    hosting and management.
    --
    Speaking Clock
    Speaking Clock, Jul 23, 2005

  2. > nothing about .asp. Am I being spun a yarn? Is it really that hard to
    > implement a search facility on an .asp site?

    That depends. Is the content of the site hard-coded into the ASP pages, or
    does it come from a database? If it is from the database, then it will
    certainly take more than an hour or two to implement a decent search
    function. If it is in the ASP pages, then they would likely need to
    implement something like index server, which is not a trivial undertaking
    either.
    Aaron Bertrand [SQL Server MVP], Jul 23, 2005

  3. > nothing about .asp. Am I being spun a yarn? Is it really that hard to
    > implement a search facility on an .asp site? I would appreciate opinions
    > please.

    You should also take a look at Google, they have search functionality you
    should be able to just drop into your site (but without knowing more about
    your CRM system and how it works, I'm not sure how much more complicated it
    will get before it works correctly).
    Aaron Bertrand [SQL Server MVP], Jul 23, 2005
  4. > your CRM system

    Sorry, content management, not CRM. Too many projects going on. :)
    Aaron Bertrand [SQL Server MVP], Jul 23, 2005
  5. Aaron Bertrand [SQL Server MVP] wrote:
    >> nothing about .asp. Am I being spun a yarn? Is it really that hard
    >> to implement a search facility on an .asp site?

    > That depends. Is the content of the site hard-coded into the ASP
    > pages, or does it come from a database?

    Not entirely sure, but to add page content I have to use an interface that
    looks awfully like something from a database, so I guess it's that. As I
    said, the whole system is proprietary, so it's hard to tell exactly what's
    going on

    > If it is from the database,
    > then it will certainly take more than an hour or two to implement a
    > decent search function. If it is in the ASP pages, then they would
    > likely need to implement something like index server, which is not a
    > trivial undertaking either.

    I think what they have in mind is adding to each existing page all the
    likely search terms as keywords and then compiling one new document
    containing all those search terms.

    What has p*ssed me off slightly is that when I asked why the search facility
    hadn't been included from the word go, the webhost tried to persuade me that
    a lot of site owners these days have decided that search buttons aren't that
    important. &^*%!!!

    Thanks for your other replies too. I shall investigate the Google idea.

    --
    Speaking Clock
    Speaking Clock, Jul 23, 2005