Search Replace Tool

Bob N.

I'm looking for a Search & Replace tool that will allow me to search through
multiple Webs on my hard drive and replace last months dates with dates for
the upcoming month.

These are all monthly calenders made with a simple 7 by 7 table. This gets
tricky since the dates for the new month will need to go into different
cells than than the dates for the old month.

If that won't work, is there any tool that could replace the entire table
with a new one with the new dates?

The idea here is to design the table only once each month and then make a
global change.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Hywel Jenkins

"Bob N." <benny said:
I'm looking for a Search & Replace tool that will allow me to search through
multiple Webs on my hard drive and replace last months dates with dates for
the upcoming month.

These are all monthly calenders made with a simple 7 by 7 table. This gets
tricky since the dates for the new month will need to go into different
cells than than the dates for the old month.

If that won't work, is there any tool that could replace the entire table
with a new one with the new dates?

The idea here is to design the table only once each month and then make a
global change.

I would expect http://www.tucows.com/ to have something. However, I
think you're trying to solve the problem the wrong way. What will
happen next month? Will you have to re-do this search & replace thing
again? It would be far easier to use a little bit of server-side
scripting to generate the calendar for you.

Bob N.

Thanks for your reply. I'm open to any suggestions you might have. Now, I'm
changing the dates for all calendars, each month by hand which is slow,
tedious and error prone. However, I know nothing about server side scripting
and am not a programmer.

I do change the look of these calendars a little from time to time by adding
text, background color, graphics and/or links inside the cells after I have
added the dates for the new month. That said, is there some software, or
better yet, a script that I could copy that would update the dates for me
and then allow me to make the changes I may need to make?

Dennis M. Marks

I have read the following message from "Bob N."
<benny(no**spam)@sisys.net>
and have decided to lend my vast knowledge.

The writer said:
I'm looking for a Search & Replace tool that will allow me to search through
multiple Webs on my hard drive and replace last months dates with dates for
the upcoming month.

These are all monthly calenders made with a simple 7 by 7 table. This gets
tricky since the dates for the new month will need to go into different
cells than than the dates for the old month.

If that won't work, is there any tool that could replace the entire table
with a new one with the new dates?

The idea here is to design the table only once each month and then make a
global change.

Thanks for any suggestions!

and my reply is:
You probably need a text editing program that can use GREP and modify
multiple files at the same time. GREP is a search format that can
search by very flexable strings and replace any parts of the strings.
On the Macintosh the best program is BBEDIT. I don't know what is
available for the PC.

kayodeok

The writer said:
and my reply is:
You probably need a text editing program that can use GREP and
modify multiple files at the same time. GREP is a search format
that can search by very flexable strings and replace any parts
of the strings. On the Macintosh the best program is BBEDIT. I
don't know what is available for the PC.

Most text editors other than NotePad can do this; I use EditPlus
which allows for Regular Expressions but I am sure it can be
accomplished in TextPad, HTML-Kit etc.

However, I think Hywel had the right answer here; if the OP is
going to do this every month, then a server-side script is
necessary. I hear PHP is easy to pick up...

Bob N.

When you say, "I hear PHP is easy to pick up" please tell me what you mean.
Do you mean it's easy to copy a PHP script from a site that allows it?

kayodeok

When you say, "I hear PHP is easy to pick up" please tell me
what you mean. Do you mean it's easy to copy a PHP script from a
site that allows it?

I mean, I hear it is easy to learn from scratch, but if you wish to
pick up a script and modify it, it shouldn't be a problem either, I
have done it in the past without any help but I wouldn't know where
to find a script for you because the script I have modified either
belonged to Brucie or Toby (in this group) and their scripts were
easily to understand anyway.

PHP is only one option as a server side programming language
though...there is Perl, Python etc

Bob

I'm looking for a Search & Replace tool that will allow me to search through
multiple Webs on my hard drive and replace last months dates with dates for
the upcoming month.

You can use UltraEdit (www.ultraedit.com) to search and replace in
multiple files at once.

However, I agree with the others... a program that generates your
variable output is probably better if you are just using calendars.
If you are customizing the calendar each month with event on
changing dates it gets much more complicated.

Mark B.

If that won't work, is there any tool that could replace the entire table
with a new one with the new dates?

The idea here is to design the table only once each month and then make a
global change.

What you are looking for is a tool which can seach for and replace
large chunks of text or code.

I'll limit myself to 2 freeware programmes:

1) Stone's Webwriter (a very good web editor imho; free for personal
non-commercial use) which has an "Extended Replace" feature capable of
the above.
http://www.webwriter.dk/english/index.htm
The Danish page mentions a new version (4.0) but that version has not
been translated into English yet.

2) A straightforward utility which also does the job: "BK ReplaceEm is
a text search-and-replace program. Unlike a standard text editor, BK
ReplaceEm operates on multiple text files at a time. You can setup a
list of search-replace operations to perform on different sets of
files. You can specify a backup file for each file processed, and you
can also decide to save processed files to specific locations, rather
than their original file paths. Includes full Regular Expression
support and much more!"
http://www.orbit.org/replace/bkrep20.exe

Mark B.

Bob N.