    inexepensive web spider/search engine that can index PDFs, Office 2007
    documents and HTML pages and has a relatively usable web search interface?

    -Darrel
    darrel, Jun 4, 2008

  2. darrel

    Guest

    On Jun 3, 4:18 pm, "darrel" <> wrote:
    > I'm in need of a cheap, windows-based web site indexer/search engine that,
    > ideally, has some .net integration and/or can sit along side of an asp.net
    > web site fairly easily.
    >
    > We've used DTSearch in the past, but found the Asp.net support/documentation
    > lacking and gave up on it for various reasons.
    >
    > We fell in love with Zoom Search, which is a GREAT product for the price
    > ($100) But, alas, they don't have Office 2007 document support yet, so can't
    > scan any of our documents with it.
    >
    > Search Server Express or MOSS is the obvious choice, but for political
    > reasons, isn't an option for the short term.
    >
    > So...does that leave us with any options? Anyone know of a relatively
    > inexepensive web spider/search engine that can index PDFs, Office 2007
    > documents and HTML pages and has a relatively usable web search interface?
    >
    > -Darrel

    MS Indexing Services? Sorry if that is a silly idea, I'm new to
    ASP .NET... I do know that it can index the documents you've
    mentioned, and doing queries is easy (for example, using ADO). It has
    a few different methods for querying, I'd imagine at least one should
    be easy to do from ASP .NET (this is probably the part that I'm wrong
    about?).

    If not that, can you store the documents in a SQL server? SQL Server
    2008 added support for large files, and indexed searching of them
    (they took MS Indexing Services and pretty much made it part of SQL
    server now, from what I understand).
    , Jun 4, 2008

  3. darrel

    darrel Guest

    > MS Indexing Services?

    Has that even been updated for Office 2007?

    > I'd imagine at least one should
    > be easy to do from ASP .NET (this is probably the part that I'm wrong
    > about?).

    We used it back in the ASP days, but AFAIK, that was never really updated to
    have any real integration with ASP.net.

    > If not that, can you store the documents in a SQL server? SQL Server

    2008 added support for large files, and indexed searching of them
    (they took MS Indexing Services and pretty much made it part of SQL
    server now, from what I understand).

    Hmm...it would require a rewrite of the app, but, good suggestion.

    The catch is that MOSS is coming online for us, so that will be what we
    eventually use, however, there is an interim time period where we won't have
    MOSS available for search and need a 'duct tape' solution until then.

    Zoom search is great and we were just going to use that until MOSS was up
    and running but it never occured to me to confirm that it supported Office
    2007.

    -Darrel
    darrel, Jun 4, 2008
  4. darrel

    Guest

    On Jun 3, 5:06 pm, "darrel" <> wrote:
    > > MS Indexing Services?

    > Has that even been updated for Office 2007?

    Yes, we are using it on 2000 server and it works with Office 2007
    files. I don't think we even had to update anything special, I think
    it just updated with a service pack. We tested it with the normal
    file types, and also the new XML type files.... maybe that is why it
    works, because the new format is XML based. Not sure, but I know we
    released a product that uses it, so we did heavy testing of it, and it
    works great. For PDFs we had to install Acrobat Reader on the server
    (a newish version, 7.0 I think, so not too new), but that wasn't a big
    deal for us.
    , Jun 5, 2008