Scrolling Behaviour with Vertical and Horizontal Frames

Matt Rapoport

Hello,

If you open a new spreadsheet in Excel and click on cell B1 and then
go to Windows -> Freeze Panes it will create something similar to 4
frames. There will be a horizontal pane that contains 2 parts and a
vertical pane that contains 2 parts. I've labelled the "frames" below

1 2
3 4

Here's the tricky part - if you scroll to the right, frames 1 and 3
will stay put and BOTH frames 2 and 4 will scroll. If you scroll
down, frames 1 and 2 will stay put and BOTH frames 3 and 4 will
scroll.

I need to create this sort of functionality in a web page. The
problem is, if I create html frames I can't achieve this scrolling
behaviour. The reason is, in order for it to work frame 4 must be
able to scroll with BOTH frame 2 and frame 3 - depending on which way
the user wants to scroll.

Does anyone know if this is possible?

Thanks a lot,

Matt

rf

Matt Rapoport wrote

[excel spreadsheet]
I need to create this sort of functionality in a web page.

A web page is not an excel spreadsheet.
Does anyone know if this is possible?

No. Well, it might be using flash or something but not HTML.

You might be able to handle the onscroll events and cause other frames to
scroll but that would be very messy indeed.

Perhaps you explain your problem rather than your percieved solution?

brucie

In alt.html Matt Rapoport said:
Hello,
g'day

I need to create this sort of functionality in a web page.

i agree with rf and in addition would suggest that curl would be the
perfect solution to build the functionality you need.
http://www.curl.com/ unfortunately very few know it exists so its only
really practical in controlled environments.