    only got scanned text.

    Can ppl suggest a url with fully searchable text of the book?

    Thanx M8S.
    just another hacker, Dec 28, 2007

  2. just another hacker

    Flash Gordon Guest

    just another hacker wrote, On 28/12/07 16:56:
    > Word Up Friends ~
    >
    > I wuz after an online copy of K&R C book... found me a pdf, but it's
    > only got scanned text.

    Please report that site to the publisher. It is in breach of copyright.

    > Can ppl suggest a url with fully searchable text of the book?

    There are no legally available electronic copies of K&R. None. All such
    copies are illegal and using one instead of buying a legal copy is
    denying the authors money for the work they put in, money that they
    deserve in my opinion.
    --
    Flash Gordon
    Flash Gordon, Dec 28, 2007

  3. In article <-gordon.me.uk>,
    Flash Gordon <> wrote:

    >There are no legally available electronic copies of K&R. None. All such
    >copies are illegal and using one instead of buying a legal copy is
    >denying the authors money for the work they put in, money that they
    >deserve in my opinion.

    I know what you mean, but I -suspect- you are technically wrong.
    There are probably electronic copies of the book for use by the blind.
    (I have personally met two blind programmers, so I know for
    sure they exist.)
    --
    "I was very young in those days, but I was also rather dim."
    -- Christopher Priest
    Walter Roberson, Dec 28, 2007
  4. Walter Roberson said:

    > In article <-gordon.me.uk>,
    > Flash Gordon <> wrote:
    >
    >>There are no legally available electronic copies of K&R. None. All such
    >>copies are illegal and using one instead of buying a legal copy is
    >>denying the authors money for the work they put in, money that they
    >>deserve in my opinion.

    > I know what you mean, but I -suspect- you are technically wrong.
    > There are probably electronic copies of the book for use by the blind.

    ISTR Greg Doensch (who is the Prentice Hall person responsible for K&R)
    once telling me that no electronic version of any edition of K&R legally
    exists. Either he's wrong or you are (or of course I could be
    disremembering, but I don't think I am).

    Email: -http://www. +rjh@
    Richard Heathfield, Dec 28, 2007
  5. just another hacker

    Ben Pfaff Guest

    Richard Heathfield <> writes:

    > Walter Roberson said:
    >
    >> In article <-gordon.me.uk>,
    >> Flash Gordon <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>There are no legally available electronic copies of K&R. None. All such
    >>>copies are illegal and using one instead of buying a legal copy is
    >>>denying the authors money for the work they put in, money that they
    >>>deserve in my opinion.

    >> I know what you mean, but I -suspect- you are technically wrong.
    >> There are probably electronic copies of the book for use by the blind.

    > ISTR Greg Doensch (who is the Prentice Hall person responsible for K&R)
    > once telling me that no electronic version of any edition of K&R legally
    > exists. Either he's wrong or you are (or of course I could be
    > disremembering, but I don't think I am).

    An electronic version of K&R could exist without Prentice Hall's
    knowledge or approval, because in the US creation of media
    exclusively for use of the blind does not require permission of
    the copyright holder.
    --
    "C has its problems, but a language designed from scratch would have some too,
    and we know C's problems."
    Ben Pfaff, Dec 28, 2007
  6. In article <>,
    Richard Heathfield <> wrote:
    >Walter Roberson said:

    >> In article <-gordon.me.uk>,
    >> Flash Gordon <> wrote:

    >>>There are no legally available electronic copies of K&R. None.

    >> I know what you mean, but I -suspect- you are technically wrong.
    >> There are probably electronic copies of the book for use by the blind.

    >ISTR Greg Doensch (who is the Prentice Hall person responsible for K&R)
    >once telling me that no electronic version of any edition of K&R legally
    >exists. Either he's wrong or you are

    Checking, I see that Recording for the Blind & Dyslexic has it
    on -audio- CD, and that there is a braille copy available.

    Checking Canadian law, I see that

    32. (1) It is not an infringement of copyright for a person, at the
    request of a person with a perceptual disability, or for a non-profit
    organization acting for his or her benefit, to

    (a) make a copy or sound recording of a literary, musical,
    artistic or dramatic work, other than a cinematographic work, in
    a format specially designed for persons with a perceptual
    disability;

    http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/ShowDo...ga:l_IV//en?page=3&isPrinting=false#codese:32

    The permission of the publisher would not be needed in this case.
    --
    "All is vanity." -- Ecclesiastes
    Walter Roberson, Dec 28, 2007