Search through office files

Darko

I have a Microsoft (R) Visio (TM) document, which contains a link
inside (eg. to "http://blabla/"). When I do a full-text search from
within Windows Explorer, searching for "blabla", it finds that
document. But when I view the document as a plain text file, viewing it
in Notepad or Wordpad, or even programmatically searching for the text
"blabla" from a C programme, then it can't be found.

I would like to make a C programme that would be able to search through
a Visio file so that I can automate some processes. But it is as if the
text is not inside. How do I solve the issue? Is it possible that it's
a matter of charset, or some cypher stuff, or what? Is there some
library that would make it possible?

thanks,

Darko

Walter Roberson

I have a Microsoft (R) Visio (TM) document, which contains a link
inside (eg. to "http://blabla/"). When I do a full-text search from
within Windows Explorer, searching for "blabla", it finds that
document. But when I view the document as a plain text file, viewing it
in Notepad or Wordpad, or even programmatically searching for the text
"blabla" from a C programme, then it can't be found.

That doesn't sound like a C-specific problem.

I would like to make a C programme that would be able to search through
a Visio file so that I can automate some processes.

The Visio file format is not defined (or even mentioned) by the
ANSI/ISO C standards, so this really isn't the right newsgroup.
But it is as if the
text is not inside. How do I solve the issue? Is it possible that it's
a matter of charset, or some cypher stuff, or what? Is there some
library that would make it possible?

[OT]
UTF-8. Each character is probably occupying two bytes. For regular
printable ASCII characters, alternate bytes are probably binary 0's.

Rich Gibbs

Darko said the following, on 05/05/06 14:11:
I have a Microsoft (R) Visio (TM) document, which contains a link
inside (eg. to "http://blabla/"). When I do a full-text search from
within Windows Explorer, searching for "blabla", it finds that
document. But when I view the document as a plain text file, viewing it
in Notepad or Wordpad, or even programmatically searching for the text
"blabla" from a C programme, then it can't be found.

I would like to make a C programme that would be able to search through
a Visio file so that I can automate some processes. But it is as if the
text is not inside. How do I solve the issue? Is it possible that it's
a matter of charset, or some cypher stuff, or what? Is there some
library that would make it possible?

Your basic problem appears to be how to interpret the contents of MS
Visio files. This question is off-topic for this group, which discusses
the standard C language and its use. You are more likely to get useful

[OT]
I suspect that your difficulty may have to do with text being stored in
some non-obvious character set, which Windows Explorer knows about, but
you, at the moment, don't. The following site has some information on
different file formats, and you might find it useful:
<http://www.wotsit.org/>
[/OT]