    couldn´t simulate. I have already deleted it.

    Can anybody help me.

    Martin
    makok, Feb 15, 2004

  2. You can use WebPack. It includes free simulation and synthesis tools, i.e.
    Modelsim and XST. They both are user-hostile, but what you want for free?
    valentin tihomirov, Feb 15, 2004

  3. You can get 20-day evaluation full-license for ActiveHDL to accomplish your
    task and see how development tools should look like.
    valentin tihomirov, Feb 15, 2004
  4. makok

    Leon Heller Guest

    makok wrote:

    > Hello,
    > I´m searching for a free VHDL program like Mentor(VHDL93). It can be for
    > Windows or Linux. Important is simulating. I have chosen one program where I
    > couldn´t simulate. I have already deleted it.

    Sonata comes in a (limited) free version for Linux amd Windows. It only
    does simulation, but that appears to be all you need.

    Leon
    --
    Leon Heller, G1HSM
    Email:
    Leon Heller, Feb 15, 2004
  5. makok

    Wong Guest

    What about VHDL Simuli ?

    Wong, Feb 16, 2004
  6. valentin tihomirov wrote:

    > You can get 20-day evaluation full-license for ActiveHDL to accomplish
    > your task and see how development tools should look like.

    I've chosen the Smash-VHDL from Dolphin. But I cannot compile. It seems to
    be a evaluation version.

    Martin
    Martin Kokelmann, Feb 16, 2004
  7. makok

    Guest

    Hi,

    I would be interested if somebody could share some experience about VHDL
    Simuli.

    I am still a pretty newbie in digital logic design. In my previous job
    we used Riviera from Aldec for simulation. Developing test benches and
    running some verification was all what I did so far.

    I heard about post synthesis simulation and I am interested in Soft
    Processors like the MicroBlaze. Are there some limitations in using VHDL
    Simuli for things like that?

    My interest is in having a simulator running under a Linux environment.
    All the Linux versions like ModelSim or Riviera are the high end
    versions and cost a lot.

    Is there a comparison available were the differences are and when I run
    into limitations using VHDL Simuli?

    Thanks for the help.

    Guenter

    Wong wrote:

    > What about VHDL Simuli ?
    >
    > Leon Heller <> wrote in message news:<402f9d11$0$6851$>...
    >
    >>makok wrote:
    >>

    >>>Hello,
    >>>I´m searching for a free VHDL program like Mentor(VHDL93). It can be for
    >>>Windows or Linux. Important is simulating. I have chosen one program where I
    >>>couldn´t simulate. I have already deleted it.

    >>Sonata comes in a (limited) free version for Linux amd Windows. It only
    >>does simulation, but that appears to be all you need.
    >>
    >>Leon
    , Feb 16, 2004
  8. wrote:

    > I would be interested if somebody could share some experience about VHDL Simuli.

    VHDL Simuli + gui + waveform display is now called sonata.
    I evaluated the default/free version and it seems to work fine.

    > I am still a pretty newbie in digital logic design. In my previous job we

    used > Riviera from Aldec for simulation. Developing test benches and running
    some > > verification was all what I did so far.

    Sonata covers the same territory.
    The full version allows variable display
    and has size limits removed.

    > I heard about post synthesis simulation and I am interested in Soft

    Processors > like the MicroBlaze. Are there some limitations in using VHDL
    Simuli for
    > things like that?

    None that wouldn't apply to any simulator.
    Without source code, your sims will be slow.

    Consider using a real processor if you need one,
    or design an fpga controller if you don't.

    > My interest is in having a simulator running under a Linux environment. All
    > the Linux versions like ModelSim or Riviera are the high end versions and

    cost > a lot.

    You can download the default/free linux version of sonata
    and evaluate it for yourself. The full version is considerably
    cheaper than ModelSim or Riviera last I checked.

    > Is there a comparison available were the differences are and when I run into
    > > limitations using VHDL Simuli?

    Consider posting one when you complete your evaluation.

    -- Mike Treseler
    Mike Treseler, Feb 16, 2004
  9. makok

    Theo Staquet Guest

    Go to: www.altera.com and download section. Choose the student license
    version of MAX+PLUSII v10.2 software en register to get your free license
    file. Place the file in the directory where you've placed the maxplus2
    program, start the program, click on license setup in a dropdown menu, give
    the path and close the program. Then restart the program, and you will be
    able to simulate too.

    Theo Staquet, Mar 5, 2004
  10. makok

    Alan Guest

    I am a newbie in vhdl and looking for a vhdl simulator.
    MAX+PLUSII seems to be a very good choice, but recently,
    I applied for its license file THREE TIMES and have been waiting
    for nearly two weeks AND I AM STILL WAITING FOR THE LICENSE FILE
    to come.
    The e-mail address I filled in was correct.
    I sent an e-mail to Altera, and I got no reply.
    I don't know what happened to Altera's licensing system !

    Are there any other good free simulators I can download ?

    Thanks

    Alan

    Alan, Mar 5, 2004
  11. "Alan" <> writes:

    > I am a newbie in vhdl and looking for a vhdl simulator.
    > MAX+PLUSII seems to be a very good choice, but recently,

    Max plus II is not a VHDL simulator. The VHDL synthesis with MP2 is
    buggy also.
    <snip>

    > Are there any other good free simulators I can download ?

    Well, Xilinx have a free version that is severely limited in
    performance, but is probably OK for initial educational use.

    Otherwise try a google for free vhdl simulator ;-)

    Cheers,
    Martin

    --

    TRW Conekt, Solihull, UK
    http://www.trw.com/conekt
    Martin Thompson, Mar 5, 2004
  12. I applied to Altera several mothes ago and they responded fast, within one
    week. There were a problem with Simplify, I was waiting more than a month. I
    think, ActiveHDL is perfect for educational and other use.
    valentin tihomirov, Mar 5, 2004
  13. Alan wrote:
    > I am a newbie in vhdl and looking for a vhdl simulator.
    > MAX+PLUSII seems to be a very good choice, but recently,
    > I applied for its license file THREE TIMES and have been waiting
    > for nearly two weeks AND I AM STILL WAITING FOR THE LICENSE FILE
    > to come.

    > Are there any other good free simulators I can download ?

    Yes. It's at the end of your own posting.

    >>>You can download the default/free linux version of sonata
    >>>and evaluate it for yourself.

    Sonata has downloads for windows or linux.

    -- Mike Treseler
    Mike Treseler, Mar 5, 2004
  14. makok

    Alan Guest

    "Mike Treseler" <> ?????
    > Alan wrote:
    > > I am a newbie in vhdl and looking for a vhdl simulator.
    > > MAX+PLUSII seems to be a very good choice, but recently,
    > > I applied for its license file THREE TIMES and have been waiting
    > > for nearly two weeks AND I AM STILL WAITING FOR THE LICENSE FILE
    > > to come.

    > > Are there any other good free simulators I can download ?

    > Yes. It's at the end of your own posting.

    I don't think so. Because when I applied it the second time
    it was already THREE DAYS after my first apply. It was the other
    three days when I applied it the third time.
    After you apply a licensing file, Altera will tell you thay it may take
    12 hours for the file to reach you due to internet traffic. Someone
    told me that half an hour after he applied for the licensing file,
    he got it. Someone even said it just told a few minutes.
    If it takes more than three days for an automatic internet licensing
    system to respond, it would be better if the system is handled by
    human hands.

    Alan, Mar 6, 2004
  15. Alan wrote:

    >>Yes. It's at the end of your own posting.

    > I don't think so.
    > After you apply a licensing file, Altera will tell you thay it may take

    Simili/sonata has nothing to do with Altera,
    and requires no licence file for the free version.

    http://www.symphonyeda.com/proddownloads.htm

    -- Mike Treseler
    Mike Treseler, Mar 6, 2004