Search a string inside an xml node

lejason

Hello, I am looking for a way to do a string search inside an xml.
Basically, I work for a company that wants to export an XML file from
and excel sheet and then have that data be presented on the web. Part
of the presentation is that they want to be able to "search" for their
favorite dealers. So, this will be a string search.

The difficulty is, we dont have .NET, we dont have a SQL server -- all
I can use is ASP classic.

So, I can read/parse the XML and I can search for static things like
zip codes and products (products from a drop down list that dont
change) using simple "if" statements however, when it comes to a
string, unless the user enters it EXACTLY how its spelled an
punctuated in the XML, it wont return the match (of course).

I've read about a lot of functionality that .NET offers for string
search, but I havent yet found anything for classic.

The code I am going to post works and will eventually become the
actual engine, but for now the variables are for people - name, color,
number.

So the million dollar question is, if I wanted to add another
dimension to my array that had a string where I wanted to pick up on
keywords - lets say one word in up to 230 characters, how on earth
would I create a function to make it searchable (search inside of a
string)

thanks guys

(here is the code)

<%

Dim xdoc
Set xdoc=Server.CreateObject("Microsoft.XMLDOM")
xdoc.async=false
xdoc.load("/newtext.xml")

if xdoc.parseError.errorcode<>0 then
response.write "there was obviously an error"
else
response.write "Things worked"
end if

dim theLength
theLength = xdoc.SelectNodes("/test/person").length

dim counter
counter = 0

dim theArray()
ReDim theArray(theLength, 2)

For Each elemPerson in xdoc.SelectNodes("/test/person")
For Each elem in elemPerson.SelectNodes("*")
theArray(counter,0)= elemPerson.childNodes(0).text
theArray(counter,1)= elemPerson.childNodes(1).text
theArray(counter,2)= elemPerson.childNodes(2).text
Next
counter = counter + 1
Next

dim real
real = theLength - 1

dim rowcounter
rowcounter = 1

For i=0 to real

dim personName
personName = theArray(i, 0)
dim personColor
personColor = theArray(i, 1)
dim personNumber
personNumber = theArray(i, 2)

dim search_name
search_name = "Jason"
dim search_color
search_color = "blue"
dim search_number
search_number = "16"

dim color
color = " class='even'"

if rowcounter MOD 2 <> 0 then
color = " class='odd'"
end if

if (personName = search_name or personColor = search_color) then
response.write "<tr" & color &">"
response.write "<td>" & personName & "</td>"
response.write "<td>" & personColor & "</td>"
response.write "<td>" & personNumber & "</td>"
response.write "<td>" & rowcounter & "</td>"
response.write "</tr>"

rowcounter = rowcounter + 1

end if

Next