Scripting Media Types

Michael Winter

On 16/11/2005 16:13, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:

[snip]

Using wildcards for simplicity.

Opera 6.06, 7.03, 7.11 */*
Opera 7.23 text/javascript
Opera 7.54, 8.01, 8.50 text/*

The results above are the most interesting. However, for completeness
I'll included other browsers currently installed here. No surprises.

Mozilla 1.[3-7] text/javascript
Firefox 1.0.7 text/javascript

Netscape 4.08, 4.77 text/javascript

IE 4.01, 5.01, 5.5, 6 SP2 text/*

All results from Windows XP. I'll post the User Agent strings if you want.

Mike

Michael Winter

Michael Winter wrote:
[snip]
I'll post the User Agent strings if you want.

I should have done it in the first place. I guessed that you'd want
them. Oh well... :)
[...] (Be sure it is not forged by a desktop firewall and the like.)

Not an issue, and I don't forge unless absolutely necessary.

I know you could just read the UA string, but I'll name the browser
anyway. The strings will be (manually) wrapped, of course.

Firefox 1.0.7:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:1.7.12)
Gecko/20050919 Firefox/1.0.7

Internet Explorer
4.01:
Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows NT 5.0; DigExt; SV1)
5.01:
Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.01; Windows NT 5.0; DigExt; SV1;
.NET CLR 1.0.3705; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)
5.5:
Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.5; Windows NT 5.1; DigExt; SV1;
.NET CLR 1.0.3705; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)
6.0:
Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; DigExt; SV1;
.NET CLR 1.0.3705; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)

On the return visit with IE4, it crashed. I had to use a bookmarklet to
obtain the UA string.

Mozilla
1.3:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.3)
Gecko/20030312
1.4:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.4)
Gecko/20030624
1.5:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.5)
Gecko/20031007
1.6:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.6)
Gecko/20040113
1.7:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7)
Gecko/20040616

Netscape
4.08:
Mozilla/4.08 [en] (WinNT; U ;Nav)
4.77:
Mozilla/4.77 [en] (Windows NT 5.0; U)

Opera
6.06:
Opera/6.06 (Windows XP; U) [en]
7.03:
Opera/7.03 (Windows NT 5.1; U) [en]
7.11:
Opera/7.11 (Windows NT 5.1; U) [en]
7.23:
Opera/7.23 (Windows NT 5.1; U) [en-GB]
7.54:
Opera/7.54u1 (Windows NT 5.1; U) [en]
8.01:
Opera/8.01 (Windows NT 5.1; U; en)
8.50:
Opera/8.50 (Windows NT 5.1; U; en)

Enjoy. :D

Mike

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Michael said:
I should have done it in the first place. I guessed that you'd want
them. Oh well... :)
[...] (Be sure it is not forged by a desktop firewall and the like.)

Not an issue,

Sure? Forging the UA header in Opera also means a change of DOM support,
maybe it could also change script support. That's one reason why I need
the genuine UA strings and fortunately, you have provided them :)
and I don't forge unless absolutely necessary.

ACK, but others might and I wanted to prevent unreliable results.
I know you could just read the UA string, but I'll name the browser
anyway. The strings will be (manually) wrapped, of course.
[...]

Much appreciated, thanks again :)

To all:

If you have the time and are willing, I would like to know if DOCTYPE
switching has any effect on script support in your UAs. Use the Link,
Luke ;-)

I'd also like results from Mac and other platforms, including mobile
devices (provided they support client-side scripting at all) and from
some "exotic" browsers (IceBrowser & Co.). Anyone?

TIA

PointedEars

Lasse Reichstein Nielsen

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn said:
Forging the UA header in Opera also means a change of DOM support,
maybe it could also change script support.

That was true for Opera 6. It disabled some proprietary IE features
unless identifying as IE (mainly document.all, because it was used
to (attempt to) detect IE).
In Opera 7 and later, the only difference is between quirks mode
and standards mode, and I'm not sure it changes anything in the
DOM - just the interpretation of it.

/L

John W. Kennedy

All on Windows/XP SP2:

Firefox 1.5 RC3
*/* +
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8) Gecko/20051111
Firefox/1.5

Opera 8.5
text/* +
application/* blank (neither + nor -)
Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; en) Opera 8.50

IE 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_grf.050301-1519
text/* +
application/* blank (neither + nor -)
Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; .NET CLR
1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727)

--
John W. Kennedy
"But now is a new thing which is very old--