[script] dis/assembling mbox email

William Park

Crossposted to Python group, because I think this is cleaner
approach. :)

Time to time, I need to
- extract main header/body from a MIME email,
- parse and extract multipart segments, recursively,
- walk through the email tree, and edit/delete/add stuffs
- regenerate new MIME email.

You can edit the file manually, but it's difficult to keep track of
where you are. So, I wrote shell scripts (included below my signature):
1. unmbox.sh -- to extract email components into directory tree
2. mbox.sh -- to generate email from directory tree
So, you can "walk" through MIME email by simply "walking" through
directory tree.

Analogy is 'tar' file. You extract files into directory tree, and you
create tarball from the directory tree. Or, if you are using Slackware,
analogy is 'explodepkg' and 'makepkg'.

Usage are
unmbox.sh dir < email
mbox.sh dir > email

'unmbox.sh' will extract email components into directory tree. Header
and body will be saved respectively as 'header' and 'body' files. If
it's MIME, then each multipart segment will be saved as 'xx[0-9][0-9]'
file, and it will in turn be decomposed recursively. In reverse,
'mbox.sh' recursively walks the directory tree, and assembles email
components into mbox-format.

Strictly speaking, MIME boundary pattern consists of any number of
[A-Za-z0-9 '()+_,./:?-]
not ending in space. And, boundary line in the message body consists of
\n--pattern\n
\n--pattern--\n
where 'pattern' is the boundary pattern assigned from Content-Type:
header.

For the sake of sanity,

1. The script recognizes only
boundary="..."
as MIME boundary parameter, ie. it must be double-quoted and no
spaces around '='.

2. Only lines consisting of '--pattern' or '--pattern--' are recognized
as boundary lines, because Formail puts blank line (if doesn't
already exist) at the top and bottom of email body, undoing '\n'
prefix/suffix anyways.

3. '.' needs to be escaped for Sed and Grep, and '()+.?' needs to be
escaped for Csplit and Egrep.

Use at your risk, and enjoy.
--
William Park, Open Geometry Consulting, <[email protected]>
No, I will not fix your computer! I'll reformat your harddisk, though.

#! /bin/sh
# Usage: unmbox.sh dir < email

[ ! -d $1 ] && mkdir $1

cd $1
cat > input
formail -f -X '' < input > header # no blank lines
formail -I '' < input > body # blank lines at top/bottom

if grep -o "boundary=\"[A-Za-z0-9 '()+_,./:?-]*[A-Za-z0-9'()+_,./:?-]\"" header > boundary; then
. boundary
eboundary=`sed 's/[()+.?]/\\&/g' <<< "$boundary"`
csplit body "/^--$eboundary/" '{*}' # xx00, xx01, ...
for i in xx??; do
if head -1 $i | egrep "^--$eboundary\$" > /dev/null; then
sed '1d' $i | unmbox.sh $i.mbox
fi
done
else
rm boundary
fi

#! /bin/sh
# Usage: mbox.sh dir > email

cd $1
sed '/^$/ d' header # NO blank lines in header

if [ -f boundary ]; then
. boundary
echo
for i in xx??.mbox; do
echo "--$boundary"
mbox.sh $i
done
echo "--$boundary--"
echo
else
[ "`head -1 body`" ] && echo # blank line at top
cat body
[ "`tail -1 body`" ] && echo # blank line at bottom
: # dummy, so that return code is 0
fi

Alan Connor

mbox.sh $i
done
echo "--$boundary--"
echo
else
[ "`head -1 body`" ] && echo # blank line at top
cat body
[ "`tail -1 body`" ] && echo # blank line at bottom
: # dummy, so that return code is 0
fi

Thanks, William. Tucked it away. Could come in REAL handy.

AC

Skip Montanaro

William> Time to time, I need to
William> - extract main header/body from a MIME email,
William> - parse and extract multipart segments, recursively,
William> - walk through the email tree, and edit/delete/add stuffs
William> - regenerate new MIME email.

William> Usage are
William> unmbox.sh dir < email
William> mbox.sh dir > email

You might be interested in the splitndirs.py script which is part of the
Spambayes distribution. There is no joindirs.py script, but it's perhaps a
five-line script using the mboxutils.getmbox function (also part of
Spambayes).

Skip

[fu-t set]

in comp.mail.misc i read:
Crossposted to Python group, because I think this is cleaner
approach. :)

but with not an ounce of python in your solution. and no followup-to.
sad.

William Park

In said:
William> Time to time, I need to
William> - extract main header/body from a MIME email,
William> - parse and extract multipart segments, recursively,
William> - walk through the email tree, and edit/delete/add stuffs
William> - regenerate new MIME email.
William> Usage are
William> unmbox.sh dir < email
William> mbox.sh dir > email
You might be interested in the splitndirs.py script which is part of
the Spambayes distribution. There is no joindirs.py script, but it's
perhaps a five-line script using the mboxutils.getmbox function (also
part of Spambayes).

I think splitndirs.py is Python's version of
formail -s
Of course, the inverse is simply to concatenate the files, and that
would one-liner. :)

William Park

In said:
Strictly speaking, MIME boundary pattern consists of any number of
if grep -o "boundary=\"[ A-Za-z0-9'()+_,./:?-]*[A-Za-z0-9'()+_,./:?-]\"" header > boundary; then

Typo:
Add '=' (equal sign) to the regexp above.