SDK VS RUNTIME LIBRARY

Kevin

Wondering what the difference is. As it is I have an application on a
share which doesn't run if we install the 2.0 runtime. But when the
SDK is installed it works fine. Wondering what kind of issues would
cause this.
Thanks in advance for any responses

Juan T. Llibre

re:
Wondering what the difference is. As it is I have an application on a
share which doesn't run if we install the 2.0 runtime. But when the
SDK is installed it works fine. Wondering what kind of issues would cause this.

None. What error messages do you get when you've only installed the runtime ?

The SDK is simply the runtime plus a bunch of examples.
There's nothing additional to the runtime which is installed by the SDK.

Damien

Juan said:
re:

None. What error messages do you get when you've only installed the runtime ?

The SDK is simply the runtime plus a bunch of examples.
There's nothing additional to the runtime which is installed by the SDK.
The SDK does include some useful tools. Can't imagine many would be
used by an end program except possibly ResGen (I've often wondered why
they ship the vb and c# compilers as part of the framework, so you can
do dynamic code generation, but don't ship the resource compiler) or sn

To the OP, are you dependent on any of the tools in the bin folder of
the sdk?

Damien

Juan T. Llibre

re:
The SDK does include some useful tools.
Indeed...

re:
Can't imagine many would be used by an end program

I can imagine how many : none!

re:
except possibly ResGen

Hmm...on-the-fly-generation of resources would seem to be a minefield.

re:
I've often wondered why they ship the vb and c# compilers as part of the framework,
so you can do dynamic code generation, but don't ship the resource compiler

Excellent point!

The resource compiler should be a part of the redistributable.

re:
To the OP, are you dependent on any of the tools in the bin folder of the sdk?

Aren't those tools command-line tools not designed to be used on the web ?
Again, using them online would seem to be a dangerous minefield.

I was thinking ( regarding the OP's problem ) more along the lines
of the source code viewer in the quickstart/util directory.

In any case, until he replies with an error message, this is highly speculative.

Again, great point about the resource compiler!