Screen/Windows Size question for website

Elva

Hey all,

I have a question if someone can help me. ^_^
((My PC screen resolution is 1280*1024 Pixel))

I usually use either HTML Hand Coding or Dreamweaver
to make the website. Then I will preview the result in
IE to see how it works. And the windows/screen size just
looks prefect in my PC screen(1280*1024) when I browse
it. However, since some of my friends don't use the
resolution screen like 1280*1024 or higher, so they
usually see the layout of my WebPages are too large
or over screen. Therefore, I am just wondering
what should I change the screen size to 800*600
when I code my webpage with HTML. Since there still are
some people who are using 800*600. (Here is an example
that the screen size fit with 800*600 perfectly which is :
http://www.cnn.com )

Can anyone teach me how to do it either by hand coding
or Dreamweaver.

Hope you guys can understand what I am trying to describe
my question..:p

Thank you so much!!! *^-^*

Belle

Kris

Elva said:
[...]

<http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?AnySizeDesign>
Should clear things up and get you into the right direction.

Steve R.

Elva wrote in message ...
I am just wondering
what should I change the screen size to 800*600
when I code my webpage with HTML.

Don't change it to view at 800x600 and make it look like that www.cnn.com website - that's almost as
bad - it looks awful ranged to the left on a large monitor :~(

Without knowing your URL it's difficult to advise, but instead of using pixel widths for tables or
whatever try using percentages instead.

Try substituting say width="90%" if you're currently using width="1000" (or whatever) code for a
starters and see how it looks in a smaller window on your PC.

Can you post the URL for us to study in more detail?

Steve :~)

Toby A Inkster

Elva said:
And the windows/screen size just
looks prefect in my PC screen(1280*1024) when I browse
it. However, since some of my friends don't use the
resolution screen like 1280*1024 or higher,

Remove anything that says width="something".

Toby A Inkster

Whitecrest said:
Where something is a specific size, or where something is a percent or
both?

If you want to be extra sure, both!

Consider:

versus:

This is a trivial example, so it's easy to see what's going wrong in the
first example, but with more complex layouts it may not be.