Seach for encrypted socket wrapper

Hans Müller

Hello experts,

I'm looking for secure way to pass messages from a python program to a c-library in both ways.

This scenario is given:

display client Calculation module in COBOL (yes, big, old but it works well)
(python, wxpython) <- Network connection -> C-Lib beeing called from COBOL to communicaty with
display client

The network connection should be encrypted. And fail save.
Has someone an idea what to use ?

I have had a short look on xml rpc which can run over a https server but this seems quite fat.
Better ideas ?!
Importand is also that the C-Lib on the cobol side should be coded as simple as possible.
Platforms: Windows, *ix

Thanks a lot.

Hans

garabik-news-2005-05

Hans Müller said:
Hello experts,

I'm looking for secure way to pass messages from a python program to a c-library in both ways.

This scenario is given:

display client Calculation module in COBOL (yes, big, old but it works well)
(python, wxpython) <- Network connection -> C-Lib beeing called from COBOL to communicaty with
display client

The network connection should be encrypted. And fail save.
Has someone an idea what to use ?

I have had a short look on xml rpc which can run over a https server but this seems quite fat.
Better ideas ?!

Standard TCP connection, forwarded via stunnel or ssh, Should be no brainer if the
COBOL side is running on a reasonably modern unix.

| Radovan Garabík http://kassiopeia.juls.savba.sk/~garabik/ |
| __..--^^^--..__ garabik @ kassiopeia.juls.savba.sk |

bobicanprogram

Hello experts,

I'm looking for secure way to pass messages from a python program to a c-library in both ways.

This scenario is given:

display client Calculation module in COBOL (yes, big, old but it works well)
(python, wxpython) <- Network connection -> C-Lib beeing called from COBOL to communicaty with
display client

The network connection should be encrypted. And fail save.
Has someone an idea what to use ?

I have had a short look on xml rpc which can run over a https server but this seems quite fat.
Better ideas ?!
Importand is also that the C-Lib on the cobol side should be coded as simple as possible.
Platforms: Windows, *ix

Thanks a lot.

Hans

The SIMPL toolkit is quite lightweight (http://www.icanprogram.com/
simpl). It can be used to join a Python program to a C program.
However, SIMPL messages are treated as blocks of bytes from the
prespective of the toolkit. It should be quite straightforward to
graft an encription layer above this to do what you want.

If you want some "hello world" level Python-SIMPL examples you can
look here: http://www.icanprogram.com/06py/main.html

bob

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

Hans Müller said:
display client Calculation module in COBOL (yes, big, old but it
works well)
(python, wxpython) <- Network connection -> C-Lib beeing called from
COBOL to communicaty with
display client

The network connection should be encrypted. And fail save.

Not sure what you mean by "fail save". But I have used protocols built on
this sort of framework

<http://codecodex.com/wiki/index.php?title=Simple_Chunk_Protocol_Format>
<http://codecodex.com/wiki/index.php?title=Simple_Chunk_Authentication_Protocol>
<http://codecodex.com/wiki/index.php?title=Simple_Chunk_Encryption_Protocol>