scrollbar problem

Stan McCann

Hello,

I would like to know how come there's a scrollbar at the bottom when
you view the page at a 800 * 600 resolution, all my table widths are
set to 800.

http://pages.videotron.com/bigguy96/gt/menu.htm

On one of my systems, the web developer's tool bar tells me:

window width = 800px, viewport width = 792px
window height = 600px, viewport height = 432px

Why are you using tables? I don't see any tabular data.
Why are you setting table widths to a fixed size?
Who cares about resolution? Window size is what matters.
What are you transitioning from? Modern (new) web pages should be
created using HTML 4.01 strict.

Carolyn Marenger

Gaétan Tauvette said:
Hello,

I would like to know how come there's a scrollbar at the bottom when you
view the page at a 800 * 600 resolution, all my table widths are set to
800.

http://pages.videotron.com/bigguy96/gt/menu.htm

Thanks!

When I set my monitor to 800x600, my viewport is 788x483 pixels. The page
gets displayed in the viewport, so a scrollbar appears.

Remember that, to the best of my knowledge, all browsers take up some of the
windows space for various decorations, such as the tool bars along the top,
some form of window border along the left, another along the right, likely
including a scrollbar and a status bar and sometimes a horizontal scroll
bar as well.

I have a graphic on my desktop, that contains four boxes, with screen
resolutions and maximized viewport sizes. When I want to test a page in a
specific size, I just resize the window to fit the outline of the screen I
want. Then I have a good idea of what it looks like. I use 800x600,
640x480 for monitors and 320x320 and 160x160 for handhelds.

Carolyn

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Gaétan Tauvette said:
I would like to know how come there's a scrollbar at the bottom when
you view the page at a 800 * 600 resolution, all my table widths are
set to 800.

http://pages.videotron.com/bigguy96/gt/menu.htm

You have forgotten about the width of the vertical scrollbar and
possibly other chrome in the window.

Go here: http://k75s.home.att.net/
and scroll down to the two links just above the flea.

Then, consider making the design fit any sized browser.
http://allmyfaqs.net/faq.pl?AnySizeDesign
and without tables for layout.
http://allmyfaqs.net/faq.pl?Tableless_layouts

This is a new document? Should use a Strict doctype rather than
Traditional, which is for legacy pages where you can't convert old
presentational parts.

Gaétan Tauvette

Gov. of Canada web sites use tables for layout, that why.

Same for the doctype.

Carolyn Marenger

Beauregard said:
You have forgotten about the width of the vertical scrollbar and
possibly other chrome in the window.

Go here: http://k75s.home.att.net/
and scroll down to the two links just above the flea.

I did, and although a great idea, they fell short of my normally 1250ish
viewport width. I guess that has been around for a while, and could use
some updating. :)

<snip>

Carolyn

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Carolyn said:
I did, and although a great idea, they fell short of my normally
1250ish viewport width. I guess that has been around for a while,
and could use some updating. :)

No thanks! Maybe later. ;-)

Jim Moe

Gaétan Tauvette said:
Gov. of Canada web sites use tables for layout, that why.
Same for the doctype.
The Gov of CA explicitly requires that its websites be laid out with
tables and a HTML 4 Transitional DTD?

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Gaétan Tauvette quothed:
Gov. of Canada web sites use tables for layout, that why.

Same for the doctype.

Ahh, but what do they use en Francais?

Blinky the Shark

Gaétan Tauvette said:
Gov. of Canada web sites use tables for layout, that why.

So you are the Government of Canada? That's a big job; I'm surprised that
you have time to build web sites.