Scrolling Behaviour with Vertical and Horizontal Frames

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Matt Rapoport, Oct 8, 2004.

  1. Hello,

    If you open a new spreadsheet in Excel and click on cell B1 and then
    go to Windows -> Freeze Panes it will create something similar to 4
    frames. There will be a horizontal pane that contains 2 parts and a
    vertical pane that contains 2 parts. I've labelled the "frames" below

    1 2
    3 4

    Here's the tricky part - if you scroll to the right, frames 1 and 3
    will stay put and BOTH frames 2 and 4 will scroll. If you scroll
    down, frames 1 and 2 will stay put and BOTH frames 3 and 4 will
    scroll.

    I need to create this sort of functionality in a web page. The
    problem is, if I create html frames I can't achieve this scrolling
    behaviour. The reason is, in order for it to work frame 4 must be
    able to scroll with BOTH frame 2 and frame 3 - depending on which way
    the user wants to scroll.

    Does anyone know if this is possible?

    Thanks a lot,

    Matt
    Matt Rapoport, Oct 8, 2004

  2. Matt Rapoport

    rf Guest

    Matt Rapoport wrote

    [excel spreadsheet]

    > I need to create this sort of functionality in a web page.

    A web page is not an excel spreadsheet.

    > Does anyone know if this is possible?

    No. Well, it might be using flash or something but not HTML.

    You might be able to handle the onscroll events and cause other frames to
    scroll but that would be very messy indeed.

    Perhaps you explain your problem rather than your percieved solution?

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.
    rf, Oct 8, 2004

  3. Matt Rapoport

    brucie Guest

    In alt.html Matt Rapoport said:

    > Hello,

    g'day

    > I need to create this sort of functionality in a web page.

    i agree with rf and in addition would suggest that curl would be the
    perfect solution to build the functionality you need.
    http://www.curl.com/ unfortunately very few know it exists so its only
    really practical in controlled environments.

    --
    i t ' s t h e l i t t l e v o i c e s
    brucie, Oct 8, 2004
  4. Matt Rapoport

    Adrienne Guest

    Gazing into my crystal ball I observed brucie <>
    writing in news::

    > http://www.curl.com/ unfortunately very few know it exists so its only
    > really practical in controlled environments.

    Very, very cool - my mind is spinning like a top. Thank you.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell
    Adrienne, Oct 8, 2004