Scriptaculous Draggable Fires Off OnClick Event

vunet

Hello,
I hope this is a right place to ask about Scriptaculous library.
I started using draggable and droppables effects for the first time
and my draggable is simply initialized as

new Draggable(imageObject,{revert:true});

However, my imageObject also has an onClick event which is fired in
Firefox every time I drag the image. It surprisingly does not happen
in IE6. Can anyone recommend a fix or suggest a workaround for this?
Thank you

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

vunet said:
I hope this is a right place to ask about Scriptaculous library.

It isn't. You were looking for one of the resources pointed to by the
"docs & wiki" section of http://script.aculo.us/

That said, Script.aculo.us is based on Prototype.js and so inherently
flawed. You are well advised not to use it.

PointedEars

vunet

--
realism: HTML 4.01 Strict
evangelism: XHTML 1.0 Strict

I am just really curious about what experts think about Prototype
framework. I understand it extends Object methods, thus opening
possibilities to some conflicts with other code or frameworks, and
surely, JS expert would rather create his/her own "Prototype" to use,
but what are the main reasons experts would not recommend using it if
it may in fact simplify and speed up the development process of non-
experts?
Thank you

blechler

I am just really curious about what experts think about Prototype
framework. I understand it extends Object methods, thus opening
possibilities to some conflicts with other code or frameworks, and
surely, JS expert would rather create his/her own "Prototype" to use,
but what are the main reasons experts would not recommend using it if
it may in fact simplify and speed up the development process of non-
experts?
Thank you

There is a Google group called "Ruby On Rails: Spinoffs" where you can
get assistance.

Mr. Lahn is a very vocal opponent of Prototype and Scriptaculous.
IMHO it's fine if it gets the job done for you. The important thing
is to work with tools that are in your comfort zone and allow you to
get the job done in the time allotted to you by your work.

This subject matter often brings about a big flurry of messages as to
why Prototype is worse than Hitler.

blechler

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

vunet said:
[...] what are the main reasons experts would not recommend using
[Prototype.js] [...]?

This has already been discussed numerous times, at great length, not to say
ad nauseam, before. Surely you are able to type "Prototype" into Google's
search box and find the threads by yourself.

PointedEars

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

blechler said:
There is a Google group called "Ruby On Rails: Spinoffs" where you can
get assistance.

Where you can try to get assistance.
Mr. Lahn is a very vocal opponent of Prototype and Scriptaculous.

Yes, I am, and if that accounts for anything, I am by far not the only one.
IMHO it's fine if it gets the job done for you.

I do not think you are in a position to properly assess the code quality (or
rather the lack thereof) of said library.
The important thing is to work with tools that are in your comfort zone
and allow you to get the job done in the time allotted to you by your
work.

No, it is important to get the job done in a good way. A way that does not
eat resources when unecessary, a way that plays nice with other libraries, a
way that does not interfere with general programming patterns, that does not
require you to jump through hoops to get the job done.
This subject matter often brings about a big flurry of messages as to why
Prototype is worse than Hitler.

Godwin's Law. You lose.

PointedEars

vunet

vunet said:
[...] what are the main reasons experts would not recommend using
[Prototype.js] [...]?

This has already been discussed numerous times, at great length, not to say
ad nauseam, before. Surely you are able to type "Prototype" into Google's
search box and find the threads by yourself.

PointedEars
will want to steal it.)

I'll try again. Thanks. Maybe I should type "Prototype" this time.