    Is there a plugin (e.g. for Dreamweaver) or something that would take
    all "the work" out of doing this and would make it easy for someone who
    is not an HTML guru?

    ©®, Nov 18, 2003

  2. ©® wrote:

    > Anyone know how this site has done the scrolling news-ticker (with
    > hyperlink):
    > http://www.virginrecords.co.uk/
    >
    > Is there a plugin (e.g. for Dreamweaver) or something that would take
    > all "the work" out of doing this and would make it easy for someone who
    > is not an HTML guru?

    Evil that you don't want to duplicate. Why do you think you need one?

    Leif K-Brooks, Nov 18, 2003

  3. ©®

    ©® Guest

    Leif K-Brooks wrote:
    > Evil that you don't want to duplicate. Why do you think you need one?

    Er... why is evil to have this?

    For a small site that I am doing we want to make the news items we have
    a little bit more "appealling" than just putting a list of news items on
    the page.

    ©®, Nov 18, 2003
  4. ©® wrote:
    > Leif K-Brooks wrote:
    >> Evil that you don't want to duplicate. Why do you think you need one?

    > Er... why is evil to have this?

    An oft-used answer is: What do you have that is so important you need to
    distract your visitor's attention from elsewhere on your page that is not
    important enough to be permanently displayed?

    --
    William Tasso - http://WilliamTasso.com

    William Tasso, Nov 18, 2003
  5. In article <3fba4ea9$0$64566$>,
    says...
    > Anyone know how this site has done the scrolling news-ticker (with
    > hyperlink):
    > http://www.virginrecords.co.uk/
    >
    > Is there a plugin (e.g. for Dreamweaver) or something that would take
    > all "the work" out of doing this and would make it easy for someone who
    > is not an HTML guru?

    Amazingly, viewing the source code shows that it's done with scrolling

    Have you thought of googling for "dreamweaver news ticker"? You'd have
    found
    http://tinyurl.com/vjkp
    http://tinyurl.com/vjkk

    --
    Hywel I do not eat quiche
    http://hyweljenkins.co.uk/

    Hywel Jenkins, Nov 18, 2003
  6. ©® wrote:
    > Anyone know how this site has done the scrolling news-ticker (with
    > hyperlink):
    > http://www.virginrecords.co.uk/

    this is how they do it.......

    <marquee>
    </marquee>

    .... however, it is recommended that it is not done...
    * lots of poeple do not like moving bits when viewing pages.
    * lots of browsers dont support the marquee element. (I suppose it could be
    done in js, but still...)
    * It distract from other parts of your page.
    * It means that the user must wait until the scroll fully circles until they
    can finish reading what just scrolled by that was too fast. (and before you
    say "it will be slow", how do you know what is slow enough for a
    particularly slow reader.)

    So, its easy to do, but its just not recommende

    Disco Octopus, Nov 18, 2003
  7. ©®

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Sometime around Tue, 18 Nov 2003 17:49:09 -0000, William Tasso is reported
    to have stated:

    > An oft-used answer is: What do you have that is so important you need to
    > distract your visitor's attention from elsewhere on your page that is not
    > important enough to be permanently displayed?

    Or from a slightly different perspective: What is not important enough to
    be permanently displayed on the page, but important enough that your
    visitor is going to wait for it to come back if they miss it?

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

    Mark Parnell, Nov 18, 2003
  8. ©® wrote:

    >For a small site that I am doing we want to make the news items we have
    >a little bit more "appealling" than just putting a list of news items on
    >the page.

    s/appealling/annoying/

    Why should a user waste his time with waiting for the scrolling news?
    Life is short and time is money. If you have something to say then put
    it on the website so a user can get it quickly.

    Micha

    Michael Fesser, Nov 19, 2003
  9. ©®

    Safalra Guest