    --
    Roy Schestowitz
    http://schestowitz.com

    Roy Schestowitz, Sep 30, 2004

  2. Roy Schestowitz <>
    wrote:

    > Does anybody know if there is a scripts (essentially an HTML file
    > filter) that will allocate accesskeys to all the links n the input
    > page?

    Well, it would take a few minutes to write such a script. Doing it in a
    useful way would be _much_ more complicated.

    But most importantly: Most accessibility experts these days think that
    accesskeys are usually _hostile_ to accessibility, hostile to people who
    need to use keyboard controls when browsing Web pages. Instead of helping
    anyone, accesskey attributes interfere with the key assignments that
    people are used to. Moreover, even in situations where this can be
    avoided, the assignments are basically hidden from the user, and attempts
    to show or speak them will generally result in a confusion.

    For more info see
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/forms/accesskey.html
    (which I wrote when I was more optimistic, but see the notes near the
    end, describing the problems).

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Sep 30, 2004

  3. Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

    > Roy Schestowitz <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Does anybody know if there is a scripts (essentially an HTML file
    >> filter) that will allocate accesskeys to all the links n the input
    >> page?

    > Well, it would take a few minutes to write such a script. Doing it in a
    > useful way would be _much_ more complicated.
    >
    > But most importantly: Most accessibility experts these days think that
    > accesskeys are usually _hostile_ to accessibility, hostile to people who
    > need to use keyboard controls when browsing Web pages. Instead of helping
    > anyone, accesskey attributes interfere with the key assignments that
    > people are used to. Moreover, even in situations where this can be
    > avoided, the assignments are basically hidden from the user, and attempts
    > to show or speak them will generally result in a confusion.
    >
    > For more info see
    > http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/forms/accesskey.html
    > (which I wrote when I was more optimistic, but see the notes near the
    > end, describing the problems).

    Thanks Jukka.

    I think I browsed that very same page some hours ago. I also will consider
    writing a program that scans all <A> tags and adds an accesskey. It then
    also needs to underline characters, having resolved which choices to make
    for each links.

    ....it's unlikely that I will find time to start this project, but will
    people at least be interested?

    --
    Roy Schestowitz
    http://schestowitz.com