    to search the profiles of people is so horribly limited. Has anyone
    written some kind of
    Perl interface or some way to do more advanced searches of personals ?

    surf, Feb 5, 2006

  2. "surf" <> wrote in news:1139182441.648596.323310
    @o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

    > Some web sites like Yahoo have tons of people in their personals, but
    > the ability to search the profiles of people is so horribly limited. Has
    > anyone written some kind of Perl interface or some way to do more

    Why don't you ask Yahoo?

    http://developer.yahoo.net/

    --
    A. Sinan Unur <>

    A. Sinan Unur, Feb 6, 2006

  3. "surf" <> writes:

    > Some web sites like Yahoo have tons of people in their personals,
    > but the ability to search the profiles of people is so horribly
    > limited. Has anyone written some kind of Perl interface or some way
    > to do more advanced searches of personals ?

    I haven't for Yahoo, but I once wrote my own system for some other
    personals sites that had much worse search and display capabilities.
    The mining program broke down like this:

    Get a list of new profiles since the last run. (This part varies a
    lot from site to site.)

    Foreach profile, check it against my requirements (age, weight,
    whatever)

    If it matches, save the profile text to a file (generally with the
    extraneous ads and stuff stripped). Parse out the person's vital
    statistics and save them to a database. Fetch any pictures
    belonging to the profile and save them with a naming scheme matching
    them to the profile, and add links to them to the profile.

    This resulted in a nice database on my local system holding only the
    important information, an html file for each profile, and a set of
    images. Then I had a second program I'd run to look through them and
    delete the ones I wasn't interested in.

    None of it was that complicated. The hardest part was parsing through
    the HTML mess each site used on its profile pages -- figuring out what
    tags and text I could count on staying the same in every profile so I
    could parse out the right info.

    --
    Aaron --
    http://360.yahoo.com/aaron_baugher