scrollbar

Peter Fastré

Hello

I want to display a link on the bottom of a webpage to go to the top,
but only if the user has to scroll down. If there's a small page, this
link has no use.

I'm using the following code (in the body onload)
var wdb = window.document.body;
var scrolling;

if (wdb.scrollHeight > wdb.clientHeight) {
//alert('Scrolling=True');
document.getElementById('img_totop').style.visibility
= 'visible';
}
else {
//alert('Scrolling=False');
document.getElementById('img_totop').style.visibility
= 'hidden';
}

It works on Internet Explorer, scrollHeight is bigger than clientHeight
with a long page.
But not in firefox, scrollHeight = clientHeight in all cases.
What can I do about it?

regards

Peter

McKirahan

Peter Fastré said:
[...]

Won't this work for you:

<a name="top"></a>
..
..
..
..
..

The link will always show but on a short page it does nothing.

Peter Fastré

McKirahan said:
Won't this work for you:

<a name="top"></a>
.
.
.
.
.

The link will always show but on a short page it does nothing.
I know, but I don't want the link to be shown, it makes no sense if the
page is short.

regards

Peter

McKirahan

Peter Fastré said:
I know, but I don't want the link to be shown, it makes no sense if the
page is short.

regards

Peter

What dimension (in pixels) is a "short" page?

If the browser window is resized by the visitor
then the page may no longer be "short".

Peter Fastré

McKirahan said:
What dimension (in pixels) is a "short" page?

If the browser window is resized by the visitor
then the page may no longer be "short".
Short means to me, the page fits on the screen without scrollbars. It
makes no sense showing a top link in this case.
A long page means that the user has to scroll down to read everything,
causing the menu and navigation on top of the page to disappear. Users
want frames-websites, where navigation always stays on top. I have to
convince them not to use frames, and the 'top' link is one of my
arguments to drop the frames.

Regards

Peter

McKirahan

Peter Fastré said:
Short means to me, the page fits on the screen without scrollbars. It
makes no sense showing a top link in this case.
A long page means that the user has to scroll down to read everything,
causing the menu and navigation on top of the page to disappear. Users
want frames-websites, where navigation always stays on top. I have to
convince them not to use frames, and the 'top' link is one of my
arguments to drop the frames.

Regards

Peter

You didn't address my issue of resizing.

"Users want frames-websites ..." --
are you talking about your Users (or all Users)?

A small "top" image that may not always be applicable
is preferable to the use of scripting that may be disabled.

Another argument against frames is how the print!

RobB

Peter said:
[...]

This may need some fine-tuning.

window.onload = function()
{
var bShow,
el,
dHt = self.innerHeight ? self.innerHeight :
document.documentElement
&& document.documentElement.clientHeight ?
document.documentElement.clientHeight :
document.body ? document.body.clientHeight : null;
if (dHt && 'undefined' != typeof document.body.scrollHeight)
{
bShow = (document.body.scrollHeight > dHt);
if (document.getElementById
&& (el = document.getElementById('img_t­otop')))
el.style.visibility = bShow ? 'visible' : 'hidden';