    is easy'ish to implement a search facility into the site, where someone can
    search for something and it displays the images?

    Is it something a novice can do or does it involve another language?
    aQuiesce, Sep 16, 2005

  2. __/ [aQuiesce] on Friday 16 September 2005 18:11 \__

    > Hi,
    > I run a website, and I have basic HTML knowledge. I was just wondering if
    > it is easy'ish to implement a search facility into the site, where someone
    > can search for something and it displays the images?

    Images?!?!

    To have search capabilities in place, you can use Ht://Dig <
    http://www.htdig.org/ > or the more modern PhpDig < http://www.phpdig.net/
    > to name just a few free applications. These can be difficult to install

    to an amateur, so be warned. If you Web sites is or has been thouroughly
    crawled by major search engines, you can use these for site search, which
    is also easier to implement -- or shall I say -- to incorporate.

    Look, for example, at the source of the following page <
    http://www.schestowitz.com/Search/ >, then copy relevant bits, modifying
    them to suit your purpose.

    > Is it something a novice can do or does it involve another language?

    You needn't program anything. Many search facilities have been implemented
    already. You just need to 'plug some in' using the interfaces or using some
    known API's.

    Hope it helps,

    Roy

    --
    Roy S. Schestowitz | "These characters were randomly picked"
    http://Schestowitz.com | SuSE Linux | PGP-Key: 74572E8E
    Roy Schestowitz, Sep 16, 2005

  3. aQuiesce

    aQuiesce Guest

    Thanks for that I'll take a look at those links.

    aQuiesce, Sep 16, 2005