script to search a web server directory

Hostos

Hello All,

Please advice...I would like to do this in php, but I am open
to suggestions

I am going to place about 6 gigs of jpeg pictures on a web
server. And. I want to allow a user to go to a web page and type in
the name of a file, and if the file is found in the particular
directory on the server, the jpeg picuture will then be display in the
web browser.

I am thinking about just having a php script that will search
the particular directory, but I am not sure where to get started.
Also, will this bogg down the server.

And, in case anyone is wondering...this is being done for a
department at my university.

thanks,
Hostos

Will Stranathan

Hello All,

I am going to place about 6 gigs of jpeg pictures on a web
server. And. I want to allow a user to go to a web page and type in
the name of a file, and if the file is found in the particular
directory on the server, the jpeg picuture will then be display in the
web browser.
Perhaps I'm misunderstanding the requirements, but why do you need
perl or PHP to do this? That's what webservers do already. Type in
the URL to a file, and the webserver retrieves it.