Scrolling news ticker

©

©®

Anyone know how this site has done the scrolling news-ticker (with
hyperlink):
http://www.virginrecords.co.uk/

Is there a plugin (e.g. for Dreamweaver) or something that would take
all "the work" out of doing this and would make it easy for someone who
is not an HTML guru?

Leif K-Brooks

©® said:
Anyone know how this site has done the scrolling news-ticker (with
hyperlink):
http://www.virginrecords.co.uk/

Is there a plugin (e.g. for Dreamweaver) or something that would take
all "the work" out of doing this and would make it easy for someone who
is not an HTML guru?

Evil that you don't want to duplicate. Why do you think you need one?

©

©®

Leif said:
Evil that you don't want to duplicate. Why do you think you need one?

Er... why is evil to have this?

For a small site that I am doing we want to make the news items we have
a little bit more "appealling" than just putting a list of news items on
the page.

William Tasso

©® said:
Er... why is evil to have this?

An oft-used answer is: What do you have that is so important you need to
distract your visitor's attention from elsewhere on your page that is not
important enough to be permanently displayed?

Hywel Jenkins

Anyone know how this site has done the scrolling news-ticker (with
hyperlink):
http://www.virginrecords.co.uk/

Is there a plugin (e.g. for Dreamweaver) or something that would take
all "the work" out of doing this and would make it easy for someone who
is not an HTML guru?

Amazingly, viewing the source code shows that it's done with scrolling

Have you thought of googling for "dreamweaver news ticker"? You'd have
found
http://tinyurl.com/vjkp
http://tinyurl.com/vjkk

Disco Octopus

©® said:
Anyone know how this site has done the scrolling news-ticker (with
hyperlink):
http://www.virginrecords.co.uk/

this is how they do it.......

<marquee>
</marquee>

.... however, it is recommended that it is not done...
* lots of poeple do not like moving bits when viewing pages.
* lots of browsers dont support the marquee element. (I suppose it could be
done in js, but still...)
* It distract from other parts of your page.
* It means that the user must wait until the scroll fully circles until they
can finish reading what just scrolled by that was too fast. (and before you
say "it will be slow", how do you know what is slow enough for a
particularly slow reader.)

So, its easy to do, but its just not recommende

Mark Parnell

Sometime around Tue, 18 Nov 2003 17:49:09 -0000, William Tasso is reported
to have stated:
An oft-used answer is: What do you have that is so important you need to
distract your visitor's attention from elsewhere on your page that is not
important enough to be permanently displayed?

Or from a slightly different perspective: What is not important enough to
be permanently displayed on the page, but important enough that your
visitor is going to wait for it to come back if they miss it?

Michael Fesser

©® said:
For a small site that I am doing we want to make the news items we have
a little bit more "appealling" than just putting a list of news items on
the page.

s/appealling/annoying/

Why should a user waste his time with waiting for the scrolling news?
Life is short and time is money. If you have something to say then put
it on the website so a user can get it quickly.

Micha