script to search a web server directory

Discussion in 'Perl' started by Hostos, Mar 2, 2004.

  1. Hostos

    Hostos Guest

    Hello All,

    Please advice...I would like to do this in php, but I am open
    to suggestions

    I am going to place about 6 gigs of jpeg pictures on a web
    server. And. I want to allow a user to go to a web page and type in
    the name of a file, and if the file is found in the particular
    directory on the server, the jpeg picuture will then be display in the
    web browser.

    I am thinking about just having a php script that will search
    the particular directory, but I am not sure where to get started.
    Also, will this bogg down the server.

    And, in case anyone is wondering...this is being done for a
    department at my university.

    thanks,
    Hostos
    Hostos, Mar 2, 2004

  2. (Hostos) wrote in message news:<>...
    > Hello All,
    >
    > I am going to place about 6 gigs of jpeg pictures on a web
    > server. And. I want to allow a user to go to a web page and type in
    > the name of a file, and if the file is found in the particular
    > directory on the server, the jpeg picuture will then be display in the
    > web browser.

    Perhaps I'm misunderstanding the requirements, but why do you need
    perl or PHP to do this? That's what webservers do already. Type in
    the URL to a file, and the webserver retrieves it.
    Will Stranathan, Mar 2, 2004