    in pdf file.

    Please help

    S N

    S N, Mar 20, 2009

  2. S wrote on Fri, 20 Mar 2009 18:38:50 +0530:

    > I have placed a search form on the home page (using ASP/VbScript).
    > I want that when the user clicks search button, the script should
    > search the key word in the database as well as in the searchable text
    > of pdf files, html files present on the site. The results shown should
    > be concatenated with no boundary segregation indicating that particular
    > occurance is in database or in pdf file.

    > Please help

    > S N

    You can do this with the Adobe PDF iFilter combined with SQL Server Full
    Text Search. You can put the PDF binary data into a SQL Server table and
    have FTS index it, and then you can use SQL queries to search on those words
    and return results.

    You might want to post in the microsoft.public.sqlserver.fulltext newsgroup
    if you want to go down this route.

    What database are you currently using? That might help point you to
    something similar if you don't use SQL Server.

    --
    Dan

    Daniel Crichton, Mar 20, 2009

  3. S N

    S N Guest

    I am using MS Access database.
    Kindly guide on how to achieve the searching I need.

    S N, Mar 20, 2009
  4. S N

    Evertjan. Guest

    S N wrote on 20 mrt 2009 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:

    > "Daniel Crichton" <> wrote in message
    >>S wrote on Fri, 20 Mar 2009 18:38:50 +0530:
    >>
    >>> I have placed a search form on the home page (using ASP/VbScript).
    >>> I want that when the user clicks search button, the script should
    >>> search the key word in the database as well as in the searchable
    >>> text of pdf files, html files present on the site. The results
    >>> shown should be concatenated with no boundary segregation indicating
    >>> that particular occurance is in database or in pdf file.

    >> You can do this with the Adobe PDF iFilter combined with SQL Server
    >> Full Text Search. You can put the PDF binary data into a SQL Server
    >> table and have FTS index it, and then you can use SQL queries to
    >> search on those words and return results.
    >>
    >> You might want to post in the microsoft.public.sqlserver.fulltext
    >> newsgroup if you want to go down this route.
    >>
    >> What database are you currently using? That might help point you to
    >> something similar if you don't use SQL Server.

    [Please do not toppost on usenet]

    > I am using MS Access database.
    > Kindly guide on how to achieve the searching I need.

    For searching multiple fields in a MS Access database records,
    try:

    SQL = "SELECT * FROM tblYour WHERE field1 &'|'& field2 &'|'&_
    field3 &'|'& field4 LIKE '%"&searchVariable&"

    btw, it would be nice if you providea name or a nickname,
    since you depend so heavily on this NG.

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.

    Evertjan., Mar 20, 2009
  5. I would advise migrating to SQL Server Express. Failing that, what you could
    do is get something based on XPDF (such as pdftotext) and use it to extract
    the PDF data as text and put that into your database along with a reference
    to the original file. I've used something similar recently where I wanted to
    provide short extracts from the PDF data in my search results, but I did
    find that the pdftotext code doesn't handle PDF Collections (a PDF that
    contains other PDFs) and I couldn't figure out how to modify it to handle
    this.

    Dan

    Daniel Crichton, Mar 23, 2009