search engine tips!

vishnu mahendra

hello to all,
i am new to javascript and i have planned to do a search engine in windows.
please kindly tell me where should i start and please give me some tips.

thank you in advance,
vishnu

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

vishnu said:
i am new to javascript and i have planned to do a search engine in windows.

Where should the search engine run? What should it search for?

Should it search using a database? If yes, what kind of database?
Where is the data to be searched located?
please kindly tell me where should i start

The FAQ and, say, the Encyclopedia Britannica for proper spelling.
and please give me some tips.

Why not, if I would be presented a problem and an approach to solve it.

PointedEars

vishnu mahendra

i want to create a search engine to search the internet( a simpler
version of google).

thank you in advance,
vishnu

Paul Cooper

i want to create a search engine to search the internet( a simpler
version of google).

thank you in advance,
vishnu

As the Irishman asked for directions said, "I wouldn't start from
here"!

Javascript is not suitable for creating a search engine, which must
include at least the following elements:

1) A mechanism for getting information from web-sites automatically.
2) A mechanism for storing relevant information
3) A mechanism for retrieving information relevant to the user
4) An algorithm or algorithms for "ranking" sites so that the user is
presented with sites likely to meet his or her needs.

You need to look at software agents for the first, database management
for the second and third and PhD level research for the last one,
coupled with an on-going research effort to keep one ahead of the
trash merchants who try and subvert the ratings to put their porn site
at the top of the list!

Paul