script help to update member profiles

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by BG, Oct 1, 2003.

  1. BG

    BG Guest

    First, I apologize if this is not the right group to be asking this
    question, but I am EXTREMELY new to perl and MySql both and am at a loss for
    where to go.

    I run a web site that has a member sign up area. The data from the sign-up
    form is all stored in a MySql Database (First Name, Last Name, Username,
    Password, Email Address, etc). Unfortunately our site does not currently
    include an option for members to be able to change their email address or
    password without Admin intervention. With the site growing rapidly
    completing password/email address change requests is becoming quite tedious.
    To make matters worse, my partner that did all the perl scripts was injured
    in an accident and will not be available for some time.

    Could anyone please offer some assistance in how I can create a form that
    will take the current username/password along with the requested change
    password and/or email and update the appropriate record/table in the MySql
    database.

    I know the basic functions that need to be completed would be:

    1) Compare entered username and password to database to confirm the user is
    authorized to make the change.
    2) If it is a match, update password and/or email field with new data from
    form and return to specified page.
    3) If no match, return user to page with error that username and password
    did not match.

    Problem is while this is probably a simple task to those familiar with perl,
    I am clueless to how to achieve this. While I am trying to learn as time
    permits, this is still way beyond me.

    Any help is appreciated.

    Bryan

    BG, Oct 1, 2003

  2. On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 23:41:52 GMT
    "BG" <> wrote:

    > First, I apologize if this is not the right group to be asking this
    > question, but I am EXTREMELY new to perl and MySql both and am at a
    > loss for where to go.

    perldoc perl at the command line is a good start :)
    If you're using ActiveState Perl on a Windows system, they have all
    the documentation in HTML format -and- a little shortcut on ye old
    "Start" menu.

    <snip>
    > Could anyone please offer some assistance in how I can create a form
    > that will take the current username/password along with the
    > requested change password and/or email and update the appropriate
    > record/table in the MySql database.

    Read the documentation. Start writing some code. If you get stuck,
    post a specific question here.

    One thing I can tell you - you'll also need to read over the DBI
    documentation, as well as the DBD::mysql documentation. These are
    Perl modules and can be found at http://search.cpan.org. You should
    also look over the CGI module documentation - although our local troll
    will try to convince you otherwise. However, if you are concerned
    more about security versus speed, use the CGI module.

    <snip>

    > Problem is while this is probably a simple task to those familiar
    > with perl, I am clueless to how to achieve this. While I am trying
    > to learn as time permits, this is still way beyond me.

    Start with the documentation. Always a safe bet. Tell your boss (if
    this is for work) to relax -or- to cough up some cash to send you to a
    class :) If it's just for you, relax, take your time, read the
    documentation, "Google" this newsgroup, and try writing some code.

    HTH

    --
    Jim

    for more information.

    a fortune quote ...
    A professor is one who talks in someone else's sleep.

    James Willmore, Oct 1, 2003

  3. BG

    BG Guest

    > > First, I apologize if this is not the right group to be asking this
    > > question, but I am EXTREMELY new to perl and MySql both and am at a
    > > loss for where to go.

    > perldoc perl at the command line is a good start :)
    > If you're using ActiveState Perl on a Windows system, they have all
    > the documentation in HTML format -and- a little shortcut on ye old
    > "Start" menu.

    My website is run on a remote server running under Linux. I am in the
    process of putting together a syatem here to load Linux/Perl/MySql etc so
    that I can not only learn perl, but also test my scripts before I FTP them
    to the live site. While I do currently have ActiveState Perl loaded on my
    local WinXP system and I am currently reading through documentation (you
    have so kindly pointed out) in an attempt to learn, it is obviously not
    going to help come time to write and test some code. And I certainly do not
    want to test some of my first code on a live database containing the records
    for 3000+ members.

    > <snip>
    > > Could anyone please offer some assistance in how I can create a form
    > > that will take the current username/password along with the
    > > requested change password and/or email and update the appropriate
    > > record/table in the MySql database.

    > Read the documentation. Start writing some code. If you get stuck,
    > post a specific question here.

    > One thing I can tell you - you'll also need to read over the DBI
    > documentation, as well as the DBD::mysql documentation. These are
    > Perl modules and can be found at http://search.cpan.org. You should
    > also look over the CGI module documentation - although our local troll
    > will try to convince you otherwise. However, if you are concerned
    > more about security versus speed, use the CGI module.
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    > > Problem is while this is probably a simple task to those familiar
    > > with perl, I am clueless to how to achieve this. While I am trying
    > > to learn as time permits, this is still way beyond me.

    > Start with the documentation. Always a safe bet. Tell your boss (if
    > this is for work) to relax -or- to cough up some cash to send you to a
    > class :) If it's just for you, relax, take your time, read the
    > documentation, "Google" this newsgroup, and try writing some code.

    Generally I did the HTML and my partner took care of the Perl. Due to his
    accident (resulting in an unexpected absence from code writing) this left me
    with attempting to complete some of the tasks on my own. I have googled the
    web, the group and am reading documentation but again, this is one item that
    is time critical and because it requires writing data to the database, one I
    would prefer not to use as a learning tool.

    Thanks anyway for your response.

    BG, Oct 2, 2003