Script Load Latency

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by cochrane68, Jul 27, 2006.

  1. cochrane68

    cochrane68 Guest

    I'm developing a web application that will be used at very high latency
    locations (>400ms). I have a lot of javascript files that I use in the
    application, and therefore often have large numbers of <script> tags on
    my pages. Due to the high latency at certain locations using my
    application, it can take a very long time for pages to load because the
    browser checks the server everytime to get the latest version of the
    script.

    With these conditions:

    - I can't tell people to modify their browser settings so it never
    checks for newer versions of the javascript files
    - I would prefer not to combine all the javascript files into one big
    javascript file
    - I don't want to include all the javascript code into every page due
    to its size

    Are there any elegant solutions to this problem that I'm not aware of?
    The application only has to support the Firefox browser.

    cochrane68, Jul 27, 2006

  2. cochrane68

    Paul Guest

    cochrane68,
    Are you using an Expires header?

    Paul, Jul 27, 2006

  3. cochrane68

    cochrane68 Guest

    Paul wrote:
    > cochrane68,
    > Are you using an Expires header?

    We were starting to look into that. Wasn't sure if it influenced just
    the html and/or all the javascript referenced through <script> tags.

    cochrane68, Jul 29, 2006
  4. cochrane68

    Paul Guest

    cochrane68 wrote:
    > Paul wrote:
    > > cochrane68,
    > > Are you using an Expires header?

    > We were starting to look into that. Wasn't sure if it influenced just
    > the html and/or all the javascript referenced through <script> tags.

    It should apply to any resource that the client may want.
    Keep in mind that users can override it through their preferences.

    Paul, Jul 30, 2006