    trying to grasp is how these other pages get any ranking at all.
    According to Google, there are no backlinks to his site.

    Can anyone explain?
    Fugetaboutit, Aug 29, 2005

  2. Fugetaboutit wrote:

    > A friend's web site has only one menu on each page, which is
    > completely hidden with Javascript disabled. His Home Page Google
    > PageRank is 3 and the other pages are either 2, 1, or 0. What I'm
    > trying to grasp is how these other pages get any ranking at all.
    > According to Google, there are no backlinks to his site.
    >
    > Can anyone explain?

    Quite a ways back, I had a similar question, and the answer I had gotten
    was similar to:

    A. Google only shows back links with a PR > 3 or hides other for some
    secret reason

    B. Google hasn't updated its back links database for a while, and there
    really are links that just aren't showing up yet in Google.

    It was enough to satisfy my curiosity - especially since about a week
    later I had a PR boost and about 3 dozen back links started appearing in
    Google.

    --
    Justin Koivisto, ZCE -
    http://koivi.com
    Justin Koivisto, Aug 29, 2005

  3. Fugetaboutit

    John Bokma Guest

    Fugetaboutit <yer.m@ma> wrote:

    > A friend's web site has only one menu on each page, which is
    > completely hidden with Javascript disabled. His Home Page Google
    > PageRank is 3 and the other pages are either 2, 1, or 0. What I'm
    > trying to grasp is how these other pages get any ranking at all.

    Depends on how well the other pages are hidden. A search engine might be
    able to extract an URL from:

    It's just some extra parsing. Of course, by moving the javascript into
    OnClick, and using a normal href, you make more people (and probably SE
    bots) happy.

    Other options:

    - visited the pages with Google toolbar on (IIRC this works)
    - other people have linked to the page(s)

    > According to Google, there are no backlinks to his site.

    Possible, Google doesn't list them all. Try yahoo (and even then).

    --
    John Perl SEO tools: http://johnbokma.com/perl/
    Experienced (web) developer: http://castleamber.com/
    John Bokma, Aug 29, 2005
  4. Fugetaboutit

    Fugetaboutit Guest

    On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 15:31:04 -0500, Fugetaboutit <yer.m@ma> wrote:

    >A friend's web site has only one menu on each page, which is
    >completely hidden with Javascript disabled. His Home Page Google
    >PageRank is 3 and the other pages are either 2, 1, or 0. What I'm
    >trying to grasp is how these other pages get any ranking at all.
    >According to Google, there are no backlinks to his site.
    >
    >Can anyone explain?

    Thanks, people, those are good answers I hadn't thought of; much
    appreciated.
    Fugetaboutit, Aug 29, 2005
  5. __/ [Justin Koivisto] on Monday 29 August 2005 21:32 \__

    > Fugetaboutit wrote:
    >
    >> A friend's web site has only one menu on each page, which is
    >> completely hidden with Javascript disabled. His Home Page Google
    >> PageRank is 3 and the other pages are either 2, 1, or 0. What I'm
    >> trying to grasp is how these other pages get any ranking at all.
    >> According to Google, there are no backlinks to his site.
    >>
    >> Can anyone explain?

    > Quite a ways back, I had a similar question, and the answer I had gotten
    > was similar to:
    >
    > A. Google only shows back links with a PR > 3 or hides other for some
    > secret reason

    Not necessarily true. Some pages with low PageRank would get displayed too
    so a "fallacy" is what you might label the above.

    > B. Google hasn't updated its back links database for a while, and there
    > really are links that just aren't showing up yet in Google.

    True, but predictions say that in accordance with previous update cycles,
    Google should update IBL's very shortly.

    > It was enough to satisfy my curiosity - especially since about a week
    > later I had a PR boost and about 3 dozen back links started appearing in
    > Google.

    There are datacentre inconsistencies, particularly around the time when
    updates take place.

    All the best guys,

    Roy

    --
    Roy S. Schestowitz Useless fact: Florida is bigger than England
    http://Schestowitz.com
    Roy Schestowitz, Aug 30, 2005