scrollbar on left?

richard

Just wondering if there was a way to place the scollbar on the left side
rather than the default right side.
Such as when using overflow: auto.

kdarling

Dylan said:
No, and your users would not expect to find it there either.

But just to show that there are cases for it:

Left-handed users on a touchscreen PDA would love to have the option of
a left hand scrollbar. There's nothing worse than having to cover the
screen with your hand when trying to scroll with your left fingertip.

(Which is also the reason good touchscreen web apps put the menu at the
bottom of the screen... so your hand doesn't cover everything while
making a choice.)

Cheers, Kev

Dylan Parry

Left-handed users on a touchscreen PDA would love to have the option of
a left hand scrollbar. There's nothing worse than having to cover the
screen with your hand when trying to scroll with your left fingertip.

Then browsers on touchscreen PDAs should put the scrollbar on the left.
It's not the job of the webdesigner to change the interface of the
browsing software that the visitor chooses to use.

--
Dylan Parry

Programming, n: A pastime similar to banging one's head
against a wall, but with fewer opportunities for reward.

Benjamin Niemann

But just to show that there are cases for it:

Left-handed users on a touchscreen PDA would love to have the option of
a left hand scrollbar. There's nothing worse than having to cover the
screen with your hand when trying to scroll with your left fingertip.

(Which is also the reason good touchscreen web apps put the menu at the
bottom of the screen... so your hand doesn't cover everything while
making a choice.)

But this should be an option for the user - and a good one, as you showed.
How should a document author know, if users are left- or right-handed?

Benjamin Niemann

Beauregard said:
JavaScript, innit?

Nope, UserScript(TM) which will be part of IE8. Amongst other advanced
features, UserScript allows querying and manipulation of the UOM (User
Object Model), e.g. user.handedness or user.buyNow().

richard

richard said:
Just wondering if there was a way to place the scollbar on the left side
rather than the default right side.
Such as when using overflow: auto.

I was just being curious. It seems then that the scroll bar is fixed by the
browser.
Due to the mass of information my site is going to present, I just got to
thinking that in one section I might have two scrollbars in play. The second
one going to the left. But I'll see how things work out once I get it all
together.

kdarling

Benjamin said:
But this should be an option for the user - and a good one, as you showed.
How should a document author know, if users are left- or right-handed?

It's true that it'd be best done as a browser preference. But lacking
that support, then from a website (or in our case, intranet web apps)
point of view, cookies with the user's favorite handedness, color
schemes (for color blind users or B&W pdas), shortcuts, etc, would work
just fine. Actually in our case, we could save some of that info in
each user's profile that we have in a database at login time.

Regards, Kev
Verizon Mobile Dev

BootNic

richard said:
news: (e-mail address removed)
Just wondering if there was a way to place the scollbar on the left
side rather than the default right side.
Such as when using overflow: auto.

For a few browsers could be.

<head>
"text/html; charset=windows-1252">
<title></title>
..t {
color:#000;
background-color:inherit;
direction:rtl;
width:30em;
height: 5em;
overflow: auto;
border: 0.1em solid #080;
float:left;
}
..t * {
direction: ltr;
margin: 0.3em;
}
..t p:first-letter {
color: #080;
background-color:inherit;
font-size: 2em;
font-family: Elephant;
}
..t p {
color: #468;
background-color:inherit;
text-indent: 1.5em;
}
</head>
Integer aliquet orci sed urna. Maecenas at lorem id sem ultrices
pharetra. Morbi sed nisi a eros nonummy mollis. Pellentesque
molestie, felis sed ullamcorper fermentum, sapien sapien suscipit
justo, vel pharetra enim urna nec mi. Proin mollis augue sit amet
diam. Praesent turpis arcu, dictum eget, pellentesque
consectetuer, pretium quis, libero. Aliquam odio sapien, mollis
eu, hendrerit quis, fermentum eget, elit. Nam placerat elit sit
amet sem. Phasellus congue lectus a lacus. Nulla sollicitudin
vestibulum justo. Donec quis leo. Aenean in ante ac metus
sagittis consequat. Nulla semper odio a quam. Nam mi nulla,
tristique vel, faucibus non, consequat sit amet, pede. Donec
posuere. Quisque dui dui, tincidunt at, aliquet at, ullamcorper
eget, dolor.</p>

--
BootNic Friday, October 20, 2006 12:09 AM

One must learn by doing the thing, for though you think you know it,
you have no certainty until you try.
*Aristotle*

jojo

But just to show that there are cases for it:

Left-handed users on a touchscreen PDA would love to have the option of
a left hand scrollbar. There's nothing worse than having to cover the
screen with your hand when trying to scroll with your left fingertip.

I am left-handed myself but still able to use my right hand to scroll a
page... I do not think this might be a problem. Perhaps you should hav
written "one handed users with a left hand only" instead...