Search Engine help

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Ted Zlatanov, Aug 15, 2003.

  1. Ted Zlatanov

    Ted Zlatanov Guest

    On Fri, 15 Aug 2003, wrote:

    > I am currently constructing a small search facility in perl for a
    > website i am creating, and have become quite confused on a couple of
    > things.
    >
    > the datafile will be something like below;
    >
    > Name|Area|Website|etc...
    >
    > My main confusion is when a user does a search and i wish to display
    > the results to the user, i take it that i need to create a temporary
    > page, so how do i create a temporary page to display the results in
    > (when creating the temporary page how do i ensure that another user
    > searching doesn't get the same temporary file as another user that
    > is currently searching) and clear it up when the user closes his
    > browser or leaves the site?
    >
    > Hope i explained my self well enough :)

    If I understand you correctly, you should consider using a database
    table to hold things to be searched (web site areas? HTML pages?
    URLs?) and creating indices on the search keys (keywords, names,
    areas, etc.). Then, you can write a very simple Class::DBI script to
    do on-the-fly searching without using any intermediate data files.

    The key thing is that you have to update the database table when web
    site data is updated. You can do this with scheduled updates, or by
    triggering an update every time the web site pages are modified.

    I am assuming here that you want to write your own search, and are
    not interested in any of the existing solutions; if that's not true
    then definitely look at the free searching software out there before
    you write your own. This is a problem that may be easily solved for
    you without writing custom code.

    Ted
    Ted Zlatanov, Aug 15, 2003

  2. Ted Zlatanov

    No Name Guest

    Hi,

    I am currently constructing a small search facility in perl for a website i
    am creating, and have become quite confused on a couple of things.

    the datafile will be something like below;

    Name|Area|Website|etc...

    My main confusion is when a user does a search and i wish to display the
    results to the user, i take it that i need to create a temporary page, so
    how do i create a temporary page to display the results in (when creating
    the temporary page how do i ensure that another user searching doesn't get
    the same temporary file as another user that is currently searching) and
    clear it up when the user closes his browser or leaves the site?

    Hope i explained my self well enough :)

    Thanks for your time and patience.

    N.Name

    ---
    This e-mail has been virus scanned and is certified virus Free.
    No Name, Aug 15, 2003