scrollbar problem

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Gaétan Tauvette, Mar 27, 2006.

  1. Gaétan Tauvette, Mar 27, 2006

  2. Gaétan Tauvette

    Stan McCann Guest

    "Gaétan Tauvette" <> wrote in
    news:QpZVf.864$:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I would like to know how come there's a scrollbar at the bottom when
    > you view the page at a 800 * 600 resolution, all my table widths are
    > set to 800.
    >
    > http://pages.videotron.com/bigguy96/gt/menu.htm

    On one of my systems, the web developer's tool bar tells me:

    window width = 800px, viewport width = 792px
    window height = 600px, viewport height = 432px

    Why are you using tables? I don't see any tabular data.
    Why are you setting table widths to a fixed size?
    Who cares about resolution? Window size is what matters.
    What are you transitioning from? Modern (new) web pages should be
    created using HTML 4.01 strict.

    --
    Stan McCann, "Uncle Pirate" http://stanmccann.us/
    Webmaster, NMSU at Alamogordo http://alamo.nmsu.edu/

    Stan McCann, Mar 27, 2006

  3. Gaétan Tauvette wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I would like to know how come there's a scrollbar at the bottom when you
    > view the page at a 800 * 600 resolution, all my table widths are set to
    > 800.
    >
    > http://pages.videotron.com/bigguy96/gt/menu.htm
    >
    > Thanks!

    When I set my monitor to 800x600, my viewport is 788x483 pixels. The page
    gets displayed in the viewport, so a scrollbar appears.

    Remember that, to the best of my knowledge, all browsers take up some of the
    windows space for various decorations, such as the tool bars along the top,
    some form of window border along the left, another along the right, likely
    including a scrollbar and a status bar and sometimes a horizontal scroll
    bar as well.

    I have a graphic on my desktop, that contains four boxes, with screen
    resolutions and maximized viewport sizes. When I want to test a page in a
    specific size, I just resize the window to fit the outline of the screen I
    want. Then I have a good idea of what it looks like. I use 800x600,
    640x480 for monitors and 320x320 and 160x160 for handhelds.

    Carolyn
    --
    Carolyn Marenger

    Carolyn Marenger, Mar 27, 2006
  4. Gaétan Tauvette wrote:

    > I would like to know how come there's a scrollbar at the bottom when
    > you view the page at a 800 * 600 resolution, all my table widths are
    > set to 800.
    >
    > http://pages.videotron.com/bigguy96/gt/menu.htm

    You have forgotten about the width of the vertical scrollbar and
    possibly other chrome in the window.

    Go here: http://k75s.home.att.net/
    and scroll down to the two links just above the flea.

    Then, consider making the design fit any sized browser.
    http://allmyfaqs.net/faq.pl?AnySizeDesign
    and without tables for layout.
    http://allmyfaqs.net/faq.pl?Tableless_layouts

    This is a new document? Should use a Strict doctype rather than
    Traditional, which is for legacy pages where you can't convert old
    presentational parts.

    --
    -bts
    -Warning: I brake for lawn deer

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 27, 2006
  5. Gov. of Canada web sites use tables for layout, that why.

    Same for the doctype.

    Gaétan Tauvette, Mar 27, 2006
  6. Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    > Gaétan Tauvette wrote:
    >
    >> I would like to know how come there's a scrollbar at the bottom when
    >> you view the page at a 800 * 600 resolution, all my table widths are
    >> set to 800.
    >>
    >> http://pages.videotron.com/bigguy96/gt/menu.htm

    > You have forgotten about the width of the vertical scrollbar and
    > possibly other chrome in the window.
    >
    > Go here: http://k75s.home.att.net/
    > and scroll down to the two links just above the flea.

    I did, and although a great idea, they fell short of my normally 1250ish
    viewport width. I guess that has been around for a while, and could use
    some updating. :)

    <snip>

    Carolyn
    --
    Carolyn Marenger

    Carolyn Marenger, Mar 28, 2006
  7. Carolyn Marenger wrote:

    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >> Go here: http://k75s.home.att.net/
    >> and scroll down to the two links just above the flea.

    > I did, and although a great idea, they fell short of my normally
    > 1250ish viewport width. I guess that has been around for a while,
    > and could use some updating. :)

    No thanks! Maybe later. ;-)

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 28, 2006
  8. Gaétan Tauvette

    Jim Moe Guest

    Gaétan Tauvette wrote:
    > Gov. of Canada web sites use tables for layout, that why.
    > Same for the doctype.

    The Gov of CA explicitly requires that its websites be laid out with
    tables and a HTML 4 Transitional DTD?

    >> Why are you using tables? I don't see any tabular data.
    >> Why are you setting table widths to a fixed size?
    >> Who cares about resolution? Window size is what matters.
    >> What are you transitioning from? Modern (new) web pages should be
    >> created using HTML 4.01 strict.

    (Remove .AXSPAMGN for email)

    Jim Moe, Mar 28, 2006
  9. Gaétan Tauvette

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, Gaétan Tauvette quothed:

    > Gov. of Canada web sites use tables for layout, that why.
    >
    > Same for the doctype.

    Ahh, but what do they use en Francais?

    --
    Neredbojias

    Neredbojias, Mar 28, 2006
  10. Gaétan Tauvette wrote:

    > Gov. of Canada web sites use tables for layout, that why.

    So you are the Government of Canada? That's a big job; I'm surprised that
    you have time to build web sites.

    > Same for the doctype.
    >
    > "Stan McCann" <> wrote in message
    >> "Gaétan Tauvette" <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> Hello,
    >>>
    >>> I would like to know how come there's a scrollbar at the bottom when
    >>> you view the page at a 800 * 600 resolution, all my table widths are
    >>> set to 800.
    >>>
    >>> http://pages.videotron.com/bigguy96/gt/menu.htm

    >> On one of my systems, the web developer's tool bar tells me:
    >>
    >> window width = 800px, viewport width = 792px window height = 600px,
    >> viewport height = 432px
    >>
    >> Why are you using tables? I don't see any tabular data. Why are you
    >> setting table widths to a fixed size? Who cares about resolution?
    >> Window size is what matters. What are you transitioning from? Modern
    >> (new) web pages should be created using HTML 4.01 strict.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Stan McCann, "Uncle Pirate" http://stanmccann.us/ Webmaster, NMSU at
    >> Alamogordo http://alamo.nmsu.edu/ Now blocking Google Grouper posts and
    >> replies. http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html