Scripted Window Restriction?

Guest

Hi there:

I'm a developer, and one of my clients operates a small Web site that with a
simple contact form, written in ASP.NET, that posts back to itself and saves
data to a database. The site actually consists of only one page displaying
product information, with a link to complete the contact form, which pops up
in a Javascript-controlled window.

Up until a couple of weeks ago, the database received a steady stream of
submissions, but lately the traffic has completely dropped off. When I
visited the site this morning to make sure everything was still working
properly, I noticed a couple of things:

- The popup's title bar now contained a URL (which I see in this popup, as I
type, as well), and

- The form no longer submitted, despite that all ASP.NET validation tests
had successfully passed. That is, whereas the form had been submitting
properly for months on end, suddently, on clicking Submit, nothing happened
anymore.

Note that the window does open successfully (using a simple window.open()
function), and the loaded page's embedded Javascript properly centers the
popup window on the page. It's only when the user clicks Submit (which
triggers no other Javascript event, other than the standard ASP.NET control
validation -- which, again, passes) that the trouble starts.

Further testing revealed the following:

- Problem is not repeatable on machines *not* running XP Service Pack 2
- Problem is not repeatable using Mozilla on machiens running Service Pack 2

I'm thinking this probably has something to do with XP Service Pack 2's
"Scripted Window Restrictions," but I can't seem to find information on
exactly what kinds of scripting isn't allowed, and whether I'm doing
something no longer allowed. What could be happening here? What would cause
a validated ASP.NET form in a Japascript popup window to simply stop
submitting?

Thanks in advance,
Chris