Script to kill defunct and zombie processes

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Srini Vuggumudi, Apr 29, 2004.

  1. Hello Friends,

    While browsing the messages in this new group, I found that a couple
    of people tried and successful in cleaning the defunct and zombie
    process using a PERL or shell script.

    If you have a working script that cleans defuncts and zombies , could
    you please post it? I appreciate your help. I do not have experience
    with SIGNALS in PERL.

    Also, here is my problem:

    I have an apache/mysql/perl/Linux environment running cgis. My
    webserver runs fine for a couple of days. After a month or so, it
    starts running really slow (if someone try to access the URL, the
    response will be slow). When the webserver responses are slow, If I do
    ps -aef, I do see a lot of defunts. Aslo, if I do "top", I do see the
    zombies count as 60 - 70. I believe these defunts and zombies may be
    taking my webserver's resources and making it run slow.

    Any suggesstions?

    If you have a working script that cleans defuncts and zombies , could
    you please post it? I appreciate your help.

    Thank you.

    Sincerely,

    Srini
    Srini Vuggumudi, Apr 29, 2004