anybody know of a reliable source / stats site with this information?
    | Thanks,
    |
    | Jean-Marc

    according to this 49% at 1024 or greater and 44% at 800
    Hung Diep
    New Media Designer
    www.intro-spect.co.uk
    0795 6576 319