    and there is no record of any error. Could it be the module is now
    unable to communicate with PowerPoint and that causes the hang up ?
    I'm stumped. Thanks in advance for any help.

    TomW, Aug 12, 2009

  2. TomW

    Thrill5 Guest

    "TomW" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I've been using win32::eek:le for some time to automate PowerPoint
    > (Office 2003) on a server. I know it's not recommended but I'm stuck
    > with it. It's been working well for several years but sometime over
    > the last few days it stopped working. I've tracked down the possible
    > problem to this statement:
    >
    > use Win32::OLE::Const 'Microsoft Office 11.0 Object Library';
    >
    > For some unknown reason the above statement now causes the script to
    > hang. It will eventually time out. I'm at a total loss as to why
    > this is happening. The version of office has not changed. I even
    > reinstalled Perl from a clean image and it still hangs. Has anyone
    > ever encountered anything like this ? I have checked the event viewer
    > and there is no record of any error. Could it be the module is now
    > unable to communicate with PowerPoint and that causes the hang up ?
    > I'm stumped. Thanks in advance for any help.

    Have you installed any OS or Office patches on the server lately? The Win32
    modules are wrappers to call Windows DLL subroutines and a patch could have
    disabled some functionality or broken something.

    Thrill5, Aug 14, 2009

  3. TomW

    TomW Guest

    On Aug 14, 5:54 pm, "Thrill5" <> wrote:
    > "TomW" <> wrote in message

    > > I've been using win32::eek:le for some time to automate PowerPoint
    > > (Office 2003) on a server.  I know it's not recommended but I'm stuck
    > > with it.  It's been working well for several years but sometime over
    > > the last few days it stopped working.  I've tracked down the possible
    > > problem to this statement:

    > > use Win32::OLE::Const 'Microsoft Office 11.0 Object Library';

    > > For some unknown reason the above statement now causes the script to
    > > hang.  It will eventually time out.  I'm at a total loss as to why
    > > this is happening.  The version of office has not changed.  I even
    > > reinstalled Perl from a clean image and it still hangs.  Has anyone
    > > ever encountered anything like this ?  I have checked the event viewer
    > > and there is no record of any error.  Could it be the module is now
    > > unable to communicate with PowerPoint and that causes the hang up ?
    > > I'm stumped.  Thanks in advance for any help.

    > Have you installed any OS or Office patches on the server lately?  The Win32
    > modules are wrappers to call Windows DLL subroutines and a patch could have
    > disabled some functionality or broken something.

    I've asked the server team that same question. I know approximately
    when it stopped working but have not yet heard back from them. In the
    meantime I've done some testing and found that given enough time the
    script will eventually run. I have a test script that normally takes
    about 10 seconds to build a simple x-y area graph in PowerPoint.
    Once "use Win32::OLE::Const" is called the script hangs for anywhere
    from 10 to 15 minutes and then completes normally. Does that give you
    any ideas ? I thought the anti-virus was causing the delay but I
    cannot find any record in the av log that would confirm that idea.
    I'll proceed with checking on the office and os patches. Thanks.

    TomW, Aug 15, 2009