    Just wondering if there was a way to place the scollbar on the left side
    rather than the default right side.
    Such as when using overflow: auto.
    richard, Oct 19, 2006

  2. richard

    Dylan Parry Guest

    richard wrote:
    > Just wondering if there was a way to place the scollbar on the left side
    > rather than the default right side.

    No, and your users would not expect to find it there either.

    --
    Dylan Parry

    Programming, n: A pastime similar to banging one's head
    against a wall, but with fewer opportunities for reward.
    Dylan Parry, Oct 19, 2006

  3. richard

    Guest

    Dylan Parry wrote:
    > richard wrote:
    > > Just wondering if there was a way to place the scollbar on the left side
    > > rather than the default right side.

    > No, and your users would not expect to find it there either.

    But just to show that there are cases for it:

    Left-handed users on a touchscreen PDA would love to have the option of
    a left hand scrollbar. There's nothing worse than having to cover the
    screen with your hand when trying to scroll with your left fingertip.

    (Which is also the reason good touchscreen web apps put the menu at the
    bottom of the screen... so your hand doesn't cover everything while
    making a choice.)

    Cheers, Kev
    , Oct 19, 2006
  4. richard

    Dylan Parry Guest

    wrote:

    > Left-handed users on a touchscreen PDA would love to have the option of
    > a left hand scrollbar. There's nothing worse than having to cover the
    > screen with your hand when trying to scroll with your left fingertip.

    Then browsers on touchscreen PDAs should put the scrollbar on the left.
    It's not the job of the webdesigner to change the interface of the
    browsing software that the visitor chooses to use.

    Dylan Parry, Oct 19, 2006
  5. wrote:

    > Dylan Parry wrote:
    >> richard wrote:
    >> > Just wondering if there was a way to place the scollbar on the left
    >> > side rather than the default right side.

    >> No, and your users would not expect to find it there either.

    > But just to show that there are cases for it:
    >
    > Left-handed users on a touchscreen PDA would love to have the option of
    > a left hand scrollbar. There's nothing worse than having to cover the
    > screen with your hand when trying to scroll with your left fingertip.
    >
    > (Which is also the reason good touchscreen web apps put the menu at the
    > bottom of the screen... so your hand doesn't cover everything while
    > making a choice.)

    But this should be an option for the user - and a good one, as you showed.
    How should a document author know, if users are left- or right-handed?

    --
    Benjamin Niemann
    Email: pink at odahoda dot de
    Benjamin Niemann, Oct 19, 2006
  6. Benjamin Niemann wrote:

    > How should a document author know, if users are left- or right-handed?

    JavaScript, innit?

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Oct 19, 2006
  7. Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    > Benjamin Niemann wrote:
    >
    >> How should a document author know, if users are left- or right-handed?

    > JavaScript, innit?

    Nope, UserScript(TM) which will be part of IE8. Amongst other advanced
    features, UserScript allows querying and manipulation of the UOM (User
    Object Model), e.g. user.handedness or user.buyNow().

    --
    Benjamin Niemann
    Email: pink at odahoda dot de
    Benjamin Niemann, Oct 19, 2006
  8. richard

    richard Guest

    "richard" <> wrote in message
    > Just wondering if there was a way to place the scollbar on the left side
    > rather than the default right side.
    > Such as when using overflow: auto.

    I was just being curious. It seems then that the scroll bar is fixed by the
    browser.
    Due to the mass of information my site is going to present, I just got to
    thinking that in one section I might have two scrollbars in play. The second
    one going to the left. But I'll see how things work out once I get it all
    together.
    richard, Oct 19, 2006
  9. richard

    Guest

    Benjamin Niemann wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > Left-handed users on a touchscreen PDA would love to have the option of
    > > a left hand scrollbar. There's nothing worse than having to cover the
    > > screen with your hand when trying to scroll with your left fingertip.

    > But this should be an option for the user - and a good one, as you showed.
    > How should a document author know, if users are left- or right-handed?

    It's true that it'd be best done as a browser preference. But lacking
    that support, then from a website (or in our case, intranet web apps)
    point of view, cookies with the user's favorite handedness, color
    schemes (for color blind users or B&W pdas), shortcuts, etc, would work
    just fine. Actually in our case, we could save some of that info in
    each user's profile that we have in a database at login time.

    Regards, Kev
    Verizon Mobile Dev
    , Oct 19, 2006
  10. richard

    BootNic Guest

    > richard <> wrote:
    > Just wondering if there was a way to place the scollbar on the left
    > side rather than the default right side.
    > Such as when using overflow: auto.

    For a few browsers could be.

    <head>
    "text/html; charset=windows-1252">
    <title></title>
    ..t {
    color:#000;
    background-color:inherit;
    direction:rtl;
    width:30em;
    height: 5em;
    overflow: auto;
    border: 0.1em solid #080;
    float:left;
    }
    ..t * {
    direction: ltr;
    margin: 0.3em;
    }
    ..t p:first-letter {
    color: #080;
    background-color:inherit;
    font-size: 2em;
    font-family: Elephant;
    }
    ..t p {
    color: #468;
    background-color:inherit;
    text-indent: 1.5em;
    }
    </head>
    Integer aliquet orci sed urna. Maecenas at lorem id sem ultrices
    pharetra. Morbi sed nisi a eros nonummy mollis. Pellentesque
    molestie, felis sed ullamcorper fermentum, sapien sapien suscipit
    justo, vel pharetra enim urna nec mi. Proin mollis augue sit amet
    diam. Praesent turpis arcu, dictum eget, pellentesque
    consectetuer, pretium quis, libero. Aliquam odio sapien, mollis
    eu, hendrerit quis, fermentum eget, elit. Nam placerat elit sit
    amet sem. Phasellus congue lectus a lacus. Nulla sollicitudin
    vestibulum justo. Donec quis leo. Aenean in ante ac metus
    sagittis consequat. Nulla semper odio a quam. Nam mi nulla,
    tristique vel, faucibus non, consequat sit amet, pede. Donec
    posuere. Quisque dui dui, tincidunt at, aliquet at, ullamcorper
    eget, dolor.</p>

    --
    BootNic Friday, October 20, 2006 12:09 AM

    One must learn by doing the thing, for though you think you know it,
    you have no certainty until you try.
    *Aristotle*
    BootNic, Oct 20, 2006
  11. richard

    jojo Guest

    wrote:

    >>> Just wondering if there was a way to place the scollbar on the left side
    >>> rather than the default right side.

    >> No, and your users would not expect to find it there either.

    > But just to show that there are cases for it:
    >
    > Left-handed users on a touchscreen PDA would love to have the option of
    > a left hand scrollbar. There's nothing worse than having to cover the
    > screen with your hand when trying to scroll with your left fingertip.

    I am left-handed myself but still able to use my right hand to scroll a
    page... I do not think this might be a problem. Perhaps you should hav
    written "one handed users with a left hand only" instead...
    jojo, Oct 20, 2006