    The idea here is to design the table only once each month and then make a
    global change.

    Thanks for any suggestions!

    Bob N., Jan 2, 2004

  2. In article <bMeJb.32414$>, "Bob N." <benny
    (no**spam)@sisys.net> says...
    > I'm looking for a Search & Replace tool that will allow me to search through
    > multiple Webs on my hard drive and replace last months dates with dates for
    > the upcoming month.
    >
    > These are all monthly calenders made with a simple 7 by 7 table. This gets
    > tricky since the dates for the new month will need to go into different
    > cells than than the dates for the old month.
    >
    > If that won't work, is there any tool that could replace the entire table
    > with a new one with the new dates?
    >
    > The idea here is to design the table only once each month and then make a
    > global change.

    I would expect http://www.tucows.com/ to have something. However, I
    think you're trying to solve the problem the wrong way. What will
    happen next month? Will you have to re-do this search & replace thing
    again? It would be far easier to use a little bit of server-side
    scripting to generate the calendar for you.

    --
    Hywel I do not eat quiche
    http://hyweljenkins.co.uk/

    Hywel Jenkins, Jan 2, 2004

  3. Bob N.

    Bob N. Guest

    Thanks for your reply. I'm open to any suggestions you might have. Now, I'm
    changing the dates for all calendars, each month by hand which is slow,
    tedious and error prone. However, I know nothing about server side scripting
    and am not a programmer.

    I do change the look of these calendars a little from time to time by adding
    text, background color, graphics and/or links inside the cells after I have
    added the dates for the new month. That said, is there some software, or
    better yet, a script that I could copy that would update the dates for me
    and then allow me to make the changes I may need to make?

    Bob N., Jan 2, 2004
  4. I have read the following message from "Bob N."
    <benny(no**spam)@sisys.net>
    and have decided to lend my vast knowledge.

    The writer said:
    > I'm looking for a Search & Replace tool that will allow me to search through
    > multiple Webs on my hard drive and replace last months dates with dates for
    > the upcoming month.
    >
    > These are all monthly calenders made with a simple 7 by 7 table. This gets
    > tricky since the dates for the new month will need to go into different
    > cells than than the dates for the old month.
    >
    > If that won't work, is there any tool that could replace the entire table
    > with a new one with the new dates?
    >
    > The idea here is to design the table only once each month and then make a
    > global change.
    >
    > Thanks for any suggestions!

    and my reply is:
    You probably need a text editing program that can use GREP and modify
    multiple files at the same time. GREP is a search format that can
    search by very flexable strings and replace any parts of the strings.
    On the Macintosh the best program is BBEDIT. I don't know what is
    available for the PC.

    --
    Dennis M. Marks
    http://www.dcs-chico.com/~denmarks/

    Dennis M. Marks, Jan 2, 2004
  5. Bob N.

    kayodeok Guest

    "Dennis M. Marks" <> wrote in

    > I have read the following message from "Bob N."
    > <benny(no**spam)@sisys.net>
    > and have decided to lend my vast knowledge.
    >
    > The writer said:
    >> I'm looking for a Search & Replace tool that will allow me to
    >> search through multiple Webs on my hard drive and replace last
    >> months dates with dates for the upcoming month.
    >>

    > and my reply is:
    > You probably need a text editing program that can use GREP and
    > modify multiple files at the same time. GREP is a search format
    > that can search by very flexable strings and replace any parts
    > of the strings. On the Macintosh the best program is BBEDIT. I
    > don't know what is available for the PC.

    Most text editors other than NotePad can do this; I use EditPlus
    which allows for Regular Expressions but I am sure it can be
    accomplished in TextPad, HTML-Kit etc.

    However, I think Hywel had the right answer here; if the OP is
    going to do this every month, then a server-side script is
    necessary. I hear PHP is easy to pick up...

    --
    Kayode Okeyode
    http://www.kayodeok.co.uk/weblog/

    kayodeok, Jan 2, 2004
  6. Bob N.

    Bob N. Guest

    When you say, "I hear PHP is easy to pick up" please tell me what you mean.
    Do you mean it's easy to copy a PHP script from a site that allows it?

    Bob N., Jan 2, 2004
  7. Bob N.

    kayodeok Guest

    "Bob N." <benny(no**spam)@sisys.net> wrote in

    > When you say, "I hear PHP is easy to pick up" please tell me
    > what you mean. Do you mean it's easy to copy a PHP script from a
    > site that allows it?

    I mean, I hear it is easy to learn from scratch, but if you wish to
    pick up a script and modify it, it shouldn't be a problem either, I
    have done it in the past without any help but I wouldn't know where
    to find a script for you because the script I have modified either
    belonged to Brucie or Toby (in this group) and their scripts were
    easily to understand anyway.

    PHP is only one option as a server side programming language
    though...there is Perl, Python etc

    kayodeok, Jan 2, 2004
  8. Bob N.

    Bob N. Guest

    Does anyone know where I can get a script for this, maybe an .asp script?

    Bob N., Jan 2, 2004
  9. Bob N.

    Bob Guest

    On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 13:56:23 GMT, "Bob N." <benny(no**spam)@sisys.net>
    wrote:

    >I'm looking for a Search & Replace tool that will allow me to search through
    >multiple Webs on my hard drive and replace last months dates with dates for
    >the upcoming month.

    You can use UltraEdit (www.ultraedit.com) to search and replace in
    multiple files at once.

    However, I agree with the others... a program that generates your
    variable output is probably better if you are just using calendars.
    If you are customizing the calendar each month with event on
    changing dates it gets much more complicated.

    Bob, Jan 3, 2004
  10. Bob N.

    Bob N. Guest

    Thanks for the link. I have written the developer.

    Bob N., Jan 3, 2004
  11. Bob N.

    Mark B. Guest

    "Bob N." <benny(no**spam)@sisys.net> wondered on Fri, 02 Jan 2004
    13:56:23 GMT:

    > If that won't work, is there any tool that could replace the entire table
    > with a new one with the new dates?
    >
    > The idea here is to design the table only once each month and then make a
    > global change.

    What you are looking for is a tool which can seach for and replace
    large chunks of text or code.

    I'll limit myself to 2 freeware programmes:

    1) Stone's Webwriter (a very good web editor imho; free for personal
    non-commercial use) which has an "Extended Replace" feature capable of
    the above.
    http://www.webwriter.dk/english/index.htm
    The Danish page mentions a new version (4.0) but that version has not
    been translated into English yet.

    2) A straightforward utility which also does the job: "BK ReplaceEm is
    a text search-and-replace program. Unlike a standard text editor, BK
    ReplaceEm operates on multiple text files at a time. You can setup a
    list of search-replace operations to perform on different sets of
    files. You can specify a backup file for each file processed, and you
    can also decide to save processed files to specific locations, rather
    than their original file paths. Includes full Regular Expression
    support and much more!"
    http://www.orbit.org/replace/bkrep20.exe

    Mark B.

    Mark B., Jan 3, 2004
  12. Bob N.

    Bob N. Guest

    Thanks Mark. I'll give those two a try.

    Bob N., Jan 3, 2004
  13. Bob N.

    Bob Guest

    On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 04:45:38 GMT, "Bob N." <benny(no**spam)@sisys.net>
    wrote:

    >Thanks for the link. I have written the developer.

    You can download and test for free. It's shareware, limited
    time IIRC.

    Bob, Jan 3, 2004