search data from lots o' xml documents at once

estaples

I have 2400 xml documents, all following the same DTD.

I would like to do google-type searching against these documents where
my users can pick from 3 fields (say title, bodytext, and signedby) and
do free-text searches on the data.

Ideally, I'd give them a results set that looks a lot like the google
interface. I am open to any suggestion that doesn't involve
installation of new software on my server (because the admin people
will never allow it).

Ed Staples

Martin Honnen

I have 2400 xml documents, all following the same DTD.

I would like to do google-type searching against these documents where
my users can pick from 3 fields (say title, bodytext, and signedby) and
do free-text searches on the data.

Ideally, I'd give them a results set that looks a lot like the google
interface. I am open to any suggestion that doesn't involve
installation of new software on my server (because the admin people
will never allow it).

Google has a lot of tools with lots of interfaces so I have no idea what
particular interface you have in mind.
As for searching XML documents I don't think client-side DOM is feasable
for searching 2400 different XML documents sitting on the server.

estaples

OK, let's say I want it to look like the standard google search-results
page you get when you type in google.com.

And instead of 2400 documents, let's say I have 24.

Tim Williams

Let's say you let us know exactly what is available to you right now
for this "Google search".
You say "no new software" on your server, yet you haven't specified
what is *already* on the server (if anything).

If you want your results to look like google then copy Google's HTML.
It's all right there in the page.

And please try to include some content from the message you're
replying to when you post.

.... and don't top post.

Tim.