Search facility in website

aQuiesce

Hi,
I run a website, and I have basic HTML knowledge. I was just wondering if it
is easy'ish to implement a search facility into the site, where someone can
search for something and it displays the images?

Is it something a novice can do or does it involve another language?

Roy Schestowitz

__/ [aQuiesce] on Friday 16 September 2005 18:11 \__
Hi,
I run a website, and I have basic HTML knowledge. I was just wondering if
it is easy'ish to implement a search facility into the site, where someone
can search for something and it displays the images?

Images?!?!

To have search capabilities in place, you can use Ht://Dig <
http://www.htdig.org/ > or the more modern PhpDig < http://www.phpdig.net/
to name just a few free applications. These can be difficult to install
to an amateur, so be warned. If you Web sites is or has been thouroughly
crawled by major search engines, you can use these for site search, which
is also easier to implement -- or shall I say -- to incorporate.

Look, for example, at the source of the following page <
http://www.schestowitz.com/Search/ >, then copy relevant bits, modifying
them to suit your purpose.

Is it something a novice can do or does it involve another language?

You needn't program anything. Many search facilities have been implemented
already. You just need to 'plug some in' using the interfaces or using some
known API's.

Hope it helps,

Roy

aQuiesce

Thanks for that I'll take a look at those links.