Search facility?

Craven Birds

Newbie:

Anyone out there who can direct me to a programme/script et al that will
allow me to incorporate a search engine feature for a specific website?

Tried using dreamweaver to do it but to be honest it's beyond me:-(

TIA

Regards,
Chris

Will Spencer

Anyone out there who can direct me to a programme/script et al that will
allow me to incorporate a search engine feature for a specific website?

The alt.internet.search-engines FAQ has this to say:
(Source: http://www.internet-search-engines-faq.com/site-search.shtml)
(Note: This looks significantly better in HTML)

How do I add a site search feature to my web site?

A site search feature is an option to enable your web users to search your
entire web site for the content they are looking for.

The two general methods of implementing a site search are:

..Site Search Online Services
..Site Search Server Based Programs
..Site Search Online Services

FreeFind is an online service that will automatically create, update and
host a site search feature for you. FreeFind is free for personal use on
sites with less than 32MB of HTML. FreeFind also creates a site map for
your site.

Google's Customizable Free Search is a useful tool that implements a site
search using the Google database along with an option to use Google to
search the entire Internet.

FreeFind is a better tool to use if Google doesn't index your site
frequently. FreeFind will index your site whenever you choose.

Google's site search has a slightly more attractive user interface.

Other services which implement and host site searches include:

..FusionBot
..BraveNet Site Search
..Atomz
..SpaceSurfer MiniSearch
..WhatUSeek SiteLevel
..Site Search Server Based Programs

Some webmasters prefer to install and use a site search program on their
server. This is a greater administrative burden, but it also gives the
webmaster greater control over his site search.

Most of these server based site search systems are PERL scripts.

The current leader in site search is ht://dig. However, ht://dig is
powerful and can be complex to setup. A smaller and easier package might
be better for your needs.

Other software packages which implement site search include:

..aspseek
..DataparkSearch
..nutch
..mnoGoSearch
..site Search
..Simple Search
..Fluid Dynamics Search Engine
..Perlfect Search
..KSearch
..Hukilau Search Engine
..JA Search
..eXtropia Site Search

klinky

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 16:09:29 GMT, Will Spencer

: The two general methods of implementing a site search are:
:
: .Site Search Online Services
: .Site Search Server Based Programs
: .Site Search Online Services
:
: FreeFind is an online service that will automatically create, update and
: host a site search feature for you. FreeFind is free for personal use on
: sites with less than 32MB of HTML. FreeFind also creates a site map for
: your site.
:
: Google's Customizable Free Search is a useful tool that implements a site
: search using the Google database along with an option to use Google to
: search the entire Internet.

Google updates my site quite frequently. But the big plus is that your
_ranking_ improves with them, and they will spider your site much quicker (I
have known people to wait in excess of 6 months). Furthermore, Google
enhances your image and credibility. Google is well-respected.

www.sabf.co.za loves Google.

Sid

data64

Craven Birds said:
Newbie:

Anyone out there who can direct me to a programme/script et al that will
allow me to incorporate a search engine feature for a specific website?

Tried using dreamweaver to do it but to be honest it's beyond me:-(

TIA

Regards,
Chris

We use the open source Swish-E (http://swish-e.org/).
I found it to be really flexible, extensible, fast and provided relevant
results for the most part.

data64

Charles Angelich