scripting language (fwd)

Alexey Verkhovsky

what do you mean by 'lagged two versions' ?
The latest versione should be nearly 1.8 compliant, IIRC

OK, what about below shell session (I use CVS HEAD Ruby at home, but
iirc it was same with 1.8.1)?

[alex@dhcp-89-2 rake]$ alias jruby
alias jruby='$HOME/RUBY/jruby/bin/jruby.sh
-I/usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.9'
[alex@dhcp-89-2 rake]$ jruby /usr/local/bin/rake
/usr/local/bin/rake:3:in 'require': Undefined local variable or method
'clean' for main:Object (NoMethodError)
from /usr/local/bin/rake:3:in 'require'
from /usr/local/bin/rake:3
from :0
[alex@dhcp-89-2 rake]$ ruby /usr/local/bin/rake
(in /home/alex/RUBY/eclipse/workspace/rake)
mkdir -p testdata
ruby -Ilib -e0 \
-rtest/testclean \
-rtest/testfilelist \
-rtest/testfileutils \
-rtest/testftp \
-rtest/testpackagetask \
-rtest/testtasks
Loaded suite -e
Started
Finished in 4.012639 seconds.

One other thing that I didn't like about Jruby 0.7 was startup time:

[alex@dhcp-89-2 rake]$ time ruby -e 'puts "worked"'
worked

real 0m0.107s
user 0m0.000s
sys 0m0.010s
[alex@dhcp-89-2 rake]$ time jruby -e 'puts "worked"'
worked

real 0m3.692s
user 0m2.310s
sys 0m0.130s

Before you blame it on JVM:

[alex@dhcp-89-2 java-wrapper]$ time java -cp . ArgsRepeater "worked"
worked

real 0m0.980s
user 0m0.430s
sys 0m0.020s

This is on P-III 700 Mhz. Jython, if I remember correctly, was 1.4 sec
or something like that. Groovy was over 6 seconds. For unit tests
anything bigger than 2 sec feels awkward.

Best regards,
Alex

gabriele renzi

il Sun, 18 Jul 2004 00:20:44 +0900, Alexey Verkhovsky <[email protected]>
ha scritto::

OK, what about below shell session (I use CVS HEAD Ruby at home, but
iirc it was same with 1.8.1)?

doh! Maybe this is the part not included in "nearly 1.8" :)
Actually I don't understand what is happening, maybe it is
method_missing not working?
Did you tried reporting this to the jruby authors?

Anyway, I just asked you what 'two versions' meant, cause I had the
impression you were thinking 1.7 was a stable ruby release (so, 1.8 -
1.6 = 2) where it was just a development branch.

Alexey Verkhovsky

doh! Maybe this is the part not included in "nearly 1.8" :)
All abstractions leak, of course. When you code for money, it's all
about productivity gained and lost. But dealing with a visibly leaking
programming language when you have contracts, deadlines, etc was a very
painful experience in past, so I try to avoid it.

Having said that, I have tremendous respect for the people who are
building Jruby. It's just that they have an unfinished product that has
to meet very high expectations.
I had the impression you were thinking 1.7 was a stable ruby release
Yes, my mistake.

Brgds,
Alex

tony summerfelt

I suppose if they're on
Windows instead of Linux, OS X or a BSD then they might not have a C
compiler handy. *shrug*
I guess it's common for Windows packages to be distributed as compiled
if they don't want to bother with installing a compiler.

it's not so much not wanting to bother it's 'which compiler to
install'

how many ruby modules have vc++ source, how many use cygwin,
mingw32 (standalone), lcc, pelles, etc.

i'd say the 'standard' for c code under windows is vc++, but that
costs money, and if the source code doesn't include the appropriate
makefile (or project file).

when it comes to ruby, if the module doesn't include vc++
source/makefile, or a windows binary, i have to let it go, no matter
how much i want to use it.

James Britt

tony said:
i'd say the 'standard' for c code under windows is vc++, but that
costs money, ...

I believe the Microsoft .Net SDK is freely available and includes a vc++
compiler. You can also get (it seems) just the VC++ tools

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=272be09d-40bb-49fd-9cb0-4bfa122fa91b

If that URL is too munged, try here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/

then search for 'compiler'

You may have to root around to see what's the latest and greatest there.

James

tony summerfelt

I believe the Microsoft .Net SDK is freely available and includes a vc++
compiler. You can also get (it seems) just the VC++ tools

i snagged that a while back...haven't installed though

isn't that vc++.net? and has anybody successfully compiled ruby and/or
modules with it?

i think there was a free 'dmake' floating around that was the
equivalent of vc++'s nmake.

i had a need for vc++ v6.0 pro so i've had that installed for ages.
it's what i use to compile ruby snapshots and vim/patches.

Lennon Day-Reynolds

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 06:06:38 +0900, tony summerfelt
when it comes to ruby, if the module doesn't include vc++
source/makefile, or a windows binary, i have to let it go, no matter
how much i want to use it.

Modules that use the 'mkmf' library to generate their own makefiles
should support whatever compiler was used to build your installation
of Ruby. If the author hasn't used 'mkmf', or has specifically blocked
builds on Windows, there may be a good reason (i.e., compatibility
problems beyond compilers).

Lennon

Grzegorz Chrupala

Alexey Verkhovsky said:
About a month ago I have evaluated all three JVM scripting languages
mentioned so far (Jruby, Groovy, Jython) to use for unit testing of our
production Java code.

Another option would be SISC, a scheme interpeter for the JVM,
(http://sisc.sourceforge.net/). AFAIK it is pretty mature.