Search for free VHDL

makok

Hello,
I´m searching for a free VHDL program like Mentor(VHDL93). It can be for
Windows or Linux. Important is simulating. I have chosen one program where I
couldn´t simulate. I have already deleted it.

Can anybody help me.

Martin

valentin tihomirov

You can use WebPack. It includes free simulation and synthesis tools, i.e.
Modelsim and XST. They both are user-hostile, but what you want for free?

valentin tihomirov

You can get 20-day evaluation full-license for ActiveHDL to accomplish your
task and see how development tools should look like.

Leon Heller

makok said:
Hello,
I´m searching for a free VHDL program like Mentor(VHDL93). It can be for
Windows or Linux. Important is simulating. I have chosen one program where I
couldn´t simulate. I have already deleted it.

Sonata comes in a (limited) free version for Linux amd Windows. It only
does simulation, but that appears to be all you need.

Leon

Wong

What about VHDL Simuli ?

Leon Heller said:
Sonata comes in a (limited) free version for Linux amd Windows. It only
does simulation, but that appears to be all you need.

Leon

Martin Kokelmann

valentin said:
You can get 20-day evaluation full-license for ActiveHDL to accomplish
your task and see how development tools should look like.

I've chosen the Smash-VHDL from Dolphin. But I cannot compile. It seems to
be a evaluation version.

Martin

dannoritzer

Hi,

I would be interested if somebody could share some experience about VHDL
Simuli.

I am still a pretty newbie in digital logic design. In my previous job
we used Riviera from Aldec for simulation. Developing test benches and
running some verification was all what I did so far.

I heard about post synthesis simulation and I am interested in Soft
Processors like the MicroBlaze. Are there some limitations in using VHDL
Simuli for things like that?

My interest is in having a simulator running under a Linux environment.
All the Linux versions like ModelSim or Riviera are the high end
versions and cost a lot.

Is there a comparison available were the differences are and when I run
into limitations using VHDL Simuli?

Thanks for the help.

Guenter

Mike Treseler

I would be interested if somebody could share some experience about VHDL Simuli.

VHDL Simuli + gui + waveform display is now called sonata.
I evaluated the default/free version and it seems to work fine.
I am still a pretty newbie in digital logic design. In my previous job we
used > Riviera from Aldec for simulation. Developing test benches and running
some > > verification was all what I did so far.

Sonata covers the same territory.
The full version allows variable display
and has size limits removed.
I heard about post synthesis simulation and I am interested in Soft
Processors > like the MicroBlaze. Are there some limitations in using VHDL
Simuli for
things like that?

None that wouldn't apply to any simulator.
Without source code, your sims will be slow.

Consider using a real processor if you need one,
or design an fpga controller if you don't.
My interest is in having a simulator running under a Linux environment. All
the Linux versions like ModelSim or Riviera are the high end versions and
cost > a lot.

You can download the default/free linux version of sonata
and evaluate it for yourself. The full version is considerably
cheaper than ModelSim or Riviera last I checked.
Is there a comparison available were the differences are and when I run into

Consider posting one when you complete your evaluation.

-- Mike Treseler

Theo Staquet

Go to: www.altera.com and download section. Choose the student license
version of MAX+PLUSII v10.2 software en register to get your free license
file. Place the file in the directory where you've placed the maxplus2
program, start the program, click on license setup in a dropdown menu, give
the path and close the program. Then restart the program, and you will be
able to simulate too.

Alan

I am a newbie in vhdl and looking for a vhdl simulator.
MAX+PLUSII seems to be a very good choice, but recently,
I applied for its license file THREE TIMES and have been waiting
for nearly two weeks AND I AM STILL WAITING FOR THE LICENSE FILE
to come.
The e-mail address I filled in was correct.
I sent an e-mail to Altera, and I got no reply.
I don't know what happened to Altera's licensing system !

Are there any other good free simulators I can download ?

Thanks

Alan

Martin Thompson

Alan said:
I am a newbie in vhdl and looking for a vhdl simulator.
MAX+PLUSII seems to be a very good choice, but recently,

Max plus II is not a VHDL simulator. The VHDL synthesis with MP2 is
buggy also.
Are there any other good free simulators I can download ?

Well, Xilinx have a free version that is severely limited in
performance, but is probably OK for initial educational use.

Otherwise try a google for free vhdl simulator ;-)

Cheers,
Martin

valentin tihomirov

I applied to Altera several mothes ago and they responded fast, within one
week. There were a problem with Simplify, I was waiting more than a month. I
think, ActiveHDL is perfect for educational and other use.

Mike Treseler

Alan said:
I am a newbie in vhdl and looking for a vhdl simulator.
MAX+PLUSII seems to be a very good choice, but recently,
I applied for its license file THREE TIMES and have been waiting
for nearly two weeks AND I AM STILL WAITING FOR THE LICENSE FILE
to come.
Are there any other good free simulators I can download ?

Yes. It's at the end of your own posting.

Sonata has downloads for windows or linux.

-- Mike Treseler

Alan

Mike Treseler said:
Yes. It's at the end of your own posting.

I don't think so. Because when I applied it the second time
it was already THREE DAYS after my first apply. It was the other
three days when I applied it the third time.
After you apply a licensing file, Altera will tell you thay it may take
12 hours for the file to reach you due to internet traffic. Someone
told me that half an hour after he applied for the licensing file,
he got it. Someone even said it just told a few minutes.
If it takes more than three days for an automatic internet licensing
system to respond, it would be better if the system is handled by
human hands.