Searchable text of Kernagan and Richie?

just another hacker

Word Up Friends ~

I wuz after an online copy of K&R C book... found me a pdf, but it's
only got scanned text.

Can ppl suggest a url with fully searchable text of the book?

Thanx M8S.

Flash Gordon

just another hacker wrote, On 28/12/07 16:56:
Word Up Friends ~

I wuz after an online copy of K&R C book... found me a pdf, but it's
only got scanned text.

Please report that site to the publisher. It is in breach of copyright.
Can ppl suggest a url with fully searchable text of the book?

There are no legally available electronic copies of K&R. None. All such
copies are illegal and using one instead of buying a legal copy is
denying the authors money for the work they put in, money that they
deserve in my opinion.

Walter Roberson

Flash Gordon said:
There are no legally available electronic copies of K&R. None. All such
copies are illegal and using one instead of buying a legal copy is
denying the authors money for the work they put in, money that they
deserve in my opinion.

I know what you mean, but I -suspect- you are technically wrong.
There are probably electronic copies of the book for use by the blind.
(I have personally met two blind programmers, so I know for
sure they exist.)

Richard Heathfield

Walter Roberson said:
I know what you mean, but I -suspect- you are technically wrong.
There are probably electronic copies of the book for use by the blind.

ISTR Greg Doensch (who is the Prentice Hall person responsible for K&R)
once telling me that no electronic version of any edition of K&R legally
exists. Either he's wrong or you are (or of course I could be
disremembering, but I don't think I am).

Ben Pfaff

Richard Heathfield said:
Walter Roberson said:

ISTR Greg Doensch (who is the Prentice Hall person responsible for K&R)
once telling me that no electronic version of any edition of K&R legally
exists. Either he's wrong or you are (or of course I could be
disremembering, but I don't think I am).

An electronic version of K&R could exist without Prentice Hall's
knowledge or approval, because in the US creation of media
exclusively for use of the blind does not require permission of
the copyright holder.

Walter Roberson

Walter Roberson said:
ISTR Greg Doensch (who is the Prentice Hall person responsible for K&R)
once telling me that no electronic version of any edition of K&R legally
exists. Either he's wrong or you are

Checking, I see that Recording for the Blind & Dyslexic has it
on -audio- CD, and that there is a braille copy available.

Checking Canadian law, I see that

32. (1) It is not an infringement of copyright for a person, at the
request of a person with a perceptual disability, or for a non-profit
organization acting for his or her benefit, to

(a) make a copy or sound recording of a literary, musical,
artistic or dramatic work, other than a cinematographic work, in
a format specially designed for persons with a perceptual
disability;

http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/ShowDo...ga:l_IV//en?page=3&isPrinting=false#codese:32

The permission of the publisher would not be needed in this case.