Search a Text File for a String, Return String to Function

cl

Howdy

So while I've been able to do things similar to this in other languages
I thought I'd sharpent my Perl skills but, alas, those skills were more
dull then I thought.

What I'm trying to do is search a text file for a string "<a
href="something">" and return that something do another part of the
script. The "something" part changes at random so that one day the
first line of the file I am searching could be

"<a href="something">"

and the next day it could be

"<a href="and now for something completly different">"

So I guess what I'm saying is I want to return whatever is between the
quotes that start after the first instance of href that Perl finds in
the file.

Thoughts on how to go about this in a somewhat effeciant way?

Dr.Ruud

(e-mail address removed) schreef:
So while I've been able to do things similar to this in other
languages I thought I'd sharpent my Perl skills but, alas, those
skills were more dull then I thought.

What I'm trying to do is search a text file for a string "<a
href="something">" and return that something do another part of the
script. The "something" part changes at random so that one day the
first line of the file I am searching could be

"<a href="something">"

and the next day it could be

"<a href="and now for something completly different">"

So I guess what I'm saying is I want to return whatever is between the
quotes that start after the first instance of href that Perl finds in
the file.

Thoughts on how to go about this in a somewhat effeciant way?

From all those I guess that you just want to find the value of a link in
HTML?
http://search.cpan.org/search?query=html+link&mode=module

Did you read the Posting Guidelines yet?