    Evaluating them will be a huge task.

    Thanks
    MG
    MG, Feb 13, 2008

  2. MG

    J.O. Aho Guest

    MG wrote:
    > Can you recommend an easy to use Search and Replace Utility that will
    > operate on multiple files. Typical use will be to modify navigation menus
    > across multiple html files, or to update the copyright notice from 2007 to
    > 2008, etc. Preferably freeware.

    sed is perfect for this kind of job.
    It's released under GPL as software should be.

    --

    //Aho
    J.O. Aho, Feb 13, 2008

  3. MG

    JohnW-Mpls Guest

    On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 22:34:33 +0200, "MG" <> wrote:

    >Can you recommend an easy to use Search and Replace Utility that will
    >operate on multiple files. Typical use will be to modify navigation menus
    >across multiple html files, or to update the copyright notice from 2007 to
    >2008, etc. Preferably freeware.
    >
    >Or is there a good website that lists them, with ratings.
    >
    >Google lists hundreds of them. Free to download, but then pay to use.
    >Evaluating them will be a huge task.
    >
    >Thanks
    >MG

    Take a look at Edit Pad Pro - it will do HTML multiple-file search
    and replace. Price is $49.95 for single user. editpadpro.com

    For most of my HTML, I am still using Homesite which I have had for
    over 7 years now. I don't know if it is still for sale - code rights
    were sold to Marcromedia who was later bought by Adobe.

    I originally got Edit Pad Pro to replace WordPad, etc, but it is a gem
    - can do all kinds of things - I installed it last summer and am still
    learning and personalizing it - even using it instead of my old
    favorite TSE (The Semware Editor, the grown-up QEdit). I been
    editing and writing code for 30 years and this is one nice product.

    --
    JohnW-Mpls
    JohnW-Mpls, Feb 13, 2008
  4. MG

    Ed Jay Guest

    MG scribed:

    >Can you recommend an easy to use Search and Replace Utility that will
    >operate on multiple files. Typical use will be to modify navigation menus
    >across multiple html files, or to update the copyright notice from 2007 to
    >2008, etc. Preferably freeware.
    >
    >Or is there a good website that lists them, with ratings.
    >
    >Google lists hundreds of them. Free to download, but then pay to use.
    >Evaluating them will be a huge task.

    Absolutely the best one I've come across, and it's free.
    <http://www.orbit.org/replace/>
    --
    Ed Jay (remove 'M' to respond by email)
    Ed Jay, Feb 13, 2008
  5. MG wrote:

    > Can you recommend an easy to use Search and Replace Utility that will
    > operate on multiple files. Typical use will be to modify navigation menus
    > across multiple html files, or to update the copyright notice from 2007 to
    > 2008, etc. Preferably freeware.
    >
    > Or is there a good website that lists them, with ratings.
    >
    > Google lists hundreds of them. Free to download, but then pay to use.
    > Evaluating them will be a huge task.

    I was quite happy with this, before I got off the MS tit. Not that you
    mentioned what OS you'd like such a utility for, thus requiring guesses.

    http://www.inforapid.de/html/searchreplace.htm

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    Blinky the Shark, Feb 14, 2008
  6. MG

    Bergamot Guest

    MG wrote:
    > Can you recommend an easy to use Search and Replace Utility that will
    > operate on multiple files. Typical use will be to modify navigation menus
    > across multiple html files, or to update the copyright notice from 2007 to
    > 2008, etc. Preferably freeware.

    Consider using a pre-processor. Change the navbar once, run a script,
    and the site is all updated in a few seconds. Upload it and you're done.

    The one I use is GTML, written in perl, but there are plenty of others.
    http://www2.lifl.fr/~beaufils/gtml/

    --
    Berg
    Bergamot, Feb 14, 2008
  7. MG

    Ed Mullen Guest

    JohnW-Mpls wrote:
    > On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 22:34:33 +0200, "MG" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Can you recommend an easy to use Search and Replace Utility that will
    >> operate on multiple files. Typical use will be to modify navigation menus
    >> across multiple html files, or to update the copyright notice from 2007 to
    >> 2008, etc. Preferably freeware.
    >>
    >> Or is there a good website that lists them, with ratings.
    >>
    >> Google lists hundreds of them. Free to download, but then pay to use.
    >> Evaluating them will be a huge task.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> MG
    >>

    > Take a look at Edit Pad Pro - it will do HTML multiple-file search
    > and replace. Price is $49.95 for single user. editpadpro.com
    >
    > For most of my HTML, I am still using Homesite which I have had for
    > over 7 years now. I don't know if it is still for sale - code rights
    > were sold to Marcromedia who was later bought by Adobe.
    >
    > I originally got Edit Pad Pro to replace WordPad, etc, but it is a gem
    > - can do all kinds of things - I installed it last summer and am still
    > learning and personalizing it - even using it instead of my old
    > favorite TSE (The Semware Editor, the grown-up QEdit). I been
    > editing and writing code for 30 years and this is one nice product.

    I'll second that. Been using EditPad Pro for a number of years as my
    default editor. Love it.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net