    Is this possible to be done and if yes, then how?

    Thanks in advance everybody

    Apo
    apostolos, Oct 15, 2004

  2. apostolos

    brucie Guest

    In alt.html apostolos said:

    > Hi all,

    kissy

    > Let us suppose that I am interested to get all the html code which is
    > around a point (x,y) in my broswer.

    i don't understand the question. what is "html code ..around a point"?

    do you mean you want the coords of a point inside the window?

    perhaps it would be better for you to describe what you want to achieve
    and we can advise on the best way to achieve it.

    please adjust your word wrap to around 75chars

    --

    v o i c e s
    brucie, Oct 15, 2004

  3. apostolos

    Neal Guest

    On 15 Oct 2004 09:38:58 GMT, apostolos <>
    wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > Let us suppose that I am interested to get all the html code which is
    > around a point (x,y) in my broswer.
    > Is this possible to be done and if yes, then how?

    Very cryptic question.

    My gut instinct is a "no", but I, and likely anyone, can't say without
    more info.
    Neal, Oct 15, 2004
  4. apostolos

    brucie Guest

    In alt.html Neal said:

    > My gut instinct is a "no",

    i get more of a feeling for "no, especially without a good potting mix"

    --

    v o i c e s
    brucie, Oct 15, 2004
  5. apostolos

    apostolos Guest

    brucie <> wrote in

    > In alt.html Neal said:
    >
    >> My gut instinct is a "no",

    > i get more of a feeling for "no, especially without a good potting
    > mix"

    Ok, i am sorry for the really confusing way of describing what I want.

    Let us say that you go into a portal and there are four sections
    top-left, top-right, bottom-left and bottom-right. If i know the
    coordinates of the bootom-right section. lets say (x,y) can I gat the
    text, images and links that are around the point (x,y). Imagine that you
    are looking at your browser and you see something that is really
    interesting to you (an image). I want to get all the objects (text,
    links and images) around this point.

    I hope that this time it is better:)

    Apo
    apostolos, Oct 15, 2004
  6. apostolos

    rf Guest

    apostolos

    > Ok, i am sorry for the really confusing way of describing what I want.
    >
    > Let us say that you go into a portal and there are four sections
    > top-left, top-right, bottom-left and bottom-right. If i know the
    > coordinates of the bootom-right section. lets say (x,y) can I gat the
    > text, images and links that are around the point (x,y). Imagine that you
    > are looking at your browser and you see something that is really
    > interesting to you (an image). I want to get all the objects (text,
    > links and images) around this point.

    Ah. You want to steal bits of other peoples pages?

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.
    rf, Oct 15, 2004
  7. apostolos

    apostolos Guest

    "rf" <rf@.invalid> wrote in

    > apostolos
    >
    >> Ok, i am sorry for the really confusing way of describing what I
    >> want.
    >>
    >> Let us say that you go into a portal and there are four sections
    >> top-left, top-right, bottom-left and bottom-right. If i know the
    >> coordinates of the bootom-right section. lets say (x,y) can I gat the
    >> text, images and links that are around the point (x,y). Imagine that
    >> you are looking at your browser and you see something that is really
    >> interesting to you (an image). I want to get all the objects (text,
    >> links and images) around this point.

    > Ah. You want to steal bits of other peoples pages?

    Nope:)

    i want to make an agent that learns the user preferences by watching his
    eyes. If you focus a long time on the sport section of a portal (even
    without clicking any link) it means that you are reading something
    there. But I dont know how to connect the coordinates that I get from
    the eye tracker with the actual page as it is being displayed by the
    browser.
    apostolos, Oct 15, 2004
  8. apostolos

    brucie Guest

    In alt.html apostolos said:

    > Let us say that you go into a portal and there are four sections
    > top-left, top-right, bottom-left and bottom-right. If i know the
    > coordinates of the bootom-right section. lets say (x,y) can I gat the
    > text, images and links that are around the point (x,y).

    copy+paste or alt+prt scr

    > Imagine that you are looking at your browser and you see something
    > that is really interesting to you (an image). I want to get all the
    > objects (text, links and images) around this point.

    design your own browser that allows you to select an area and extract
    the content.

    and if you're using a premium organic potting mix ensure you wet the
    potting mix before use to help prevent breathing in the little microbes.

    --

    v o i c e s
    brucie, Oct 15, 2004
  9. apostolos

    brucie Guest

    In alt.html apostolos said:

    > i want to make an agent that learns the user preferences by watching his
    > eyes.

    why didn't you just say that in the first fucking place. talk to the
    people who have already done it so you don't waste your time reinventing
    the wheel.

    http://www.poynterextra.org/et/i.htm

    --

    v o i c e s
    brucie, Oct 15, 2004
  10. apostolos wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > Let us suppose that I am interested to get all the html code which is
    > around a point (x,y) in my broswer. Is this possible to be done and if
    > yes, then how?

    Do you mean, highlight the area of the page you are interested in then
    right-click>View selection source ?

    --
    frostie
    http://brightonfixedodds.net
    Robert Frost-Bridges, Oct 15, 2004
  11. In article <cxQbd.26751$>,
    "rf" <rf@.invalid> wrote:

    > apostolos
    > > >

    > > If i know the coordinates of the bootom-right section. lets say (x,y) can I gat the
    > > text, images and links that are around the point (x,y). Imagine that you
    > > are looking at your browser and you see something that is really
    > > interesting to you (an image). I want to get all the objects (text,
    > > links and images) around this point.

    > Ah. You want to steal bits of other peoples pages?

    Please. I can think of at least two legitimate uses for this kind of
    functionality.

    One I saw as part of a smart personal spider: you could go to a site
    (say, like Amazon, where the product detail pages all have a similar
    structure and layout), select a representative sample of text, coax it
    into a semantically rich XML structure, and then set the spider loose to
    pull down and intelligently index similarly structured pages on the rest
    of the site. You wouldn't say that Googlebot steals, so why would this
    be any different?

    Another is simply dealing with the fact that while more useful and
    important information is being placed on the Web, the content providers
    are still doing a horrible job of making sure that content doesn't move
    or outright disappear. I've seen a number of articles in recent months,
    about the difficulty in using web content as a reference (e.g., in a
    footnote for a scholarly article) due to this very problem. Just as it's
    fair use for a researcher to photocopy pages out of book for later
    reference, it seems reasonable -- and frankly more of a necessity -- for
    a researcher on the web to be able to snip and save parts of pages to
    refer to later. After all, the odds are good that a month or two later,
    the original page will be gone.

    Oh, and then there's the OP's stated goal, which sounds like perfectly
    legal use to me as well.

    Have a nice day; it's sound like you need the encouragement.

    --
    Joel.

    http://www.cv6.org/
    "May she also say with just pride:
    I have done the State some service."
    Joel Shepherd, Oct 15, 2004
  12. apostolos

    Kris Guest

    In article <>,
    apostolos <> wrote:

    > Let us say that you go into a portal and there are four sections
    > top-left, top-right, bottom-left and bottom-right. If i know the
    > coordinates of the bootom-right section. lets say (x,y) can I gat the
    > text, images and links that are around the point (x,y). Imagine that you
    > are looking at your browser and you see something that is really
    > interesting to you (an image). I want to get all the objects (text,
    > links and images) around this point.

    Use Mozilla and it's DOM Inspector (under the Tools menu, I believe). It
    does not let you select a section on the page but as you go trough the
    Object tree of the page, Mozilla highlights the selected object with a
    brightly colored border. Once you find the right object, try and
    retrieve it's content from there.

    Be noted that HTML itself has little to nothing to do with the way it is
    rendered in the window. Do not expect that the appearance of a
    particular object is contained within that object (more and more often
    the appearance of things is separated in a (CSS) style sheet), or that
    even all content that appears to be inside that object really is inside
    it. Or even worse for you, that there is not even an object (say, a
    background picture of a box).

    --
    Kris
    <> (nl)
    Kris, Oct 16, 2004
  13. apostolos

    Kris Guest

    In article <fhq34hf0189h$>,
    brucie <> wrote:

    > > i want to make an agent that learns the user preferences by watching his
    > > eyes.

    > why didn't you just say that in the first fucking place. talk to the
    > people who have already done it so you don't waste your time reinventing
    > the wheel.
    >
    > http://www.poynterextra.org/et/i.htm

    He surely wasted my time. Or maybe next time I should read entire
    threads before replying to anything.

    --
    Kris
    <> (nl)