Scrolling tables ... almost there

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Alan Searle, Nov 2, 2007.

  1. Alan Searle

    Alan Searle Guest

    Hi everyone,

    I need to incorporate a scrolling table into a web-site and so have been
    experimenting with various thead/tbody examples that I have found on my
    googling expeditions.

    So far I have put together the following example ...

    http://alse.load4.net/tabletest/table_test08.html

    .... which works perfectly under Firefox and looks OK under IE (7.0) but
    under IE I find that the content of the first cell is hidden under my
    header-bar. You will see that the first 'The Rain in Spain' appears
    under Firefox but is hidden with IE.

    I am hoping that there is a CSS guru out there who can take a look at my
    code and tell me how I might be able to teak it to fix this problem?

    Many thanks,
    Alan Searle

    Alan Searle, Nov 2, 2007

  2. Alan Searle

    Els Guest

    Alan Searle wrote:

    > http://alse.load4.net/tabletest/table_test08.html
    >
    > ... which works perfectly under Firefox and looks OK under IE (7.0) but
    > under IE I find that the content of the first cell is hidden under my
    > header-bar. You will see that the first 'The Rain in Spain' appears
    > under Firefox but is hidden with IE.
    >
    > I am hoping that there is a CSS guru out there who can take a look at my
    > code and tell me how I might be able to teak it to fix this problem?

    You have this code in your styles, hidden from Firefox:
    thead tr {
    position: absolute;
    /* top: expression( this.parentNode.offsetHeight - 6 ); */
    }

    I guess that means that the tr in the thead is not taking up any space
    (normal side-effect of position:absolute), so the tbody starts at the
    top of the table, and is therefore covered by the thead.

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/

    Els, Nov 2, 2007

  3. Alan Searle

    dorayme Guest

    In article <fgekr2$ak7$>,
    Alan Searle <> wrote:

    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > I need to incorporate a scrolling table into a web-site and so have been
    > experimenting with various thead/tbody examples that I have found on my
    > googling expeditions.
    >
    > So far I have put together the following example ...
    >
    > http://alse.load4.net/tabletest/table_test08.html
    >
    > ... which works perfectly under Firefox and looks OK under IE (7.0) but
    > under IE I find that the content of the first cell is hidden under my
    > header-bar. You will see that the first 'The Rain in Spain' appears
    > under Firefox but is hidden with IE.
    >
    > I am hoping that there is a CSS guru out there who can take a look at my
    > code and tell me how I might be able to teak it to fix this problem?

    This implementation does not work at all on Mac Safari. There was
    a recent thread on this, perhaps you could look it up.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Nov 2, 2007
  4. Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Nov 2, 2007
  5. On 2007-11-02, Alan Searle wrote:

    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > I need to incorporate a scrolling table into a web-site and so have been
    > experimenting with various thead/tbody examples that I have found on my
    > googling expeditions.
    >
    > So far I have put together the following example ...
    >
    > http://alse.load4.net/tabletest/table_test08.html
    >
    > ... which works perfectly under Firefox

    For what value of "works perfectly"? This is how it looks in
    Firefox on my computer: <http://cfaj.freeshell.org/testing/fwh.jpg>.

    Author:

    Chris F.A. Johnson, Nov 3, 2007
  6. Alan Searle

    Bone Ur Guest

    Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Sat, 03 Nov 2007 19:37:49
    GMT Chris F.A. Johnson scribed:

    >> I need to incorporate a scrolling table into a web-site and so have
    >> been experimenting with various thead/tbody examples that I have
    >> found on my googling expeditions.
    >>
    >> So far I have put together the following example ...
    >>
    >> http://alse.load4.net/tabletest/table_test08.html
    >>
    >> ... which works perfectly under Firefox

    > For what value of "works perfectly"? This is how it looks in
    > Firefox on my computer:
    > <http://cfaj.freeshell.org/testing/fwh.jpg>.

    I wonder if he meant "table test with a female _and_ male"?

    --
    Bone Ur
    Cavemen have formidable pheromones.

    Bone Ur, Nov 3, 2007