    As usual any help greatly appreciated.

    Thanks
    Dave

    David Crichton, Aug 31, 2003

  2. David Crichton wrote:

    > In my quest to find an alternative to a second scrollbar (I'm using
    > invisible frames).

    Alternative - don't use frames.

    http://lists.evolt.org/archive/Week-of-Mon-20030324/138052.html

    --
    David Dorward http://dorward.me.uk/

    David Dorward, Aug 31, 2003

  3. I have to use the frames because there are so many menu's and buttons etc
    that it is too difficult to align everything. Plus the thumbnails scroll
    down for over 10 images, I want the left portion to remain at the top of the
    screen.

    Cheers
    Dave

    David Crichton, Aug 31, 2003
  4. David Crichton

    DU Guest

    David Crichton wrote:

    > I have to use the frames

    You do not have to use frames

    because there are so many menu's and buttons etc
    > that it is too difficult to align everything.

    Aligning is one issue related to rendering. Frames is a webpage design
    decision involving huge implications which should have no impact, no
    relationship whatsoever with aligning elements.

    Plus the thumbnails scroll
    > down for over 10 images, I want the left portion to remain at the top of the
    > screen.

    Maybe the real issue, the real problem is having too many menus, buttons
    and images? Often people are trying to achieve acrobatics, forcing and
    over-excessively controlling every aspects of rendering when their page
    requirements and goals should be more modest, accessible and reasonable.

    > Cheers
    > Dave
    >
    > "David Dorward" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>David Crichton wrote:
    >>

    >>>In my quest to find an alternative to a second scrollbar (I'm using
    >>>invisible frames).

    I've always been able to see "invisible" frames thanks to
    user_pref("layout.frames.force_resizability", true);
    in my user.js file.
    Any NS 7.x and Mozilla user can.

    >>Alternative - don't use frames.
    >>

    >>>Therefore is it possible to place two simple buttons next to the image

    > on
    >
    >>>the page one with an up arrow and one with a down arrow? Simply so that
    >>>when you press the down one it scrolls down etc.

    You're looking for an alternative to a second scrollbar and you end up
    trying to create a non-UI scrollbar yourself. Isn't that contradictory?
    Such non-UI scrollbar will only work if javascript support is enabled
    while native UI scrollbar will always work whatever the support of
    javascript is.

    >>http://lists.evolt.org/archive/Week-of-Mon-20030324/138052.html
    >>
    >>--
    >>David Dorward http://dorward.me.uk/

    Please stop top-posting. Top-posting destroy chronological order (and
    normal reading order) of posts, replies in threads.

    DU
    --
    Javascript and Browser bugs:

    DU, Aug 31, 2003
  5. "David Crichton" <> wrote in
    > Hi,
    >
    > In my quest to find an alternative to a second scrollbar (I'm using
    > invisible frames). I have had a thought. The only way to scroll through my
    > left page at the moment is to drag the mouse down (an action I can hardly
    > ask users to perform).
    >
    > Therefore is it possible to place two simple buttons next to the image on
    > the page one with an up arrow and one with a down arrow? Simply so that

    when
    > you press the down one it scrolls down etc.
    >
    > I am sure I have seen this done somewhere -
    >
    > As usual any help greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Dave

    If I understood correctly, you are trying to create two buttons that scroll
    the page
    up and down.

    Use the javascript 'scrollBy' function:

    There are two ways:

    a)
    Add these buttons to the page:

    <button onClick="window.scrollBy(0,-10);">up</button>
    <button onClick="window.scrollBy(0,10);">down</button>

    Now the buttons scroll with the page.

    b)
    This is the better way.
    Create a new frame. That is the "scrollbar" frame.
    Add these buttons to the frame:

    <button onClick="parent.framename.window.scrollBy(0,-10);">up</button>
    <button onClick="parent.framename.window.scrollBy(0,10);">down</button>

    Replace 'framename' with the name of the frame that you want
    to be scrolled.

    I hope that helped...

    --
    Janne