Script Load Latency

cochrane68

I'm developing a web application that will be used at very high latency
locations (>400ms). I have a lot of javascript files that I use in the
application, and therefore often have large numbers of <script> tags on
my pages. Due to the high latency at certain locations using my
application, it can take a very long time for pages to load because the
browser checks the server everytime to get the latest version of the
script.

With these conditions:

- I can't tell people to modify their browser settings so it never
checks for newer versions of the javascript files
- I would prefer not to combine all the javascript files into one big
javascript file
- I don't want to include all the javascript code into every page due
to its size

Are there any elegant solutions to this problem that I'm not aware of?
The application only has to support the Firefox browser.

cochrane68

Paul said:
cochrane68,
Are you using an Expires header?

We were starting to look into that. Wasn't sure if it influenced just
the html and/or all the javascript referenced through <script> tags.

Paul

cochrane68 said:
We were starting to look into that. Wasn't sure if it influenced just
the html and/or all the javascript referenced through <script> tags.
It should apply to any resource that the client may want.
Keep in mind that users can override it through their preferences.