ScrollBar Buttons? - Any such thing?

David Crichton

Hi,

In my quest to find an alternative to a second scrollbar (I'm using
invisible frames). I have had a thought. The only way to scroll through my
left page at the moment is to drag the mouse down (an action I can hardly
ask users to perform).

Therefore is it possible to place two simple buttons next to the image on
the page one with an up arrow and one with a down arrow? Simply so that when
you press the down one it scrolls down etc.

I am sure I have seen this done somewhere -

As usual any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Dave

David Crichton

I have to use the frames because there are so many menu's and buttons etc
that it is too difficult to align everything. Plus the thumbnails scroll
down for over 10 images, I want the left portion to remain at the top of the
screen.

Cheers
Dave

DU

David said:
I have to use the frames

You do not have to use frames

because there are so many menu's and buttons etc
that it is too difficult to align everything.

Aligning is one issue related to rendering. Frames is a webpage design
decision involving huge implications which should have no impact, no
relationship whatsoever with aligning elements.

Plus the thumbnails scroll
down for over 10 images, I want the left portion to remain at the top of the
screen.

Maybe the real issue, the real problem is having too many menus, buttons
and images? Often people are trying to achieve acrobatics, forcing and
over-excessively controlling every aspects of rendering when their page
requirements and goals should be more modest, accessible and reasonable.
Cheers
Dave

I've always been able to see "invisible" frames thanks to
user_pref("layout.frames.force_resizability", true);
in my user.js file.
Any NS 7.x and Mozilla user can.

You're looking for an alternative to a second scrollbar and you end up
trying to create a non-UI scrollbar yourself. Isn't that contradictory?
Such non-UI scrollbar will only work if javascript support is enabled
while native UI scrollbar will always work whatever the support of
javascript is.

Please stop top-posting. Top-posting destroy chronological order (and
normal reading order) of posts, replies in threads.

DU
--
Javascript and Browser bugs:

Janne Raiskila

David Crichton said:
Hi,

In my quest to find an alternative to a second scrollbar (I'm using
invisible frames). I have had a thought. The only way to scroll through my
left page at the moment is to drag the mouse down (an action I can hardly
ask users to perform).

Therefore is it possible to place two simple buttons next to the image on
the page one with an up arrow and one with a down arrow? Simply so that when
you press the down one it scrolls down etc.

I am sure I have seen this done somewhere -

As usual any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Dave

If I understood correctly, you are trying to create two buttons that scroll
the page
up and down.

Use the javascript 'scrollBy' function:

There are two ways:

a)
Add these buttons to the page:

<button onClick="window.scrollBy(0,-10);">up</button>
<button onClick="window.scrollBy(0,10);">down</button>

Now the buttons scroll with the page.

b)
This is the better way.
Create a new frame. That is the "scrollbar" frame.
Add these buttons to the frame:

<button onClick="parent.framename.window.scrollBy(0,-10);">up</button>
<button onClick="parent.framename.window.scrollBy(0,10);">down</button>

Replace 'framename' with the name of the frame that you want
to be scrolled.

I hope that helped...