Scripting on windows 2000

Ryan Smith

Hello All,

I am new to the list and python community as well. I was wondering if anyone
knows of any good python books emphasizing Windows 2000? I am a network
engineer in an Active Directory environment and I have found serveral uses
for python, and I need to find a book that emphasizes features of python 2.2
and programming in this type of environment. I apologize for the rather
basic question, but I wasn't sure exactly were to ask.

Ryan Smith
Network Engineer/Security Analyst

Peter Hansen

Ryan said:
I am new to the list and python community as well. I was wondering if anyone
knows of any good python books emphasizing Windows 2000? I am a network
engineer in an Active Directory environment and I have found serveral uses
for python, and I need to find a book that emphasizes features of python 2.2
and programming in this type of environment. I apologize for the rather
basic question, but I wasn't sure exactly were to ask.

Mark Hammond and Andy Robinson's book "Python Programming on Win32" is
what you need if you don't have it, although it's not specifically about
Python on Windows 2000 (there isn't any book that is yet).

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...f=sr_1_1/102-3496965-5167352?v=glance&s=books

-Peter

Alex Martelli

Ryan said:
Hello All,

I am new to the list and python community as well. I was wondering if
anyone
knows of any good python books emphasizing Windows 2000? I am a network
engineer in an Active Directory environment and I have found serveral uses
for python, and I need to find a book that emphasizes features of python
2.2
and programming in this type of environment. I apologize for the rather
basic question, but I wasn't sure exactly were to ask.

Unfortunately, the only book I know that does "emphasize" Windows and
Python is Hammond and Robinson's one, published by O'Reilly -- and that
is firmly based on Python 1.5.2. The books I know that are based on 2.2,
such as "Python in a Nutshell" and "Practical Python", appear to be firmly
oriented to cross-platform rather than platform-specific issues. And of
course, it's unlikely by now that any new book choosing to focus on Windows
would emphasize Windows/2000 (or any new book on Python, 2.2), since
WIndows/XP has been out for quite a while, and so has Python 2.3 (for a
lesser while in the latter's case, but its strong compatibility and
performance enhancements wrt 2.2 help make it widespread).

Alex

John J. Lee

Ryan Smith said:
I am new to the list and python community as well. I was wondering if anyone
knows of any good python books emphasizing Windows 2000? I am a network
engineer in an Active Directory environment and I have found serveral uses
for python, and I need to find a book that emphasizes features of python 2.2
and programming in this type of environment. I apologize for the rather
basic question, but I wasn't sure exactly were to ask.

Other than the stuff Alex mentioned, the Python Cookbook (edited by
Alex himself, and David Ascher) contains some Windows recipes. But
it's well worth having in itself (and is certainly complementary to
the online Python Cookbook from whence it came).

One thing that Hammond and Robinson doesn't cover, and that you might
eventually need, is ctypes. Always make sure that win32all doesn't
cover what you need first, though.

http://starship.python.net/crew/theller/ctypes/

win32all is available separately or bundled with Python in
ActiveState's distribution:

http://starship.python.net/crew/mhammond/
http://www.activestate.com/Products/ActivePython/

Samples from Hammond & Robinson: