ScriptTimeout Error

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Sam Kong, Nov 19, 2003.

  1. Sam Kong

    Sam Kong Guest

    Hello!

    I made an ASP page which converts big data from a CSV file to SQL Server.
    It takes so long like an hour.
    So in the page I wrote the following line.

    Server.ScriptTimeout = 100000

    But the pages gives an timeout error after about 40 minutes.

    When I tested it with empty infinite loop, it went over 1 hour.

    I can't find anything else that I can do about it at this point.

    What can I do?

    TIA.

    Sam

    Sam Kong, Nov 19, 2003

  2. Sam Kong

    Bob Barrows Guest

    Sam Kong wrote:
    > Hello!
    >
    > I made an ASP page which converts big data from a CSV file to SQL
    > Server. It takes so long like an hour.
    > So in the page I wrote the following line.
    >
    > Server.ScriptTimeout = 100000
    >
    > But the pages gives an timeout error after about 40 minutes.
    >
    > When I tested it with empty infinite loop, it went over 1 hour.
    >
    > I can't find anything else that I can do about it at this point.
    >
    > What can I do?

    Stop using ASP for this task. SQL Server has Data Transformation Services
    which is designed for this sort of task. See www.sqldts.com for some
    pointers. There is also a dts newsgroup: m.p.sqlserver.dts where you can
    find some help. The beauty of DTS is that it can be scheduled to run
    periodically.

    HTH,
    Bob Barrows

    --