    this for you? what language do i need to learn? sorry for any ignorance or
    if this is the wrong group to ask

    porcelina

    porcelina, Dec 14, 2003

  2. porcelina

    Cameron Guest

    porcelina wrote:

    > hey all,
    >
    > im not sure where to post this but if somone could point me in the right
    > direction it would be greatly appreciated. basically, i feel competent
    > enough with html and graphic design but i want to start making more
    > 'functional' websites. for example, could someone point me in the direction
    > where i can learn how to make basic seach functions on websites. im familiar
    > with fields and such in excel but have no experience in writing code where
    > users can search by field and or range(S). are there programs that can do
    > this for you? what language do i need to learn? sorry for any ignorance or
    > if this is the wrong group to ask
    >
    > porcelina

    Well, it depends to what extent you want to search the website, there
    are many ways you could go about it with regards to matching pages,
    personally I would use the PHP server side scripting language, but this
    is not something you can learn to do effectively over night, I believe,
    and I hesitate to say this, the frontpage extensions provide some kind
    of website search functionality, but I never use them so can't provide
    any information on them really. Meta tags are the age old method of
    providing a description of pages and keywords, so you could create a
    script if you were to learn a language to get these tags and match them
    against what the user specifies in the search field, or indeed you could
    search the entire page, you can make the search as thorough or as simple
    as you like, but the more complex the search the harder it will be to do.

    ~Cameron

    Cameron, Dec 14, 2003

  3. porcelina

    brucie Guest

    in post <news:3fdbfcdf$>
    porcelina said:

    > i feel competent enough with html and graphic design but i want to
    > start making more 'functional' websites.

    the first step would be improving your html/css design skills. adding a
    search capability isn't going to improve sites functionality if its
    already broken.

    > for example, could someone point me in the direction where i can learn
    > how to make basic seach functions on websites.

    whats your favorite server side language?

    http://www.hotscripts.com/PHP/Scripts_and_Programs/Search_Engines/
    http://www.hotscripts.com/Perl/Scripts_and_Programs/Searching/
    http://www.hotscripts.com/ASP/Scripts_and_Components/Searching/

    --
    brucie
    14/December/2003 04:28:32 pm kilo

    brucie, Dec 14, 2003
  4. porcelina

    George Self Guest

    porcelina wrote:

    > hey all,
    >
    > im not sure where to post this but if somone could point me in the right
    > direction it would be greatly appreciated. basically, i feel competent
    > enough with html and graphic design but i want to start making more
    > 'functional' websites. for example, could someone point me in the
    > direction where i can learn how to make basic seach functions on websites.
    > im familiar with fields and such in excel but have no experience in
    > writing code where users can search by field and or range(S). are there
    > programs that can do this for you? what language do i need to learn? sorry
    > for any ignorance or if this is the wrong group to ask
    >
    > porcelina

    You may want to investigate the power of Google for this type of function.
    It's possible to create a Google search that is restricted to only a single
    domain. Armed with that possibility, you could create a search form that
    will accept certain values from your user (like the search phrase), append
    the "magic phrase" to restrict the search to the domain of interest, and
    send it to Google as an action ("http://www.google.com/search"). You would
    then get a standard Google search results page back.

    Of course, since this is a Goolge feature, your results page will have their
    stanard advertising boxes - but that may be a small price to pay for the
    power of Google in an easy-to-create form. You can find a wonderful example
    of this type of interface at http://www.faganfinder.com/engines
    google.shtml. The author has included a pile of JavaScript to do some
    prelimiary checking of the data entered (for example, searching by date
    requires coverting dates to julian). This page, though, permits you to
    search only a specific domain, among other things.

    For the more adventurous, there is a Google API (Applications Programming
    Interface) so you could write your own PHP, C#, PERL, or whatever code and
    hook directly into Google's search engine.

    All of this information comes from the O'Reilly book "Google Hacks" by
    Calishain and Dornfest (ISBN: 0596004478). The book has examples of code
    you can use to create your own Google interface. (By the way, this is not a
    paid advertisment. I'm not one of the authors nor do I get any sort of
    "kickback" (I wish I did). I just like the book and think it would help you
    in creating a site-level search page.)

    Good luck in your project.

    --George

    George Self, Dec 14, 2003