Screen/Windows Size question for website

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Elva, Nov 23, 2003.

  1. Elva

    Elva Guest

    Hey all,

    I have a question if someone can help me. ^_^
    ((My PC screen resolution is 1280*1024 Pixel))

    I usually use either HTML Hand Coding or Dreamweaver
    to make the website. Then I will preview the result in
    IE to see how it works. And the windows/screen size just
    looks prefect in my PC screen(1280*1024) when I browse
    it. However, since some of my friends don't use the
    resolution screen like 1280*1024 or higher, so they
    usually see the layout of my WebPages are too large
    or over screen. Therefore, I am just wondering
    what should I change the screen size to 800*600
    when I code my webpage with HTML. Since there still are
    some people who are using 800*600. (Here is an example
    that the screen size fit with 800*600 perfectly which is :
    http://www.cnn.com )

    Can anyone teach me how to do it either by hand coding
    or Dreamweaver.

    Hope you guys can understand what I am trying to describe
    my question..:p

    Thank you so much!!! *^-^*

    Belle
    Elva, Nov 23, 2003

  2. Elva

    Kris Guest

    In article <YF1wb.280657$HS4.2480852@attbi_s01>,
    "Elva" <> wrote:

    > I have a question if someone can help me. ^_^
    > ((My PC screen resolution is 1280*1024 Pixel))
    >
    > I usually use either HTML Hand Coding or Dreamweaver
    > to make the website. Then I will preview the result in
    > IE to see how it works. And the windows/screen size just
    > looks prefect in my PC screen(1280*1024) when I browse
    > it. However, since some of my friends don't use the
    > resolution screen like 1280*1024 or higher, so they
    > usually see the layout of my WebPages are too large
    > or over screen. Therefore, I am just wondering
    > what should I change the screen size to 800*600
    > when I code my webpage with HTML. Since there still are
    > some people who are using 800*600. (Here is an example
    > that the screen size fit with 800*600 perfectly which is :
    > http://www.cnn.com )
    >
    > Can anyone teach me how to do it either by hand coding
    > or Dreamweaver.
    >
    > Hope you guys can understand what I am trying to describe
    > my question..:p

    <http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?AnySizeDesign>
    Should clear things up and get you into the right direction.

    --
    Kris
    erlands (nl)
    Kris, Nov 23, 2003

  3. Elva

    Steve R. Guest

    Elva wrote in message ...
    > I am just wondering
    > what should I change the screen size to 800*600
    > when I code my webpage with HTML.

    Don't change it to view at 800x600 and make it look like that www.cnn.com website - that's almost as
    bad - it looks awful ranged to the left on a large monitor :~(

    Without knowing your URL it's difficult to advise, but instead of using pixel widths for tables or
    whatever try using percentages instead.

    Try substituting say width="90%" if you're currently using width="1000" (or whatever) code for a
    starters and see how it looks in a smaller window on your PC.

    Can you post the URL for us to study in more detail?

    Steve :~)
    Steve R., Nov 23, 2003
  4. Elva wrote:

    > And the windows/screen size just
    > looks prefect in my PC screen(1280*1024) when I browse
    > it. However, since some of my friends don't use the
    > resolution screen like 1280*1024 or higher,

    Remove anything that says width="something".

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby A Inkster, Nov 23, 2003
  5. Elva

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > > And the windows/screen size just
    > > looks prefect in my PC screen(1280*1024) when I browse
    > > it. However, since some of my friends don't use the
    > > resolution screen like 1280*1024 or higher,

    > Remove anything that says width="something".

    Where something is a specific size, or where something is a percent or
    both?

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com
    Whitecrest, Nov 23, 2003
  6. Whitecrest wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >> > And the windows/screen size just
    >> > looks prefect in my PC screen(1280*1024) when I browse
    >> > it. However, since some of my friends don't use the
    >> > resolution screen like 1280*1024 or higher,

    >> Remove anything that says width="something".

    > Where something is a specific size, or where something is a percent or
    > both?

    If you want to be extra sure, both!

    Consider:

    versus:

    This is a trivial example, so it's easy to see what's going wrong in the
    first example, but with more complex layouts it may not be.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby A Inkster, Nov 23, 2003