Search Engine Listings

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by MDW, Jul 21, 2006.

  1. MDW

    MDW Guest

    Posted this on another board, but evidently it was off-topic there...hope you
    folks will be able to provide some guidance.

    I've been working on a Web site for a business (my first non-personal site)
    and I want to help my client get the best search engine listing. Because this
    is my first for-profit site, I'm not sure what I need to do for optimal
    search engine placement. I've been poking around the Web, and I think I have
    a good start, but there are a few questions still remaining:

    1) What do I need to do in order to actually GET a page listed in a search
    engine to begin with? Do I contact the search engines somehow, or are the
    listings somehow updated automatically.

    2) I've seen tips that advise putting meta keywords, etc., on EVERY page on
    the site. However, we want users to only come to the site via the "front
    door" - the index page. I don't see much reason to put a bunch of keywords on
    a page that might be the third part of an application process - coming to the
    site on that page would cause visitors to be confused. If I limited the
    search engine keywords to just the index page, would that hurt the listing?

    --
    Hmm...they have the Internet on COMPUTERS now!
    MDW, Jul 21, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. MDW

    Mike Brind Guest

    MDW wrote:
    > Posted this on another board, but evidently it was off-topic there...hope you
    > folks will be able to provide some guidance.
    >


    How did you work out that it was on-topic here? Which bit of search
    engine optimisation do you think involves server-side programming?

    --
    Mike Brind
    Mike Brind, Jul 21, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. MDW

    MDW Guest

    Well, server-side programming is generally done by Web developers...within
    that population, I would presume that some of them have worked on public,
    commercial Web sites....and it didn't seem far off to guess that at least
    some of that number have experience with search engines.

    However, if you can point me to the "microsoft.public.search-engines" board,
    I'll be happy to post my question there.
    --
    Hmm...they have the Internet on COMPUTERS now!


    "Mike Brind" wrote:

    >
    > MDW wrote:
    > > Posted this on another board, but evidently it was off-topic there...hope you
    > > folks will be able to provide some guidance.
    > >

    >
    > How did you work out that it was on-topic here? Which bit of search
    > engine optimisation do you think involves server-side programming?
    >
    > --
    > Mike Brind
    >
    >
    MDW, Jul 21, 2006
    #3
  4. MDW

    Mike Brind Guest

    Taking that line of argument to its logical extension will lead to
    people posting questions about pensions. I mean, some web developers
    must have a pension, right?

    I find Google a useful resource, especially Google Groups. A search
    for 'search engine' immediately threw up this group:
    alt.internet.search-engines, which seems quite busy...

    --
    Mike Brind

    MDW wrote:
    > Well, server-side programming is generally done by Web developers...within
    > that population, I would presume that some of them have worked on public,
    > commercial Web sites....and it didn't seem far off to guess that at least
    > some of that number have experience with search engines.
    >
    > However, if you can point me to the "microsoft.public.search-engines" board,
    > I'll be happy to post my question there.
    > --
    > Hmm...they have the Internet on COMPUTERS now!
    >
    >
    > "Mike Brind" wrote:
    >
    > >
    > > MDW wrote:
    > > > Posted this on another board, but evidently it was off-topic there...hope you
    > > > folks will be able to provide some guidance.
    > > >

    > >
    > > How did you work out that it was on-topic here? Which bit of search
    > > engine optimisation do you think involves server-side programming?
    > >
    > > --
    > > Mike Brind
    > >
    > >
    Mike Brind, Jul 21, 2006
    #4
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Brent
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    435
    Craig Deelsnyder
    Jun 10, 2005
  2. Blogger Team

    Free Listings in Blog directory

    Blogger Team, Nov 27, 2005, in forum: ASP .Net
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    354
    Blogger Team
    Nov 27, 2005
  3. Chris McMahon
    Replies:
    11
    Views:
    702
    Chris McMahon
    Jun 27, 2005
  4. Sasha
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    577
    Sasha
    May 22, 2007
  5. pandi
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    439
    pandi
    Dec 14, 2009
Loading...

Share This Page