Script works in Mozilla but not IE6 (latest versions)?

mark

Hi i get an error on this line of my script. It works in mozilla but not IE6

Here is the error message

document[...] is null or not an object

Here is the function - also images for this button rollover are preloaded

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JAVASCRIPT">
<!--

function roll(img_name, img_src)
{
document[img_name].src = img_src;
}

//-->
</SCRIPT>

call function with this

onmouseover="roll('sub_but1', 'http://www.kidsoft.org.uk/buttons/home1a.gif')"
onmouseout="roll('sub_but1', 'http://www.kidsoft.org.uk/buttons/home1.gif')"

Any ideas or subtle pointers

many thanks

Michael Winter

[snip]
<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JAVASCRIPT">

The language attribute has been deprecated for over six years. Use the
(required) type attribute instead:

Hiding scripts like that is also an out-dated practice.
function roll(img_name, img_src)
{
document[img_name].src = img_src;

There is no reason for a named image to be a property of the document
object. Images have their own collection, images, so it's best to use that:

document.images[img_name].src = img_src;

[snip]
onmouseover="roll('sub_but1',
'http://www.kidsoft.org.uk/buttons/home1a.gif')"
onmouseout="roll('sub_but1',
'http://www.kidsoft.org.uk/buttons/home1.gif')"

That's a very cumbersome way to perform rollovers.
Any ideas or subtle pointers

Have a look at <URL:http://www.mlwinter.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/image-swap/>.

Mike